Angel with strange growth. pics included

1. GMCMaxx Member Member

The growth is on my angel's nose or upper lip. It started small and grew to its current size over approximatly 3-4 weeks. It has not grown or shrunk at all for the last few weeks. It appears to be "bubble like." Rather than one "bubble" it is comprised of several smaller "bubbles". Maybe a dozen or so. It looks to be filled with fluid. It has a rasberry-like texture. I described it to an "expert" at my LFS. He thinks it is not a disease. He thinks it is an injury ...like a bloodblister. I'm not convinced. Otherwise the fish is fine. It's acting normal and eating just fine. The growth doesn't seem to bother him at all.
    My water readings are normal: Amm-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-10-20.
    If anyone here has seen this before or if anyone has suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW: I'm currently treating for Ich. Raised temp to 66F and slowly added 5tbs of salt. Only my two Angels have it.

EDIT: I raised the temp to 86F not 66F. sorry.

Attached Files:

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

that is a very weird bubble..ive never seen such a thing.....i hope carol see's this thread!!
    for ich , the temps need to be up to 84F to kill the ich cycle....and im concerned if you are slowly raising it to 66F , what do you keep it at normally? angels are tropical fish and require steady temps of 78-80F at all times....keep a good eye on them as well with the salt..they dont care for it ...good luck with them!

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

4. GMCMaxx Member Member

Opps! That's a typo. I raised the temp to 86F. Normally the tank is at 79F. Sorry about that.

5. GMCMaxx Member Member

I've kept the salt dosage very low. Only 1tbs per 10 gal. And I've been keeping a close eye on them to make sure all is well.
    Thanks for the link Ken. I'll check it out now and let you know.

6. GMCMaxx Member Member

I've looked at all the pics in the links. Plus I did my own google image search for "lymphocystis". Although my fish's bubble doesn't look exactly like the pictures, I believe that is what my Angel has. It's a viral infection that will eventually rupture and release the virus throughout the tank. As long as the other fish don't have any open wounds they should be fine. But, the virus can lay dormant for a long time. So, I am in the process of setting up a quarantine tank. (I have to go buy the whole setup). I should have it ready by next weekend. Hopefully the bubble doesn't rupture before then.
    Wish me luck!

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello GMC. Here is a link to a cheap, quick quarantine set up you may find helpful. At least give you an idea:

Quick and dirty quarantine setup

Best of luck! Please keep us posted.
    Ken

8. GMCMaxx Member Member

Thanks for the link. That's basically what I had in mind. The only difference is that I will use a regular 10gal fish tank.