Angel upside down HELP!!!!!!!

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
My angel has been upside down now for a couple of hours. Once in awhile it will swim right side up go to the top, then sink to the bottom and go upside down again.  Does anyone know what I should do??????

I placed it in a 10 gal tank, levels in tank are all 0 with nitrates at 15ppm.

Raised tank temp to 80 for now will increase again in am. Went and got tank buudy for fungus and put one tab in tank. will have to wait and see what happens in the morning am getting tired.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Does it obviously have fungus? If not lets not medicate until we figure out whats wrong.
It will be more comfortable at that temp anyway. see if you can get it to eat something green. Veggie flakes, maybe a shelled pea.
Carol

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
the parameters are the same in all of the tanks, and were that way when they got sick. I went and got the fungus treatment last night when I noticed that the other angels fins were splitting and had a white goo looking stuff hanging off of them, The top fin is also split and looks to be disintegrating. the upside down angel is still breathing but still upside down. keeps getting caught in things like plants and the filter. snails are also liking to sit on it.
The only thing I can think of that might have caused any of this is the new angels i bought, quarantined for a week and put into the tank to try and make pairs, Well all the new angels ended up dying. That was about 4 days before my big angels started getting sick. The baby angels just died didn't see any funny behavior just laid on the bottom and quit breathing.
I bought the tabs, but I can get melafix if that might work better. wasn't sure so i went with the tabsbecause i have heard that people have used them and they worked. Let me know what else i can do to save my angels. They are veil marbles with orange on their crowns and about the body size of a half dollar. I will try sugesstions, but how do you get a fish to eat when its not eating?? Thanks all Heidi

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If it can right itself when it wants to then it is not swimbladder disease. It sounds like maybe "air gulping" as the book says. The fish are coming to the top of the tank and swallowing air when the eat the food on the surface and then to add to it the fact that the conditions in the tank have not been healthy with dying fish and all. Sounds like an infection, but the swimbladder isn't it if the fish CAN turn itself right side up when it wants to. If the swimbladder was diseased or the whole problem the fish could NOT right itself.

I am sorry I don't know what to say about what it IS, but thought you could cross the swimbladder off the list.

Rose
???

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fish update. Instead of being upside down.... she is now nose down in a plant. no longer able to swim right.. And color around the tail is fading and i can see the insides of her tail... Still breathing and moving her fins just not going anywhere. will try to get a pic on here if i can to see if that helps. Thanks Heidi

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
LAtest update................ Upside down angel has went to the great fishi beyond. :'( :'( The other who is now called Gizmo is still with us. No longer a Veil angel right now but am hoping that the veils will come back. The guppies were starting to show signs of the fins rot since they were als oin the same tank. So now I have a lot of fishies in medication to get better. I hate when this happens. I love the larger tanks but when you get a disease you can have a lot more to medicate at once. I guess I will now remember to quarintine for atleast 2 full weeks before adding to tank. I hope they all make it. Have one more day then I can remedicate if needed. Will update again tomorrow.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom