Angel Rams?

1. kimoore Member Member

So, i was at my LFS and they were selling Angel Rams... anybody ever heard of them?

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Never heard of them. Many time LFS will rename a fish to make it sound new, different and some how more exciting which makes them more saleable.
    any chance of pictures?
    Carol

3. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

4. kimoore Member Member

I dont have a pic. but they kinda look like a cross between an angelfish and a german ram. From what I have been reading, they are also called Balloon Rams and its a genetic defect that has been line bred. Theyre kinda neat looking. I just dont know how healthy this fish is and what the requirements are for it.

5. gourami88 Member Member

My LFS sells them, although I was warned by my fish guy that they are very sensitive and don't usually last long in anything but an absolutely pristine environment. He said they are much more sensitive than regular rams, most likely a result from the genetic defect.

6. kimoore Member Member

ya, thats what I've been reading

7. gourami88 Member Member

You should have heard the maintenance schedule my fish guy has to go through to keep them happy and healthy, much less alive! He knows his regular fish customers (like myself) and has been refusing to sell them to anyone else (tries to warn them about them first but if they persist he just flat-out says no).

8. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

That has to be the most responsable fish seller I have ever heard of.

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

10. gourami88 Member Member

He is beyond EXCELLENT! You should hear the way he talks about the fish. He refers to them in the same sense that most people refer to their pet dogs or cats. He really is an asset, and has created MANY responsible fish owners who keep coming back to him. He is very knowledgable, and has a way of passing on tips and proper fishkeeping skills in a way that doesn't make you feel like a total dunce. He has helped me countless times (with countless success). He'll special order any plant of fish he can for me which is nice. He always makes sre tanks have proper lighting, ferts, substrates, fauna, flora, etc. to coexist and thrive. I wish you all could come with me sometime :D

11. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

What City is he in? I go to WA a lot.

12. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Is it in Issaquah? They have a really good one, blue sierra exotics, I love that place. Wish I didn't live 3 hours away.

13. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I used to live in Federal Way, not all "that" far from Issaquah.

14. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I've been there for soccer games. It takes forever to get there. If you're ever anywhere in the area, check out blue sierra exotics. They've got fresh and saltwater and a large range of healthy fish. It's on the older version of front street. They have a website too.

15. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

They have a great website!

16. gourami88 Member Member

Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island :D

17. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Thats far away from the places I go, lol.

18. gourami88 Member Member

Yes, we are kinda on our own out here.

19. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Only 2 hours away from us... I'll have to look for that if I'm in the area. And by the way, I had spring fever yesterday, and had to play in the snow. In port angeles we stopped at a store called Tiny Bubbles. They didn't have many fish because they were switching to a different seller, but they had prairie dogs and a talking parrot. There was a giant fish tank with a monster cichlid that would beat up any tank mates except this 18 inch long pleco with it. (They had a jack dempsey recovering upstairs in a QT tank). I thought it was a pretty cool store.

20. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

OK back on to the topic. yeah. XD.

Ballon ram=angel ram, genetic mutations with a history of heavy inbreeding to achive something of a freak of nature that has terrible genetics, extremely sensitve and prone to various problems. You still want to own them and support the sale, by all means no ones holding ya back ;)

I honestly cant belive that member in the thread link tried to compare albino fish to mishapen fish. albino requires no inbreeding, no mishaping, has little to no effect on the actual fish and there are plenty of wild albino fish, you will NEVER find a ballon ram that breeds true in the wild.