angel question

1. kennytheshark Initiate Member

Hi everyone!

I have another fish question that I hope you can help with. I have two angels in my tank they are both about 1 year old and they grew up together. 1 of the angels has a very healthy appetite and attacks the food as soon as I put it in the tank...quite honestly he is eating me out of house and home! I try to feed him separately so the other fish get a chance to eat. He is not really my concern though...it is my other angel...he never "attacked" the food, but he is a pretty good eater, and then yesterday he didn't eat any breakfast, he only ate a tiny amount at snack time, and then he didn't have any dinner. I figured he would be starving this morning, but he didn't eat any breakfast this morning either. I've tested the water, and everything is normal. He also doesn't look sick (no ich or fin rot and swimming normally) and all my other fish ate just fine. Maybe he's on a diet? ;D Can anyone give me an explanation?
    Thanks for your help!

2. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I think this is quite common among angelfish because one of my angels did that once or twice too. She just wouldn't eat, no matter what I did. I thought she'd starve to death. But she didn't. And after a while she went back to eating normally. This has always baffled me as my water parameters and everything else were fine as well. I don't think there is much you can do but wait until the fish decides to eat again. Well, what you could (or should) do is try feeding it with a different food such as blood worms. Angelfish can be quite whimsy and they may go on a hunger strike if they don't like the food you're feeding them with, or if they get bored of eating the same type of food all the time. I feed my angels with tropical crunch, flakes, and frozen blood worms. I don't have that problem anymore.

3. kennytheshark Initiate Member

Hi Isabella!

Thanks for yet another great response! ;D I feed my angels different foods...they get flakes in the morning, blood worms in the afternoon, and brine shrimp at night. It has been a while now and my angel still looks fine... maybe he is eating when no one is looking? It is just so odd. As I mentioned the other angel eats like there is no tomorrow! I will try to feed them something different and hope it works. Thanks again!

4. kennytheshark Initiate Member

Re: angel question...urgent!!!!

Hello again!

Ok I really really need help! I thought my angel would be fine, but he starved to death! He just stopped eating and after almost a year he is now dead. Why would that happen? Also today my other angel who was eating everything in sight has not eaten a thing all day! I don't want him to suffer the same tragedy! I just did a water change yesterday, I have checked the water and all my ph levels, nitrates, temperature etc is ok. I haven't added any new fish or done anything different than I normally do. I would appreciate any advice. Thank You

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

All I can think of is possibly an internal parasite? Try some medicated food if you can get some. Do this before he stops eating completely.

6. kennytheshark Initiate Member

Hi Gunnie,

Thanks for your reply. I am going to run out to the fish store tonight. Hopefully he'll be ok! I'll keep you updated!

7. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

As always in cases of fish acting abnormal, a largeish (35% or so) water change would not be out of order, even if all the prematers you check are fine.

Dino

8. kennytheshark Initiate Member

Hi everyone!

I went to the fish store, and had them test my water and I told them what happened. They said everything looked fine and it was a mystery. Then I told them that I bought 3 swordtails about a month and a half ago and two of them died mysteriously in the first week. I chalked it up to "they must have been sick when I bought them" The guy at the store said if they had parasites, it could fester in the fish for a long time and it wouldn't be uncommon for the other fish to get infected and then die months later. He said they might have gill fluke? I bought some medication it is made by Kordon and is called formalin 3. It is a formaldahide and we are using it as a dip. Hopefully this will work, and I hope other people read this and they can learn. I should have quarentined the fish first before introducing them into my tank...now I know. I hope to get the hang of this soon!