Angel Pictus Fight

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I bought an angel and a pictus today and now the pictus will swim up to the angel and push him around a little, then leave when the angel backs down. Is this normal behavior from a pictus? The angel fights back a little so I'm not worried as of now, and I've heard angels grow fast so I'm hoping he'll get bigger then the pictus soon. The pictus is about three inches and the angel's about two.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never had either fish, but that sounds like dominant behavior. My convict cichlids would do similar things when defending their territory to remind the others not to get too close. Is the pictus biting or seeming to hurt the angel?

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
No, he just sort of swam up to him and the angel kept backing up, and so the pictus kept shoving him. The thing is the angel was in the middle of the tank and the pictus was just passing by...it only happened once or twice so I'm hoping it was a fluke. The pictus is awesome though...may get a few more.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You'll have to watch to make sure it doesn't turn into bullying or full-on aggression, then. Maybe some experts or more knowledgeable people will have advice.

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah they're on opposite sides of the tank now. I think it was a onetime thing but I'll watch it. Thanks!

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If something moves when a pictus swims into it, it will keep swimming in that direction, they don't really care if they run into another fish unless it is small enough for them to eat, do you have a buddy for the pictus?

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
No, I was going to get two but then last minute decided to only get one (they were nine bucks a piece)...been kicking myself ever since. He swims around by himself though, totally ignores the other fish. He's really cool.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom