Angel Not Eating & Losing Colour

bowerpower77

Reaction score
I've successfully grown water wisteria without root tabs, liquid fertilizers, or CO2.

Hey Crispii, sorry im new to all this i don't know how to get a hold of you directly but I have a question, my angelfish isn't doing well and I believe he is dying and i have no idea what to do. The water levels are great everything is going good, but he hasn't been acting the same, he stopped eating and he became antisocial and up until today I noticed he is losing his color and you can see his scales which i usually don't see. He also has this stuff hanging off of him like his skin is deteriorating, any ideas of what to do?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
can you tell us the tank size and the exact parameters? Is there anything visibly wrong with him other than getting pale?
@Crispii

bowerpower77

Reaction score
can you tell us the tank size and the exact parameters? Is there anything visibly wrong with him other than getting pale?
@Crispii
He was in a 36 Gallon bow front community tank and I had the water tested last night, everything is great, well was great besides the nitrite, that was in between the 20-40 range which I took care of as soon as I got home. So yeah the water was fine. His skin looks like it's been deteriorating and coming off, don't really know how to explain it. If you can see the photos I have maybe you can see something I don't.

He is in a 10 gallon quarantine tank at the moment.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Another thing that I want to ask is, what other fish live with your angel? Chances are is that one of your fish might be harassing the angel. A stressed fish will often get sick and lose their coloration.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, NitrIte tests that I know of only go to 5ppm...if you meant NitrAte that level is ok as long as you keep it on the low end of that
And I don't know how to get rid of nitrites in the 20-40 range right away as soon as you get home. I'm really thinking he meant nitrAte. My BFF still gets them mixed after telling her a million times. Sometimes after 2 seconds lol!

Agreed, even 40ppm nitrAte wouldn't cause the symptoms your angel is displaying, but you were due for a water change, so you did the right thing. How long have you had this angel? When did the symptoms start?

When you say everything was great, what were your ammonia and nitrite levels? And pH? And if you know KH/GH that might be helpful too. Only if you have them, I'm more concerned with helping this angel now.

@Crispii is absolutely right, 50% daily water changes are in order for the 10g. Especially with him being in a 10g, an angel takes a lot of bioload in there. Worst thing for him is a spike of toxic ammonia or nitrite.

Last edited:

bowerpower77

Reaction score
Yeah I did a little mess up on that. The nitrate was in the 20-40 range and I brought it back down, the nitrite levels were at 0 along with the ammonia and chlorine. The pH levels were also in between the 7.2-7.8 range so that was great too. The fish I had mixed in my tank were two dwarf guarmis and two cory catfish and two turquoise rainbowfish and a dwarf neon rainbowfish. Then I had one dalmation molly and a school of four rose finned tetras that all died within the last week along with my other school of 7 neon tetras, they were all dealt with asap. Whatever the tetras had was given to the angelfish that actually passed away a couple hours ago. I still have no idea what was going on, I was thinking it was ick or a fungus so I got the stuff to treat that and proved to of been no help.

And I don't know how to get rid of nitrites in the 20-40 range right away as soon as you get home. I'm really thinking he meant nitrAte. My BFF still gets them mixed after telling her a million times. Sometimes after 2 seconds lol!
The person at the petstore was saying all you need to do is do a small vaccume of the gravel on the bottom and I should be good.

Agreed, even 40ppm nitrAte wouldn't cause the symptoms your angel is displaying, but you were due for a water change, so you did the right thing. How long have you had this angel? When did the symptoms start?

When you say everything was great, what were your ammonia and nitrite levels? And pH? And if you know KH/GH that might be helpful too. Only if you have them, I'm more concerned with helping this angel now.

@Crispii is absolutely right, 50% daily water changes are in order for the 10g. Especially with him being in a 10g, an angel takes a lot of bioload in there. Worst thing for him is a spike of toxic ammonia or nitrite.
I've had the angel for about two months, I got him from a friend, but the symptoms didn't start till just 3 days prior. I noticed he wouldn't come to the front no more or follow me like he usually does. He decided to go back under the filter and stayed in the current and wouldn't eat anything I gave him, his diet was always regular fish flakes and every now and then i'd mix in brine shrimp which he loved and sometimes i'd give them blood worms. None of that worked and up until this morning he was sitting on the bottom which wasn't something he ever did so I put him into a quarantine tank where he started dying no matter what I did for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah I did a little mess up on that. The nitrate was in the 20-40 range and I brought it back down, the nitrite levels were at 0 along with the ammonia and chlorine. The pH levels were also in between the 7.2-7.8 range so that was great too. The fish I had mixed in my tank were two dwarf guarmis and two cory catfish and two turquoise rainbowfish and a dwarf neon rainbowfish. Then I had one dalmation molly and a school of four rose finned tetras that all died within the last week along with my other school of 7 neon tetras, they were all dealt with asap. Whatever the tetras had was given to the angelfish that actually passed away a couple hours ago. I still have no idea what was going on, I was thinking it was ick or a fungus so I got the stuff to treat that and proved to of been no help.
1. Certain fish should not housed in a 36 gallon. They need to be in large aquarium, such as the rainbows.

2. Two dwarf gourami is going to be a disaster as they will be constantly fighting.

3. The rainbows and corys do best in a group of 6+ of the same species.

4. Pics will be helpful.

bowerpower77

Reaction score
Another thing that I want to ask is, what other fish live with your angel? Chances are is that one of your fish might be harassing the angel. A stressed fish will often get sick and lose their coloration.
The fish never bothered him, he was much bigger than them too but they all got along well. Never any problems with aggression in the tank.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

bowerpower77

Reaction score
1. Certain fish should not housed in a 36 gallon. They need to be in large aquarium, such as the rainbows.

2. Two dwarf gourami is going to be a disaster as they will be constantly fighting.

3. The rainbows and corys do best in a group of 6+ of the same species.

4. Pics will be helpful.
It sounds like hexamita to me. Do you know the color of the feces?
I added pics from just a few weeks prior, everything was going well, the only newer fish I have added were a few more neon tetras to add to the school of them. That's it but no other fish have been added, I had two other dwarf neon rainbows with the one I have left, one was old that I got from my friend and the other one I have no idea how he died, but I woke up one morning and he was stuck in the log you see in the far right hand corner so i'm thinking he got stuck since he was in that.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually treated hexamita, which I think it was, before on my first angel. I noticed one day that my angel would not move or eat and had white stringy feces. I moved him onto my 5 gallon tank (it was the only spare tank that I have at the time) and I treated him with General Cure and daily water changes of around 50-70%. This process took about a week for him to be completely cured of whatever disease he might have.

I don't quiet remember, pretty sure it was orangish. The angelfish on the other hand, i think it was a whitish strand.
It's most likely hexamita.

bowerpower77

Reaction score
I think it would depend how long the fish were in the tank. Just sounded like a lot of deaths at once.
There were a lot at once, I noticed on the rose finned they started getting some white spots on them and then it just got more and more and then they were covered in it, kind of like it was an extra layer of something just hanging off of them.
I actually treated hexamita, which I think it was, before on my first angel. I noticed one day that my angel would not move or eat and had white stringy feces. I moved him onto my 5 gallon tank (it was the only spare tank that I have at the time) and I treated him with General Cure and daily water changes of around 50-70%. This process took about a week for him to be completely cured of whatever disease he might have.
Did you notice anything on his skin like a fungus or something like that?

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There were a lot at once, I noticed on the rose finned they started getting some white spots on them and then it just got more and more and then they were covered in it, kind of like it was an extra layer of something just hanging off of them.

Did you notice anything on his skin like a fungus or something like that?
No. I caught it really early.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom