Angel friendly tank mates Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by trailblazer295, Mar 23, 2010.

1. t

trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

I am in the process of setting up/cycling my 30g tank and have most of my stock list other than one part. What entertaining fish would work with this list, when I saw entertaining I'm thinking along the terms of rams. I am a beginner at tropical fish.

1 pair angels
    1 pair ??????
    10 bleeding heart tetra (may change to another similar size tetra depending on availability)
    1 pair bushy nose pleco

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

rams might work :) but if you buy a pair of breeding angels, the rest will be terrorized...

3. OP
    OP
    t

What type of ram? I hear GBR are pretty picky about there water quality.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  4. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

German blue rams (or the golden or electric blue varieties, if you can find them) and Bolivian butterfly rams. I think since they prefer the bottom of the tank, the angels might leave them alone.

5. S

Sammyboi1993 Valued Member Member

German Blue Cold Be Okay not 100% Though and the German Blue has a wounderful colurs on them

6. OP
    OP
    t

The tanks rough setup will have driftwood and swords on the left side (36" long tank) and a rock pile with caves on the right side.

7. OP
    OP
    t

I've seen the GBR and they do have nice colour but I'm not sure if they are a good beginner fish.

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

First off, is the tank a TRUE 30 gallon? If it is, then I would not recommend angels because the tank is not that tall. A 29 and a 30 have very different dimensions.

A pair of BN plecos - 2 plecos are too much for a tank that size.
    A pair of ?? - I don't think a pair of anything would be good with an angel pair in that sized tank

9. OP
    OP
    t

Dimensions 36"L 16"H 12" D

10. Jaysee

That's a true 30 gallon

11. Shawnie

Identicle to one of mine with a breeding pair of angels for over 2 years DSC04699.JPG

12. OP
    OP
    t

So what do you suggest?

13. Jaysee

Listen to shawnie :)

14. OP
    OP
    t

I should mention I'll be running an AC70 to start and adding a AC30 later on (currently used on a make shift pond until the weather is suitable for the goldfish to re-enter it)

15. Shawnie

:;laughingNOT
    but...I do think 2 angels would be fine....1 plec as jaysee suggested...and either a nice school of cories, or some of the tetras you want....not sure about 10.....and again, if they are a breeding pair, they wont tolerate the tetras a bit so have a back up tank in case :)

16. OP
    OP
    t

Hard to say if its a breeding pair the LFS doesn't split male and female.

17. S

Sammyboi1993 Valued Member Member

The Rams require a Mature tank but they are easy to keep and maintain.

18. OP
    OP
    t

The AC70 currently running has media from a well established AC30 running in addition to other chemicals.

19. Shawnie

established tanks for rams doesnt mean a filter running for awhile..it means the tank should be established for 3 or more months ....what chemicals are you adding?

20. OP
    OP
    t

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice