Angel floating upside down,swim bladder? Help

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by katwright, Mar 31, 2010.

1. k

katwright New Member Member

Oh, I can't believe I'm here again with the same fish. He already had every disease in a book till the other fishes are thriving.
    So this angel had a bulging stomach for over a month now. Possibly longer. I treated him for internal parasite. Nothing, the stomach stayed. After a lot of stress, I figured he is just fat and tried to give him peas, which he ate on and off. More off then on.
    Yesterday he turned upside down and since then he is like that. I checked the water everything is fine. He also have fin rot which I'm treating with Tetracycline. That is getting better.
    I tried to give him peas he didnt want it at all. My husband unfortunately gave him pellets which he did eat.
    What do I do? How do I do an epsom salt bath? Where? I dont have another tank so just in the bucket?
    Please help, he is my favorite fish but he gives me so much stress.

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

what test kit are you using ? and when you say readings are "fine", can you post the current readings? whenever something going on isnt right, water changes with some prime or amquel+ for a few days cant hurt

I hope things look up!

3. OP
    OP
    k

Ammonia was zero, also nitrites and nitrates. I need to do a water change today because of the antibiotics for fin rot. Is there anything I can do for him to make him more comfortable? (2nd day of starving)???

4. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Aw, sorry your Angel isn't feeling well.

How long has your tank been running? Please fillout the rest of your aquarium info. :)

You should have some nitrAtes but since you are treating him in the main tank with Tetracylin (however you spell it, lol) you most likely killed your nitrifying bacteria. Most meds do. One that dose not kill the good bacteria is Melafix & it treats finrot if it's not too bad. Angles need to be kept in a cycled tank with good tank maint. & not kept with fish that nip such as Tiger Barbs. Bad water quality, fin-nipping, stress or taring a fin on an ornament and such are the causes for the infection.

Just follow the directions for the medication you are using. Get a bottle of Prime or Amquel Plus for a water conditioner (unless you already have one on hand) since you have zero readings, you are going to need it for daily water changes until the tank cycles again after you are done with the med. Adding activated carbon will help obsorb the med along with water changes. Being that the tank is not cycled your Angel will have a tough time and finrot may come back.

best of luck with you.

5. OP
    OP
    k

Thanks, I'm trying to get Amquel. I have tried Melafix, it didnt do anything. Right now He has no fin to talk about so I had to be aggressive with the antibiotics. The finrot does look much better now but he is still upside down because of the swim bladder. What I do with that, keep starving him?

PS: The tank was full cycled 3 weeks ago, it is a new tank. It took me 3 weeks to cycle it.

6. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I'm not up on treatments but I have read and heard that fish can go a week or two without food so a few days won't hurt him.

7. OP
    OP
    k

Angel horribly bloated,lays on top of the water

Sorry for doubleposting but I'm feeling, I'm losing my fav fish. I have a 30 gallon with 3 angels, 3 tiger barbs and 2 parrotfishes who are small. Ammonia zero, the water is soft but I use stress zyme and coat after every waterchange.
    This angel has a bloated stomach for 2 months now and medicated food did nothing. Every fishstore told me he is fine as long as he doesnt swim upside down. Now he is!!!1:'(
    I tried an epsom bath yesterday but he almost died as he couldnt keep his body underwater and couldnt breathe. I dumped 3 big spoonful of epsom salt in the tank.
    Peas are out of question, he didnt eat anything for a week.

He looks horrible. Here is a pic.

Please help! (I also had to treat him for finrot with Tetracycline. That looks better now)

8. Shawnie

ive merged your posts so members can see whats already been offered for advice ....I dont think anyone has said hes fine tho :(

salt and angels dont mix....did you use any of the advice AlyeskaGirl gave you? prime or amquel+ is needed asap with some daily water changes...meds arent going to help him....the salt can only be removed with water changes and he needs fresh filter media to get the meds out....stress zyme isnt going to allow the tank to properly cycle but the water changes everyday with prime or amquel+ will! I hope things look up for him!!!

9. OP
    OP
    k

Thanks for replying.
    Here is what I did: went to the fishstore and they told me prime and stress zyme is the same thing. I insisted not, but the employee told me just flush him!!!! I'm completely desperate now, every single store is worst then the other!
    I did put a brand new filter after I finished with Tetracycline and it cleared up nice. I changed the water 2 days ago.
    The bloating becoming worst.
    Can I at least leave him one more day with the epsom salt? It suppose to make him "go". It is evening, I will have to go back to the dreaded fishstore tomorrow and buy the prime and change the water.
    I hope he makes it.

10. Shawnie

I hope things look up for him!!! but salt is only going to stress him more he needs a water change to reduce the amount of salt you dumped in there:( you dont need to ask them for anything at the LFS ....just look for either prime or amquel+ ..you could have ammonia/nitrites but the stress zyme could be giving you false readings....do you have a qt tank? because the tiger barbs and the other fish will most deff pick on him ....

11. OP
    OP
    k

I dont have a QT tank. I had the 10 gallon where they lived before. I throw it out as obviously that is too small for them. That is where the bloating started. Thankfully the other fishes were never sick.
    I'm going to do a 25% WC now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice