angel fish

crazy_deeps279

Reaction score
what things should i keep in mind while purchasing angel fish?

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi, welcome to fishlore, i'm Neville,

i have 8 beautiful baby angels. well, angels r cichlids, they grow up to 6", you'll need at least a 20 gallon tank. angels r territorial, aggressive eaters, but generally peaceful, good tankmates for them r bala shark, dwarf gouramis, large tetras, discus etc. feed them pellets, flakes, dried worms, live worms and live foods. angel males and females r difficult to distinguish. u can distinguish them during spawning time, males have a cone shaped breeding tube, females have round breeding tubes. if u want to get pairs, start with 6 or 8 juvenile angels. their pH requirement is 7.0 and temperature 80 degrees Farenheit.

good luck!!!

timg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that angels grow tall, so shallow tanks aren't good either. 15" high should be minimum for them, 18" is better.

My angels get on well with neons, but only because they are small angels now. Later on, the neons will become food, if they are left together!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When you buy angels look at them for a bit and see how their swimming. If their healthy they will be graceful. Check to see they don't have any injuries(such as to the mouth, and torn fins), and their fins are all straight.
Carol

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Good morning crazy! Welcome to fishlore. You are a newbie here, but maybe not to fish keeping, but I would like to add that whether angle fish or any other, the first thing is to have a cycled tank, before you go shopping for fish. In my younger years I wanted angles, and found they died rather quickly to the new tank syndrom. So if you are new to fish keeping read and follow the advice given in the link at the bottom of this page to Fish Tank Beginners Guides. Good luck and I hope you find just what you want! Happy Easter!

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
crazy_deeps279 said:
what things should i keep in mind while purchasing angel fish?
one more thing, don't forget to cycle your tank, it's very important. read the article about nitrogen cycle on this site to learn more about cycling.

crazy_deeps279

Reaction score
thanx

Neville said:
hi, welcome to fishlore, i'm Neville,

i have 8 beautiful baby angels. well, angels r cichlids, they grow up to 6", you'll need at least a 20 gallon tank. angels r territorial, aggressive eaters, but generally peaceful, good tankmates for them r bala shark, dwarf gouramis, large tetras, discus etc. feed them pellets, flakes, dried worms, live worms and live foods. angel males and females r difficult to distinguish. u can distinguish them during spawning time, males have a cone shaped breeding tube, females have round breeding tubes. if u want to get pairs, start with 6 or 8 juvenile angels. their pH requirement is 7.0 and temperature 80 degrees Farenheit.

good luck!!!

crazy_deeps279

Reaction score
Butterfly said:
When you buy angels look at them for a bit and see how their swimming. If their healthy they will be graceful. Check to see they don't have any injuries(such as to the mouth, and torn fins), and their fins are all straight.
Carol
Thanx A lot 

crazy_deeps279

Reaction score
susitna-flower said:
  Good morning crazy!   Welcome to fishlore.     You are a newbie here, but maybe not to fish keeping, but I would like to add that whether angle fish or any other, the first thing is to have a cycled tank, before you go shopping for fish.       In my younger years I wanted angles, and found they died rather quickly to the new tank syndrom.   So if you are new to fish keeping read and follow the advice given in the link at the bottom of this page to Fish Tank Beginners Guides.   Good luck and I hope you find just what you want!    Happy Easter! 

Fish in the Frozen North  8)
Thanx 

crazy_deeps279

Reaction score
timg said:
Don't forget that angels grow tall, so shallow tanks aren't good either. 15" high should be minimum for them, 18" is better.

My angels get on well with neons, but only because they are small angels now. Later on, the neons will become food, if they are left together!
Thanx

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom