Angel Fish?

mdm2223

Valued Member
Reaction score
so I have a 55 gallon community tank with the following stocking:

14 Cherry Barbs
7 Dwarf Neon Rainbows
5 GBRs.
(The GBRs are very juvenile and are barely an inch; some still smaller)

As the GBRs grow I am wanting to dwindle it down depending on the sex. If I end up with 2 males and 3 females I will likely keep all 5. However if I have more males I will reduce the ratio. I cannot sex a few of them now but off my research I think I have 3 males :/

Anyways.

Down the road I am looking to completely remove the cherry barbs as they do not school at all like I thought they would. I would then increase my number of dwarf neon rainbows to 10/12 and look to add maybe a pair or 3 angels? Just looking for advice as I’ve never kept angels and want them to be in a good environment.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For angels I would go with only one. 2 if you get lucky. 3 is a disaster for the odd man out.

One will show aggression but they are pretty slow so depending on your fish, everyone should be alright.
With 3, 1 will be chased by the other 2 constantly.

2? If they become a pair, or just plain get along, you’ll be OK. But I would say it’s a 50/50 proposition.

In a 55, one nice, big angel will look good and be fine.

mdm2223

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hunter1 said:
For angels I would go with only one. 2 if you get lucky. 3 is a disaster for the odd man out.

One will show aggression but they are pretty slow so depending on your fish, everyone should be alright.
With 3, 1 will be chased by the other 2 constantly.

2? If they become a pair, or just plain get along, you’ll be OK. But I would say it’s a 50/50 proposition.

In a 55, one nice, big angel will look good and be fine.
Are angels comfortable by themselves?? I just feel bad if I don’t have multiple of them. I would really love a pair. Not sure how to sex them and will have to do my research.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mdm2223 said:
Are angels comfortable by themselves?? I just feel bad if I don’t have multiple of them. I would really love a pair. Not sure how to sex them and will have to do my research.
A single angel is fine. Prissy is happier with no other angels since her mate died last year.
_MG_7571-Edit.0.jpg

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m not an angel expert but have read up on them extensively.

Sexing them is difficult at best. Vent fins are not distinguishable. Older male get a hump on the top of their head, over their eyes.

The best way to sex em is when they pair up.

But if you have a pair in a community tank, ready to breed, they will herd all the other fish away and take up most of the tank.

1 is best for a community.

You can buy breeding pair online but will still have the aggression issue.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also a pair does not always mean male and female with angels. It is not unommon for two females to spawn.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom