Angel Fish?

mdm2223

so I have a 55 gallon community tank with the following stocking:

14 Cherry Barbs
7 Dwarf Neon Rainbows
5 GBRs.
(The GBRs are very juvenile and are barely an inch; some still smaller)

As the GBRs grow I am wanting to dwindle it down depending on the sex. If I end up with 2 males and 3 females I will likely keep all 5. However if I have more males I will reduce the ratio. I cannot sex a few of them now but off my research I think I have 3 males :/

Anyways.

Down the road I am looking to completely remove the cherry barbs as they do not school at all like I thought they would. I would then increase my number of dwarf neon rainbows to 10/12 and look to add maybe a pair or 3 angels? Just looking for advice as I’ve never kept angels and want them to be in a good environment.

Sakana魚

From what I was told happy fish comfortable in there tank won't "school".

Hunter1

For angels I would go with only one. 2 if you get lucky. 3 is a disaster for the odd man out.

One will show aggression but they are pretty slow so depending on your fish, everyone should be alright.
With 3, 1 will be chased by the other 2 constantly.

2? If they become a pair, or just plain get along, you’ll be OK. But I would say it’s a 50/50 proposition.

In a 55, one nice, big angel will look good and be fine.

Thunder_o_b

To add to what Hunter1 said. With a grown angel you will find that the barbs will tightly school.

mdm2223

Hunter1 said:
For angels I would go with only one. 2 if you get lucky. 3 is a disaster for the odd man out.

One will show aggression but they are pretty slow so depending on your fish, everyone should be alright.
With 3, 1 will be chased by the other 2 constantly.

2? If they become a pair, or just plain get along, you’ll be OK. But I would say it’s a 50/50 proposition.

In a 55, one nice, big angel will look good and be fine.
Are angels comfortable by themselves?? I just feel bad if I don’t have multiple of them. I would really love a pair. Not sure how to sex them and will have to do my research.

Thunder_o_b

mdm2223 said:
Are angels comfortable by themselves?? I just feel bad if I don’t have multiple of them. I would really love a pair. Not sure how to sex them and will have to do my research.
A single angel is fine. Prissy is happier with no other angels since her mate died last year.

Hunter1

I’m not an angel expert but have read up on them extensively.

Sexing them is difficult at best. Vent fins are not distinguishable. Older male get a hump on the top of their head, over their eyes.

The best way to sex em is when they pair up.

But if you have a pair in a community tank, ready to breed, they will herd all the other fish away and take up most of the tank.

1 is best for a community.

You can buy breeding pair online but will still have the aggression issue.

Thunder_o_b

Also a pair does not always mean male and female with angels. It is not unommon for two females to spawn.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom