Angel Fish

_S_

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a 42 gallon tank. It's a planted tank with driftwood, live plants, substrates and some decor. The filter running on it is a canister filter (right now the tank is cycling) and it has an eheim heater. I was wondering if I could keep two angel fish. Lot's of sites said 20 gallons per fish or 35 gallons for two (seemed small to me) but I couldn't find how many for two. The sites varied. I also read they get quite aggressive so I was thinking of keeping other small community fish maybe two or three. What do you guys think?
Edit: Also if I were to keep two angelfish with some community fish how often should I do water changes and how much? (this would be my first time keeping them)

Last edited:

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
2 angelfish can work in a 42 gallon tank. Angelfish needs 29 gallon minimum. And, yeah, you can add some community shcooling fish

_S_

Reaction score
Experience
4 years

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you have any fish in the tank currently? What are the dimensions?

Personally, I think a larger water change at one time of at least 50% weekly is more effective. It also will depend on how much your nitrates climb to by the end of the week.

_S_

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you have any fish in the tank currently? What are the dimensions?

Personally, I think a larger water change at one time of at least 50% weekly is more effective. It also will depend on how much your nitrates climb to by the end of the week.
No fish in the tank currently I am cycling. This is the model just the smaller size

Once a week is good. Smaller amounts more frequently is better. All my tanks get water changes at least twice a week though they are not overstocked.
How much do water do you change?

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depends on the tank. My goldfish fry tank and my danio fry tank ges 80% daily, my other goldfish fry tank gets 60% daily my 63 gallon community gets 10-20% most days, my 5 gallon betta tank gets 40-60% twice a week, my goldfish quarantine gets 60% every other day.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom