Angel Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by _S_, Apr 13, 2017.

1. _

_S_ New Member Member

I have a 42 gallon tank. It's a planted tank with driftwood, live plants, substrates and some decor. The filter running on it is a canister filter (right now the tank is cycling) and it has an eheim heater. I was wondering if I could keep two angel fish. Lot's of sites said 20 gallons per fish or 35 gallons for two (seemed small to me) but I couldn't find how many for two. The sites varied. I also read they get quite aggressive so I was thinking of keeping other small community fish maybe two or three. What do you guys think?
    Edit: Also if I were to keep two angelfish with some community fish how often should I do water changes and how much? (this would be my first time keeping them)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I think a pair would work in that size tank. You could have a school of cherry barbs and a school of kuhli loaches with them.

3. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

2 angelfish can work in a 42 gallon tank. Angelfish needs 29 gallon minimum. And, yeah, you can add some community shcooling fish

4. OP
    OP
    _

_S_ New Member Member

How often would you guys recommend doing water changes?

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

25-50% once a week

6. BottomDweller

Once a week is good. Smaller amounts more frequently is better. All my tanks get water changes at least twice a week though they are not overstocked.

7. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Do you have any fish in the tank currently? What are the dimensions?

Personally, I think a larger water change at one time of at least 50% weekly is more effective. It also will depend on how much your nitrates climb to by the end of the week.

8. OP
    OP
    _

_S_ New Member Member

No fish in the tank currently I am cycling. This is the model just the smaller size

How much do water do you change?

9. BottomDweller

Depends on the tank. My goldfish fry tank and my danio fry tank ges 80% daily, my other goldfish fry tank gets 60% daily my 63 gallon community gets 10-20% most days, my 5 gallon betta tank gets 40-60% twice a week, my goldfish quarantine gets 60% every other day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice