Angel Fish With White Stuff In Eyes And Nostrils.

Josh McVay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I habe had an angel for 4 months now and about a week ago, it started having this white solid mass growing behind each eye and in the right nostril. I cannot identify what it is. It is not cottony and sure as **** isn't ich. I have searched everywhere with no results on what it might be. My ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are all close to zero. My water temperature is 80°. I have it lightly salted (API aquarium salt). The other fish in the tank don't harrass the angels in the slightest, but I do have one other male angel in the tank and the two do get into sizing each other up every so often. I have tried introducing another angel into the tank, but the two big boys don't take kindly to new angels and, for lack of better words, terrorize the ever living #### out of any I put in.

Anyways. Can someone identify this disease and help me to treat it? I love this angel like my child.

Thank you.

(PS. Sorry for the bad pictures. I need a DSLR camera. Hahahaha)

Attachments

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

That is the start of HITH; those blisters are filled with a pus-like substance that “pops” and leaves behind those pits/holes that have trademarked the name of HITH.

I’d separate into a hospital tank, increase temp to 82-84 and treat with metronidazole (Metroplex by Seachem) and Nitrofurazone (Furan-2 by API).

In general, you’ll also want to give a boost to the overall diet by including quality foods (live/frozen and or/quality pellet) and sneaking in some vegetable matter (also through pellet, but if they’ll eat fresh, that works too!). If the angel is still willing to eat, soak it’s food in some Metronidazole as well

Josh McVay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for the response! I do not have a tank without other fish, unfortunately. But I will find these two medications and use my 29 gallon (with a tetra community) so I don't risk hurting my other angel, severum, ropefish, and red tail (all of which, I love) with the medications. I have already bought another aquaclear filter with removable carbon media and an adjustable heater.

I also bought a variety of frozen fish foods, including blood worms, mysis shrimp , and brine shrimp (formulated to boost health, but not sure of the validity of that).

The Angel is acting normal and is not lethargic, in the slightest, so I don't think I eill have trouble getting him back ro optimum health.

I very highly appreciate your response because I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out what was wrong and what I needed to treat it.

Should I do a water change in the 29 before I put the angel in? Should I add awuarium salt?

Edit: Also, will my angel keep those holes or can I help him get rid of those too?
KinsKicks said:
Hello!

That is the start of HITH; those blisters are filled with a pus-like substance that “pops” and leaves behind those pits/holes that have trademarked the name of HITH.

I’d separate into a hospital tank, increase temp to 82-84 and treat with metronidazole (Metroplex by Seachem) and Nitrofurazone (Furan-2 by API).

In general, you’ll also want to give a boost to the overall diet by including quality foods (live/frozen and or/quality pellet) and sneaking in some vegetable matter (also through pellet, but if they’ll eat fresh, that works too!). If the angel is still willing to eat, soak it’s food in some Metronidazole as well

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do a larger water change and do NOT use aquarium salt. In fact, I would stop using the aquarium salt in your other tanks as well; it really doesn't have a purpose and can actually do more harm than good for your scaleless fish.

As for the leftover pits, if they’re more shallow, they have a very good chance of healing over, but if they are deeper, it may leave an impression that won’t go away (it’s more of a cosmetic issue once the skin properly heals over). Once treatment is done, do another large water change and add the carbon back in.

Josh McVay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
KinsKicks said:
Do a larger water change and do NOT use aquarium salt. In fact, I would stop using the aquarium salt in your other tanks as well; it really doesn't have a purpose and can actually do more harm than good for your scaleless fish.

As for the leftover pits, if they’re more shallow, they have a very good chance of healing over, but if they are deeper, it may leave an impression that won’t go away (it’s more of a cosmetic issue once the skin properly heals over). Once treatment is done, do another large water change and add the carbon back in.
Awesome! As long as the impressions won't hurt my angel, that is great! I just want him to be okay. My tetras should,be fine in the medication. Right? Not that I am all that worried about them. Black phantoms are replacable at a cost. My angel isn't. (Sorry for the questions)

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Josh McVay said:
Awesome! As long as the impressions won't hurt my angel, that is great! I just want him to be okay. My tetras should,be fine in the medication. Right? Not that I am all that worried about them. Black phantoms are replacable at a cost. My angel isn't. (Sorry for the questions)
They should be fine, but just like anything, they’re being dosed with meds they don’t need and will be subjugated to the effects of the medication. Since they’re healthy, they’ll withstand it better, but make sure to feed them well

Josh McVay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I feed all of my fish very well. Thank you, again, for the information!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom