Angel fish with neon tetras?

Should i get angelfish and keep them with my tetras?

• Total voters

Fishlover423

Can they be together, I plan on having 6 neon tetras (ill try to get the biggest ones) and 1 angelfish, is that ok? What is the smallest fish a freshwater angelfish can be with? and the angelfish at my petsmart are like 2-3 inches long and 2-3 inches tall, any advice?

ALSO::: they will be in a 55 gallon with lots of other fish(even other tetras like glolight and black neons)

MeGustaUnaPez926

I've heard that they don't get along to well unless introduced when they're really young, but I don't have any experience with them, so you'll want to wait for what someone else has to say.

Nick G

Angels might eat tetras. If the Angel is big enough it'll certainly try. If you want to keep them together I'd advise getting the smallest Angel you can find. If they grow up together they might be ok.

kaze88

I have neons which were in the tank before I added my angels, and the angels don't seem to be bugging them. I've had them for a while now, but yesterday I introduced 7 new fish (4 goldtails, 1 neon, and 2 gold severums) and the angels kept thinking they were food. They nipped at them all night but this morning they seemed to be calmer. I need to do some more observing though. Just make sure the angels are well fed so they don't try to eat the smaller fish.

Fishlover423

erg, should I take a chance, how big is an angelfishes mouth?

kaze88

Yes go for it. My previous angels didn't bite at all. Like the other ppl said, get them when they're young.
Their mouths aren't that big, but they nip the fins of smaller fish until they can't swim then they'll eat them.

Fishlover423

ok.I will try. I would say my petsmart ones are about 2-3-4 years old, they are small, but my walmart ones are like 4-6 years old. NO NO

ha, I just reaized some thing, this is like goldfish with tropcial fish lol!

kaze88

forgot to tell you.. if you have sick fish, the angels might eat them. A lot of my sick fish died from being eaten by angels.

Fishlover423

will the angels get sick then?

Butterfly

I have successfully kept Neons and angelfish together. The Neons I had were Black Neons( Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi) and Green Neons(Paracheirodon simulans) which are a little bigger than regular Neons( Paracheirodon innesi). I put the Neons in first the added the Angels about a week later and never had a problem with them.
Carol

Drew 43920

In Nature...........

Can they be together, I plan on having 6 neon tetras (ill try to get the biggest ones) and 1 angelfish, is that ok? What is the smallest fish a freshwater angelfish can be with? and the angelfish at my petsmart are like 2-3 inches long and 2-3 inches tall, any advice?

ALSO::: they will be in a 55 gallon with lots of other fish(even other tetras like glolight and black neons)
In nature Neons are the Angels main food.

seedy

HI fishlover423
I have had neons with my angels with no problems . My largest could have quite easily have eaten them if she got hungry , but with regular feeding she was never interested .

Shawnie

ive never had luck with tetra's and angels..at least not the smaller ones...my angels will eat anything they can fit in their mouths...mine are nawty!

bettafish2816

if you decide to try it, put the angels in last after everything else like someone else said. this will let everyone else get established and get your water conditions more established for your angel. from what i've read, they aren't very hardy and require really, really good water conditions. good luck!

oh, and also you will want to get juveniles, if they grow up with the tetras they'll be less likely to eat them

NaCl

Like Shawnie, I've never been able to keep neon tetras with my angels. They end up being snacks. I do, however, have a shoal of Cardinal tetras in both my tanks with angel & they are fine.

Good Luck

Butterfly

The Neons I kept were larger than regular Neons. Hubby and friends named them "Fish Food" LOL even though they never were.
Carol

penuinzorr

my angels and neons get along fine...just add the neons in before the angels and make sure the angels you add are young/small

soldieroffortune1974

my angels and neons get along fine...just add the neons in before the angels and make sure the angels you add are young/small

This is an older poll/post,but it's missing my input.

My experience with angels is this........... Every angel is different,with different personalities,tastes,dislikes,etc. They are a member of the Cichlid family,but some are fairly peaceful while others are super-killers.Such as the 3 I have. They kill everything,including other angels.

Putting Neon tetras in with angels is going to be trial and error.Maybe they get along ok,maybe they wont.1 thing to keep in mind is a full grown tetra is only 2 inches (some are a little bigger) while a full grown angel can vary between 12 and 14 inches.What seems ok now,may become a snack later.

Another thing to remember,is Angels by themselves,can go either way,but a pair of angels,paired off,will fight ferociousely for their territory.With a school of tetras and 1 angel,chances are things will be ok.A school of tetras with a paired off set of angels,they will possibly consider them a snack for spawning.

IIIHawKIII

shawnie, yer angels get that from their owner!

Butters76

Angelfish says : "Yes please, Yammy"
Noen says: Please don't do this to us.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
tuggythetugboat
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies