Angel Fish Tank Mates (around Same Size Or Larger)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by wapooshe, Apr 20, 2017.

1. wapoosheValued MemberMember

I have a 75 gallon tank and realized that most of my stocking are not too large of a fish. I would be very interested in knowing suitable fishes that are colorful and large while also very compatible.

I plan on adding:
    2 Angelfish
    1 Clown Pleco
    5-6 Congo or Rainbow Tetras
    2 German blue rams

2. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

3. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

They might get too big. There's a few softball sized ones at my LFS.

4. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Maybe you can do this:

2x angelfish
    1x clown pleco
    8x congo or rainbow tetras
    8x rummynose tetras
    2x GBRs
    1x honey gourami
    8x sterbai cories

5. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I agree with adding more tetras. I would give the honey a friend though, very docile and friendly. Kept 2 males in a 20 for about a year, no issues.

6. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

You said same size or larger. Most I've seen are same size as full grown angel. (Maybe an inch bigger)

7. ZahcWell Known MemberMember

BP's are much heftier fish though. They are bulky, Oscar bulky. I agree BP's are not the best option. I like the list @aquatickeeper gave.

8. CROWNTAILBETTAWell Known MemberMember

How about a festivus? for a stocking plan of 2x Angelfish, 2x GBR, 1x Clown Pleco, 1x Festivus, 9x Tetras, 8x Sterbai cories. :)

9. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

It's a good stocking but way to small for me in a 75. Those are the type of fish I can keep in a 40

10. ZahcWell Known MemberMember

No way would I keep that list in a 40! I like my tanks lightly stocked compared to most people, ill admit. I think fish seem to behave more natural when given plenty of space, regardless of their size.

2 BP's almost fill a 75 imo.

11. wapoosheValued MemberMember

I keep a small amount of fish at the moment, due to my filtration. I only have a 400 gph filter right now ):

12. CROWNTAILBETTAWell Known MemberMember

I would add more filtration before adding more fish IMO. ;)

13. wapoosheValued MemberMember

I agree with adding more tetras. The fish everyone recommended seem nice but I'm really looking for a lot of color :). Looking online I saw Discus and Gourami that looked pretty nice. I'm wondering what breed are compatible with angels?

I actually have no fish right now and am in the process of fishless cycling. I'm just planning ahead for the future :). Also I plan on getting more filtration once I start adding alot more fish.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  14. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Discus are my dream tank. You really need to read up on those. I can't do them because of my pH. I won't buffer because of the swings (which would kill the discus) I just have to keep on dreaming on that tank.

15. CROWNTAILBETTAWell Known MemberMember

If not for the tetras a rotkeil severum would probably fit the bill. Perhaps you could have rainbowfish instead?

16. wapoosheValued MemberMember

Don't rainbowfish need to be in schools? I was thinking about these fish too but I heard that you need at least 6.

17. CROWNTAILBETTAWell Known MemberMember

Yes they need a school, I meant you could replace the tetras with these guys and then have the severum as a centerpiece. :)

18. wapoosheValued MemberMember

Ah, that makes a lot more sense :p

19. bkaiser3Well Known MemberMember

Discus are best off in discus only tanks. They require very unique and pristine water conditions plus a higher temperature.

20. wapoosheValued MemberMember

thanks for the reply! I'll probably stay away from Discus for this tank to avoid risk :)