Angel Fish Spawned

ncje

Valued Member
Reaction score
yeah two of my angels spawned, I had them aged around 6 months so I guess they are a little early. I didnt even notice, but it occurred sometime today. Im wondering if they will eat the eggs but so far the parents are working hard keeping the others at bay very well I might add and fanning them regularly. Who knows what will happen from here but Ill keep you posted. If the eggs are still there in a couple of days Ill post a pic.

I wont be moving the eggs etc so we shall see how they go.

Oh they laid them on the filter intake tube. I will try to get a little cover on it so they dont get sucked up. If thhey hatch whats the usual turnaround on angel eggs?

ncje

Valued Member
Reaction score
This is pretty cool. Finally getting to see Angel fish behaviour I have been waiting for, and they certainly have their own style compared every other cichlid I have owned in the past. They literally change guard every 2-3 minutes. One fans the eggs and has a close look at them whilst the other stands guard then change. Then repeat. Its better if I dont get too close at the moment as I seem to fuel the aggression as the fish move up and down the front pane waiting for me to feed them... which sends them into the danger zone.

While I have seen this kind of behaviour before its always interesting to watch. But I have never seen a fish with flaired fins literally on its side in the water totally still while warding of others.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes angelfish spawning behaviour is very interesting to watch. They will work tirelessly to protect their eggs. Usually eggs hatch in 3-4 days and go free swimming in another 3-4 days. If you have a pleco he will probably eat teh eggs as hes the only one armored enough to withstand mom and dads defenses.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Congrats Ncje! ;D If the babies make it ... they'll be so cute! I can imagine how happy you must be to watch your angels take care of the eggs - their behavior is so interesting. My angels spawn every 3 weeks on average - I don't track their spawning anymore. Couldn't possibly raise every single batch. So my eggs are eaten every time, either by the mother (if they've been too long in the tank with other fish), or by other fish in the tank - if they manage to "steal a bite", lol. Because I couldn't possibly keep every single raised batch of angels and because I hate the idea of giving my baby angels away to a fish store that would most likely take terrible care of them (most would probably die there), I decided not to raise them unless I'd need them for some purpose. Of my current batch of baby angels I can keep 6 at most, the rest will probably have to be given away either to my LFS or to friends who'll take them. Perhaps my cousin will take 2. But we'll see. Anyway ... congrats once again

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes ... I don't even know how many times my eggs turned white before it finally worked. Give it some time But if you really want to raise baby angelfish, I'd recommend for you to get at least a 20G high breeder tank with a sponge filter and good aeration. Once the parents spawn you could remove the eggs and raise them yourself as their survival chances are very small in a tank with fish other than the parents. This is what I did to raise my babies (well I didn't have a 20G high and a sponge filter at that time because it came very unexpected - but if I were to raise them again, I'd definitely get at least a 20G high and a sponge filter).

P.S. I suppose you could also put the parents in the breeder tank, so that they could spawn and raise the babies there themselves. It must be wonderful watching angels raise their babies Only if I were to do that, I'd get at least a 30G, since the parents are large fish - too large for a 20G in my opinion.

ncje

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wish I had the time for that... but just dont. Its one tank for me The only thing I am thinking is if I can get a divider and put in there. Saw something like this at my lfs, will go back and take a look.

ncje

Valued Member
Reaction score
The day after last post all the eggs were gone, didnt see parents eat any so not sure what happened exactly. I would guess that as the female is larger the male is a little younger, and really not quite ready for the whole ordeal. Good to have a definite pair though. I have identified another male in the tank and was trying hard for her attention in fact he still is. Wondering if theres a chance at this early stage she may still flip over to him? Anyway once I get another pair form my 50 gallon will be home to just 4 angels and my two peppermint plecos and about 4 shrimp who have made a sufficient area to live amongst the plants - no one bothers them.

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
ncje, I have been told that plecos will eat the eggs. So I would have that divider ready or just remove the plecos if your angels have more eggs that you wanna keep.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom