Angel fish problem

Snarls

New Member
Member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
New to this in last few weeks, but have a 55 gal tank with 2 gouramis and 2 angels. The angels have been acting strange and sitting at bottom of tank not seeming to eat. Show no visible signs of being sick except that. 1 angel died 2 days ago, no the 1 remaining is still doing that - just sitting at bottom of tank.Before this the 2 of them were swimming around alot. I'm not sure but this don't seem normal behavior. Has anyone had this problem before and can I do to stop the other angel from dieing on me?
 

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
22,851
Reaction score
123
Location
Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
All good questions, when we have the answers we can try to help figure out what's going on.
Carol
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
S

Snarls

New Member
Member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I cycled my tank for about 3 weeks, and I took samples of the water to pet store to be tested and they told me they were perfect. The orange gouramI seems to be agresive towards the blue gourami, just that it is now chasing it around. It dose not bite it, and no there is no marks or anything on any of the fish. Not sure if this is any help at all, but tnx
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
25,141
Reaction score
27
Location
Denver, Colorado
Experience
Just started
what type of gouramI is the orange one? the blue gouramI can be sexed by their dorsal fin. https://www.fishlore.com/profile-bluegourami.htm

Honestly, I wouldn't trust most LFS/LPSs to test my tank water. You've got a personal interest in your tank conditions and will be more thorough and precise than a good many of the punch-in/punch-out employees that do the water tests. Some know their stuff and do a good job testing, but it seems to be the exception.
 

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,253
Reaction score
9
Location
In my parents house. Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
Ya, I agree with FLBettaCouple, I used to take my water to get tested at a pet store that I have spent hndreds of dollars at and before, they had two really inteeligent employees that I trusted with my water and they even showed you the steps to take and the process to get there, but when they left to go to a better paying job, I had to buy my own kits and test them myself since the other people didn't know what they were talking about. But sadly, they have the best quality of fish and the only place in the city that I can find that has a saltwater collection, the sad part is, they are about 1/2 hour away if the traffic is good. Just buy some test kits, you will actually save money not going to the pet store every so often to test your water, and let us know your results. please.
Tom
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
S

Snarls

New Member
Member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
1st of all I'm really new at this..not sure which fish is which..one of the gourami's is called odaline gourami, the other is called pearl gourami. They are blueish with camoflauge and other is orangish camoflauge looking. Very pretty looking. My other angelfish dyed. No marks or rot or bites or nothing. The person at the pet store that was testing my water I did trust. But I will invest in my own kit. Not really sure if I should get the kit that test everything, the biggest kit or not tho?As I said I'm very new to this. This was a easter presant for my kids, that I seemed to like.lol. Tnx for the help any ways..maybe someone has a sugestion as to what fish I could put in with the gouramis that would make good mates for them, or maybe because they might be aggressive I can't put anything else in the tank?
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
25,141
Reaction score
27
Location
Denver, Colorado
Experience
Just started
master test kit - we use this testing kit.

If these are your gourami, you can check the links for information about them and how to tell male from female. Peaceful fish would be good companions for them, like platys, corys or otos.
Opaline Gourami
Pearl Gourami
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
S

Snarls

New Member
Member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Thank you all for your help,yes thoose are the 2 gouramis that I have.I will get a kit to test water myself, trail and error I guess.Still unsure as to what happened to the angels, really hoped they would have lived,but I'll do better with the others now.
 

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
22,851
Reaction score
123
Location
Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
If you go to the petsmart website there is a coupon for the aquarium pharmaceuticals water test kit. If ou print it off you can take it to Petsmart and they will honor the coupon making the test kit I think about $15.
It usually takes a tank about 6-8 weeks to cycle before its ready for fish. Angels are particularly sensitive to water quality.
Gouramis and angels don't usually work well together. If the Gouramis hit the angels in the side they could have injured their swim bladder and they would die (just guessing by symptoms)
 

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,720
Reaction score
42
Location
Cape Cod MA
Experience
More than 10 years
Butterfly said:
If you go to the petsmart website there is a coupon for the aquarium pharmaceuticals water test kit. If ou print it off you can take it to Petsmart and they will honor the coupon making the test kit I think about $15.
It usually takes a tank about 6-8 weeks to cycle before its ready for fish. Angels are particularly sensitive to water quality.
  Gouramis and angels don't usually work well together. If the Gouramis hit the angels in the side they could have injured their swim bladder and they would die (just guessing by symptoms)
I also printed out the coupon from the online petsmart and brought it to the store and they honored the price. They also honor anyone elses prices for any other items as well. That includes the 29 gallon tank they replaced for me that was cracked and bought from another totally different store! Amazing! Of course, that same day I ended up spendidng as much as the 29 gallon & set up would have cost, but they have a loyal customer in me now. ;D
The gouramis can be little devils.. the dwarf that I had killed off my platy. And I witnessed it butt one of the platy in the side and down the poor thing went. I wouldnt want to put the gouarmI in with Angels either and moved my gouramI to another tank when I introduced the Angels. While the Angels were still in the bag in the water, the gouramI was showing aggresion, that was enough for me and I moved him out. I will not get another dwarf gouramI again..tho they are beautiful arnt they?..
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
25,141
Reaction score
27
Location
Denver, Colorado
Experience
Just started
Snarls said:
Thank you all for your help,yes thoose are the 2 gouramis that I have.I will get a kit to test water myself, trail and error I guess.Still unsure as to what happened to the angels, really hoped they would have lived,but I'll do better with the others now.
did those links help you tell if they're male or female?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
S

Snarls

New Member
Member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
We don't have a petsmart around here..Eastern canada, I ususally shop at pets unlimited. I was told that Angels and Gouramis could live together..but I see I was missinformed. Wont make that mistake again. From reading and seeing the pics , nearest I can figure is the blue gouramI is a female and the other is a male. may not have been the smartest move I made getting these fish as a beginer, but didn.t want goldfish because I was told that they are dirty fish and it is harder to convert from gold fish to tropical because gold fish are to dirty. I think I am going to take your advice and get a couple of those non aggressive fish you mentioned, just so the tank don't look so empty with just the 2 gouramis.Plus the tank was easter gift for my kids and they love to watch the fish. Please tell me if I'm wrong, but when I clean the tank, isn't it best to do 50% water tank changes? Not change all the water at once because if that was the case what was the point in cycling it in the 1st place right? I now am feeling a lil stupid about all this but willing to take advice tnx.
 

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,720
Reaction score
42
Location
Cape Cod MA
Experience
More than 10 years
Snarls said:
We don't have a petsmart around here..Eastern canada, I ususally shop at pets unlimited. I was told that Angels and Gouramis could live together..but I see I was missinformed. Wont make that mistake again. From reading and seeing the pics , nearest I can figure is the blue gouramI is a female and the other is a male. may not have been the smartest move I made getting these fish as a beginer, but didn.t want goldfish because I was told that they are dirty fish and it is harder to convert from gold fish to tropical because gold fish are to dirty. I think I am going to take your advice and get a couple of those non aggressive fish you mentioned, just so the tank don't look so empty with just the 2 gouramis.Plus the tank was easter gift for my kids and they love to watch the fish. Please tell me if I'm wrong, but when I clean the tank, isn't it best to do 50% water tank changes? Not change all the water at once because if that was the case what was the point in cycling it in the 1st place right? I now am feeling a lil stupid about all this but willing to take advice tnx.
Mistakes are made all the time.. even with the experts. Its a way of life... We live.. we learn! I am new here as well, and I have learned so much, reading and thru experiance. Since you have two gouramis already, they are a beautiful fish regardless of their personalities why not just get a few more of the same species? Then you wouldnt have to worry about what can be mixed with them? A 50% water change would be determined by a water test. Do you have the API kit on hand? I have had my tank up and running since march 25th and I still do a daily water change of about 20%. That can help keep the levels low til your tank cycles.
;D
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
25,141
Reaction score
27
Location
Denver, Colorado
Experience
Just started
we do about a 1/4th to 1/3rd water change each week, unless water conditions warrant more. The tanks get cleaned well each week also.

don't worry about a mistake made by listening to the pet store.. when we got started, we made tons of mistakes taking their advice. then we found fishlore.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
211
Guests online
2,721
Total visitors
2,932

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom