Angel Fish Laying Eggs - What To Do? Help

1. cfgb78

cfgb78 New Member Member

My angel fish are laying eggs on the filter intake right now, what should I do?

IMG_4305.JPG

2. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

What are your circumstances? Would you have a large tank to grow out baby angelfish? If not, I would let nature take its course.
    What size is the tank? What other fish are with them?

3. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

If this is their first time or they are in a tank with multiple angels, they will most likely eat the eggs.

4. OP
    OP
    cfgb78

cfgb78 New Member Member

I have a 10 gal tank
    I want to keep some
    They are in a 55 gal tank, there are 2 angels, 5 platys, 2 mollys, 1 guppy, 1 Otto

5. OP
    OP
    cfgb78

cfgb78 New Member Member

This is the 2nd time, none of the other eggs made it last time just wondering how I can get some to make it? They are the only two angels but there are 5 platys, 2 Molly's, 1 guppy and 1 Otto

6. bizaliz3

What do you mean when you say none of the eggs made it? Were they eaten? Were they infertile?
    If they are being eaten you can try leaving the light in 24/7. That's what I do whenever I have eggs in a community tank that I don't want eaten.

A 10g isn't a big enough grow out tank though...

7. OP
    OP
    cfgb78

cfgb78 New Member Member

They were not eaten, they were there for a few days I assume they were infertile and then eventually they disappeared after a few days

That's what I figured, think I should try to grow them in there for a week or two? and then keep a few and give the rest away. Or should I leave them in the 55gal? Do they have a chance in the 55? Last time both angels looked pretty protective of the eggs

8. OP
    OP
    cfgb78

cfgb78 New Member Member

9. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

They do not have a chance in the 55 considering what happened last time, if you are wanting to only grow out a few get a 20-29 gallon tank and select six-ten of the free swimmers or wigglers to raise. I would not put them back into the 55 until they are quarter in size, but you cannot be guaranteed that the parents won't hurt them when they spawn again, or just in general. You will not be able to keep them as long as you like without another tank because they will mature and try to pair up with the parents or each other.

10. OP
    OP
    cfgb78

cfgb78 New Member Member

Why do they keep eating/spitting the eggs out? half of them are wigglers now

11. bizaliz3

If they are eating them and spitting them out, they are likely all wigglers not eggs. They don't do that with eggs.
    Are they trying to move them to a different location? This is what they usually do once the eggs start hatching. Or if they aren't actually moving them, they could just be trying to keep them in a tighter bundle.

12. OP
    OP
    cfgb78

cfgb78 New Member Member

Yeah probably tighter bundle cause they put them in the same spot