Angel Fish in 265g

Discussion in 'aquarist' started by Aquarist, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

About two weeks ago, two of my Angel Fish in the 33g long tank paired and were keeping the two Marble Angel Fish backed into one corner. I moved the two Marbles into the 265g with the Bloody Parrots. Amazingly, everything went swimmingly well!;)

As soon as I added the Marbles, I fed the Bloody Parrots to distract them from the new additions to their tank. In no time, the Bloody Parrots forgot all about the Angels and the Angels are doing very well today.

The first batch of Angel eggs, I removed during a water change. Yesterday while doing a water change in the 33g I noticed I have new Angel eggs. I'm going to let Mother Nature take her course this time.

The eggs were exposed to air for a good while during the water change, they may hatch or they may not. If any hatch, I would like to keep a few of them and grow them out in my refugiums, or I have a 26g bow front tank in storage that I can also house some fry. If none hatch, that's fine too.

I haven't checked the tanks this morning, so the eggs may be there or they may be gone. The parents were watching the eggs closely even after the water change.

Many of my fish in the 265g tank are elders, 13+ years old so I'm expecting more losses in the months to come. When I do lose more of my elders, I may try adding the pair of Angels from the 33g to the 265g too. I would like to think that even with 4 Angels (including the pair) that everything will be ok having so much space. We'll see. If it doesn't work I can move the pair back to the 33g long.

I see more Emerald Cory Cats in my tanks future. I currently have 5 in the 33g and may up it to 10. Eventually and hopefully, all of these will go to the 265g at some point.

More to come....

Ken:;rudolph

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

I am sure with a tank that big that 4 angels would be OK. What are the dimensions on that monster tank? Your angels should keep spawning if this first batch of eggs are duds or get eaten. Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

Thanks Yeoy! I'm not sure the male knows exactly what to do other than guard the eggs. I watched them for a while and he seemed to be a bit lost. lol He'll learn. :)

The tank dimensions are 84"x24"x30".

These Angels were barely larger than a dime when I got them. They've grown really well and quickly.

Ken

4. Y

Well angels are pretty bad parents the first few spawns I think. If they are young you have many many spawns for the poor guy to learn!

Wow. That is huge haha. Very jealous. My bath isn't that big!

With good food and enough room they do mature very quickly! Are your other 2 a pair also?

5. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

I think the Angels that I added to the 265 are both males. I haven't seen any signs of pairing.

Ken

6. Y

At least they should be less aggressive in your big tank :)

I would love to breed angels but with the tetras and little gobies I want for my (ideally 6ft, realistically 4ft) new tank there would be too much temptation :/

7. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

Hello,

I have seen the Angels in the 265g dart toward a Bloody Parrot like it was going to attack and the Bloody Parrot just looks at the Angel like "are you nuts?" lol Cute to watch.

Ken

8. Y

Haha well BPs have that sort of puzzled look on their faces just about all the time anyway.

Hopefully your angels won't fall to the mercy of the Rainbow Shark's nipping!

Fingers crossed for juvie angel fry.

9. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

Thanks Yeoy! So far, the Rainbow Shark is staying away from the Angels.

Have a good day today.

Ken

10. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

The tank lights just came on. I checked the Angels in the 33g and the eggs are all gone. Either the parents ate them or my BN Pleco got them. She's feisty! :)

Maybe next time.

Ken

11. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

That is awesome Ken.

Congrats on the paired Angel...I've always loved your 33g tank.

12. oscardude

oscardude Valued Member Member

How old were the angels when they paired?

13. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

You know I have hunted and I have never seen emerald corys! I would love to see some pictures of yours if you have a sec. I tried and can not even order them here;(. Grats on your angel pair!

14. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

15. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

Lovely! Incredible plants, those corys are so cute.

16. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I really like the goldish angel. I've wanted a gold one for a while, but I can never find healthy ones at the store :(

Your plants look really nice.

17. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

Your tank is fantastic looking. The fish are beautiful.

18. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

Thanks folks! I appreciate it.

I'll have to post a new video before too long.

Ken

19. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

*HUG* I am sorry *HUG*

20. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

How do you prepare the zuccini? they look like they are LOVING that veg! would sterbai eat that too?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice