Angel fish. Help/opinion

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Alex126, Aug 4, 2014.

1. A

Alex126 Valued Member Member

I need help. I have a 30gallon with 3 neon tetras one dwarf gourami one molly and one 3 inch royal pleco. I am I interested in getting two angle fish. Are these fish compatible? If so what type of angle would you suggest. And what is your opinion on the most color full one? Tanks a lot!

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

I believe that if you put Angelfish in that tank your neons would become a snack once the Angels get big enough to fit them in their mouth. Also, neons are a schooling fish and prefer to be in larger groups.

3. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks for the feed back! I plan n buying both angels almost full grown and also plan on giveing my neons away. How many gouramies do you think I can group together without crowding the tank?

4. Brokenshadows34

Brokenshadows34 Valued Member Member

Welcome to FishLore!

I own two angelfish, and I have kept them with honey dwarf gouramis, mollies, and a pleco peacefully. I have kept medium to large tetras with them, but not neons. I'd say you're fine as long as the tetras are large enough not to be eaten by the angelfish, or get a pair of juveniles to grow up with the tetras.

Make sure your tank is at least 18" tall, as angels can grow up to be 10" tall from the top to bottom of their fins!

I would get the angels and introduce them at the same time, otherwise territorial sparring and chasing may occur. They are cichlids, after all, and cichlids establish territories.

I would also bump up the school of neons to five or six. Tetras can get nippy if kept in small numbers, and that's asking for trouble with the long, flowing fins of the angelfish.

All angelfish are the same, but the wild altum angelfish tend to be larger and more territorial than the tank-bred angels that you most commonly see in stores.

And with the colors, that's a personal preference! I personally like the koi and black lace varieties the best, but there are so many. Zebra, marble, pearlscale... There are a lot.

5. Brokenshadows34

Oops, looks like I was beaten to the first answer by jdhef! Sorry!

6. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Sadly dwarf Gourami's are a one to a tank type of fish, since they will fight with each other (many times to the death) as they mature.

7. OP
    OP
    A

Oh really never knew this! Thanks for the info! Do you suggest any type of other fish I could add along with the angels?

Thank you very much for the info!!! Really helped a lot. Can you suggest a color full fish tht I could keep with them. Maby a fish that would max out at around 3 incessant so the angle with get at them

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
  8. Brokenshadows34

I personally really like the looks of black phantom tetras. They get to about an inch and a half long, and my massive angelfish never goes at them. They are large enough to be kept with the angels, as I keep a school with my angelfish.

9. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Best not to keep angels with neons at all, and if you are lucky enough to run across P. altums, double so, as they do get quite larger than the scalares you normally see.
    I would add another angel, and perhaps a pair (if they can be maintained in a 1:1 ratio, just as they add colour, interest, and occupy a different zone of the tank.
    However, a 30 gallon tank might be stretching things a little. Best, rick

10. m

mopa Valued Member Member

My angels ignore my lone neon. My neons been swimming with my Denison barbs

11. OP
    OP
    A

Hey guys. I have a 29gall. I plan on having.
    - 1 dwarf gourami
    - 1 molly
    - 4 neon tetras
    - 1 3inch royal pleco
    - 4 German blue rams

Would this over crowed it?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice