Angel Fish Growth Rate

raptorsvt79

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
how fast do angel fish grow? I bought mine about a month and a half ago, at about the size of a quarter....there fins have grown a little, but the body of the angels haven't grown much....anyone know?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
At that size angels usually grow pretty fast. Extra water changes and lots of good food will also make them grow faster.
Carol

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Agreed. Angles usually grow quite fast when given a variety of foods and the tank is kept very clean. I bought 4 angels only a couple of months ago and they have doubled in size, if not more. I feed them flakes, brine shrimp, peas, cucumber/zucchinI slices, and live foods, such as tiny danios or minnows.

What are your water parameters? Nitrates should be kept under 20 PPM.

Good luck with your angels.

raptorsvt79

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
water is great...I do my water change weekly...but I only feed once per day...should I feed more?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
catsma_97504 said:
Agreed. Angles usually grow quite fast when given a variety of foods and the tank is kept very clean. I bought 4 angels only a couple of months ago and they have doubled in size, if not more. I feed them flakes, brine shrimp, peas, cucumber/zucchinI slices, and live foods, such as tiny danios or minnows.

What are your water parameters? Nitrates should be kept under 20 PPM.

Good luck with your angels.
I know Angels probably eat other little fish in the wild and have seen them sneak a few live bearer fry but I'm inclined to believe that feeding them fry as a normal part of their diet will teach them to eat their free swimmers.they do enough of that with out help
carol

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
As fish have a stomach the size of their eye, I've always feed younger fish 2-3 times a day, but only enough that they can eat for about a minute. Overfeeding leads to too many issues with bad water quality.

For example, today I added a dozen minnows to the tank. That is all they'll get to eat all day. After several hours, they gave up trying to catch them. But now that it's dinner time, the hunt is back on. Tonight I'll add some sinking pellets for the corys and pleco.

raptorsvt79

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
maybe I will feed them a little more than just once per day....I know when I used to feed my kribs twice a day...they grew pretty fast and were ready to breed....

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads