Angel Fish Fry

1. Bee1 Initiate Member

Hello! A few days ago my angel fish laid eggs. I was surprised because I thought they were both female. Now I have a ton of fry. I have decided to raise them to the best of my ability and have been trying to do research on how to accomplish that. I also have a lfs willing to purchase them when they are big enough. I only have two problems left. 1) I can't get baby brine shrimp until Friday. What should I feed them until then. And 2) I didn't discuss pricing with the lfs yet but they won't take them until they are quarter size. What is a fair price for them? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I am a first time breeder! Thank you!
  2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Yay! Congratulations! Don't worry about the brine shrimp just yet. Your babies won't start trying to eat until after they've started swimming freely.

What are the parents? Unless they're some special variety you probably won't get much for them. It will also depend on where you live and what the market is like. What people want and are willing to pay for.

Pictures please!

3. Bee1 Initiate Member

Like I said, I wasn't really trying to breed, so they are probably going to end up some random crossbreed, but one is a blue Pinoy and the other is a marble. The fry are in a cluster in between the parents right now. I am in the middle of doing a two week Hogwarts camp with my kids at the moment and have been, admittedly, throwing food at my fish tanks and not paying a lot of attention for a week or so. I think the fry are about four days old at this point. I don't care so much about the price, but I would like to recoup my expenses. If that doesn't happen though, I'm still just excited about the experience. They are too small to get a good pic of. I'll try again when they are a bit bigger if anyone is interested. I have an empty and cycled 55 gal I plan on moving them to eventually. The only problem is that the tank they are in now is very heavily planted and I worry about getting them all out. Any advice on when to move them? I have read opposing opinions on how long to leave them with the parents. They are in a 40 gal tall now. The parent angel fish are the only fish in the tank. Maybe I should move the parents instead? Feedback and opinions are greatly appreciated!
  4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Moving the parents would probably be the easiest option! However, you have to consider how many fry you really want to raise because you are going to need to do daily water changes on the tank after you move them and all kinds of fun stuff. They're a lot of work, but rewarding!

@bizaliz3 is really the one to ask. I have not had as much experience.