angel fish fighting...

VidW

Reaction score
I have 2 big angelfish and 3 small ones.
One of the big ones always chases the other angelfish and attacks them...
why s/he is so aggresive..... (but that angelfish is nice to platy swordtail and guppy...)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
VidW said:
I have 2 big angelfish and 3 small ones.
One of the big ones always chases the other angelfish and attacks them...
why s/he is so aggresive..... (but that angelfish is nice to platy swordtail and guppy...)
I haven't had an angels myself, but from what i've heard of angelfish is that they are very territorial and can be aggressive (typical for cichlids), especially when they get bigger. They could turn on the smaller fish, but right now the smaller angels seem to be the target of their aggression. What size tank do you have? That many angelfish will need a lot of room and in a smaller tank, the territorial nature could be made stronger.

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
If that larger angel has a mate in the tank, this behavior will continue forever. They are very territorial. If if you don't have a mated pair, that aggressive angel will probably keep up the bulliness. Do you have plenty of hiding places for the other angels?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
In my parents house. Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
I had the same thing with my angels, but when I took them out of their territory and put them both in a new territory at the same time, they seem to be fine together now. What you should do is take the angels(and other fish) out and redecorate the tank so there isn't any territory for the fish to defend and they will divide it up between themselves.
Tom

PrayforMojo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would agree with tom, try re decorating a bit. I know friends who have had success with changing angels behavior that way.
mojo

skippi

Reaction score
You can try to rearrange the tank, but like gunnie said if they are mated then they will continue to fight.

Heidi

usauk89

Reaction score
I have 2 Angels in a 160 litre 42/3 gallon tank and one of them seems to charge at the other one somethimes, they share the tank with 1 bristlenose pleco and 6 emperor tetras, i'm not sure if these are signs of being underfed because they seem to be nibbling the plants when the aggression is happening. I just worry about overfeeding without and bottom feeders to clean up.

Jimold

Well Known
Reaction score
I have 2 angels... I had 8, but Sparkle, my big gold angel, killed all but 1. I don't know if they're going to mate yet, it's still a bit too early to tell. But this is just how angels are. They're cichlids, and just like oscars or dempseys, they have a mean streak. >

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah, my angels r aggressive too, especially during feeding time....it's normal. I bought them as babies, they r growing big now.

Sabi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This about Angels fighting is all new to me! I have 2 Angels and they never fight, with each other, or with the other fish, just mind their own business! I had about 5 of them before in another tank, then too, there wasn't any fighting. Is something the matter here? :-\ Umm, or am I just lucky?... :

sgould

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This about Angels fighting is all new to me! I have 2 Angels and they never fight, with each other, or with the other fish, just mind their own business! I had about 5 of them before in another tank, then too, there wasn't any fighting. Is something the matter here? Umm, or am I just lucky?...
A lot of it has to do with whether or not you are dealing with a mated pair. Angels will actually care for their young, so they get territorial when they pair up. You can have juvenile angels mature together in a tank for months and never have a problem, but once they sexually mature they can suddenly turn on each other if pair bonds are formed.

New Threads