Angel fish eggs!!!!

1. RubyGem

RubyGem Valued Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466995095.777689.jpg
    Angel fish eggs are here!!! They were laid last night and I then noticed the eggs being eaten by the parents. I made the decision to break the leaf off and put it into a separate tank with an air stone. Advice? what do I do? Are they fertilised?
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466996456.194467.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466996380.756806.jpg
    Parents :) Black - Mother, White - Male

2. Skyy2112

Skyy2112 Valued Member Member

Many breeders will leave the eggs/juvi's with them for a while, I'd say 90-95% of angels will eventually learn to raise young, if they were eating eggs, how often are they fed? Atleast twice a day? Any treats? These will decrease the need to 'eat for food'.

And are you sure they werent just moving the eggs? Also I use a breeding cone and have experienced them moving them when they fall back up to the top.

I'm inexperienced with removing eggs.

3. TheKiwi

TheKiwi Valued Member Member

To be honest, now that you have an established spawning pair, I would just leave the eggs alone.

For many cichlids, parenting does not come naturally, and it may take a few spawning attempts before their are able to raise a brood successfully. Problematic first few spawns (eating of eggs, heightened aggression between the pair etc) will eventually sort themselves out; they just need a few tries to learn.

Angelfish are quite prolific spawners; once you have a breeding pair, I wouldn't worry so much about saving every single batch

4. OP
    OP
    RubyGem

They are in a community tank... So what do you suggest??

5. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

The parents could likely have been eating the unfertilized eggs...which is something they must do for the sake of the good eggs. Not every egg gets fertilized and the ones that do not end up dying end up growing a fungus that can damage the fertilized eggs around them.

Edit... also in a community tank they will often eat their eggs because they would rather eat them themselves than let any other fish eat them

6. TheKiwi

TheKiwi Valued Member Member

What fish do you have in the tank?

As angelfish learn more about being good parents, they become increasingly better at guarding their eggs. This includes 1) moving the eggs around (which involves them sucking the eggs into their mouth and spitting them on another surface); 2) staying closer around the eggs; 3) increased aggression towards any other fish that venture too close.

Unless you have larger, or much faster and more aggressive fish, I would really just leave the eggs in, and let the parents learn to be, well, parents. Like I said, angelfish pairs have no difficulties going through many spawns a year, and you shouldn't need to worry too much. But that's really just my POV. I've had tiger barbs with my breeding pair, and those 2 had no issues protecting their eggs.

7. OP
    OP
    RubyGem

I have another pair of koi Angel fish, which have never spawned. Two other Angels that are not paired and very young. Planing on rehoming them asap.
    Also 4 rasbora.
    2 torpedo barbs
    1 ghost knife
    And an albino Pleco

It's 40g and I have two atman canister filters tank has been cycled for about 1.5 years and I now do water changes every other day. And cycling the tank a beautiful 30 times an hour! So although over stocked (planing on fixing that) The bio load isn't even near overloaded.

8. S

Secret Oasis Valued Member Member

I dont know to much about angel fish but isnt it recommended to only keep a single pair of them in a tank that size. Along with the barbs being schooling fish and fin nippers i wouldnt keep them with angels. Also ghost knives grow to 20" much to large for a tank that size.:-\ and i went off topic. but otherwise i agree with others they tend to raise their own till they hatch

9. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

You are very right. Plus the temp isn't compatible.