Angel fish eggs - Page 5

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
But they are technically supposed to have like 4-5 small feeding per DAY....I will be absolutely SHOCKED if they survive a week with just a couple feedings.

I guess we'll find out!! I really hope you have some survivors after that week! Just make sure to find a way to get me some photos without the blue light before you take off!! :)
Well now that I know it irritates you as much as it does me I'm going to pop down to a hardware shop right now and get one!

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Well now that I know it irritates you as much as it does me I'm going to pop down to a hardware shop right now and get one!
HAHA cool! Thanks!! :) I have to see the beauties before you leave incase they don't make it! :)

MarkN1990

The pictures are by no means good, but a little clearer !

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
The pictures are by no means good, but a little clearer !

Awww look at them! They are so cute!! I wish you didn't have to leave! :)

It definitely helps not having that blue light!!!

Hey Tolak , is there anything that MarkN1990 can do during his week away that might give these angel fry a chance to survive? We are talking little to no food and no water changes for a week...and they will be about 2 weeks old. Do you think they have a chance AT ALL? Is there anything he can do to give them a better chance at survival? I am thinking they won't make it...but maybe he will be pleasantly surprised.

MarkN1990

I could ask my housemate to feed them daily, but I'm not sure whether that would cause more harm than good as a majority wouldn't get eaten and would mean bad water quality

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
a majority wouldn't get eaten and would mean bad water quality
Don't speak to soon....by Friday they might be eating a lot more than they are now. Mine are finishing up their BBS much faster than they used to! So maybe there won't be as much left uneaten as you would think. But your housemate would have to pay attention to how much food is in there before adding more.

Are the worms alive when you feed them? And if so, how long do they stay alive in the baby tank? Cuz my BBS can swim around in the tank for hours and hours and hours. So one feeding, if not finished, would last for a while if the worms don't die off and cause poor water quality....

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Don't speak to soon....by Friday they might be eating a lot more than they are now. Mine are finishing up their BBS much faster than they used to! So maybe there won't be as much left uneaten as you would think. But your housemate would have to pay attention to how much food is in there before adding more.

Are the worms alive when you feed them? And if so, how long do they stay alive in the baby tank? Cuz my BBS can swim around in the tank for hours and hours and hours. So one feeding, if not finished, would last for a while if the worms don't die off and cause poor water quality....
They can stay alive for around 12 hours, which is why I will try and ask him to feed once a day. Yes they're alive when fed but can't swim so sink right to the bottom and wiggle around on there.

He has never kept fish it's not his thing at all, I've shown him how to feed them so he will do that once a day, I can't expect him to pay attention to how many are on the bottom really. I'll be getting daily updates from him all the way from DubaI that's for sure !

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
They can stay alive for around 12 hours, which is why I will try and ask him to feed once a day. Yes they're alive when fed but can't swim so sink right to the bottom and wiggle around on there.

He has never kept fish it's not his thing at all, I've shown him how to feed them so he will do that once a day, I can't expect him to pay attention to how many are on the bottom really. I'll be getting daily updates from him all the way from DubaI that's for sure !
its great that your housemate can be of SOME assistance anyway. And I understand the fact that he is not into fish. I have some family and friends that would do pretty much anything for me....but if I asked them to care for my fish for a week....they would probably say no! LOL

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
its great that your housemate can be of SOME assistance anyway. And I understand the fact that he is not into fish. I have some family and friends that would do pretty much anything for me....but if I asked them to care for my fish for a week....they would probably say no! LOL
Hahaha exactly! And I'm also asking him to feed live worms which isn't the nicest of tasks

mattgirl

I have found that the micro worms don't seem to foul the water like a lot of the processed foods do so a week of no water changes might not be as bad as you fear.

I do hope you will be able to enjoy your vacation and not be to stressed about your wonderful little fishy friends. They may be a lot tougher than we give them credit for.

MarkN1990

mattgirl said:
I have found that the micro worms don't seem to foul the water like a lot of the processed foods do so a week of no water changes might not be as bad as you fear.

I do hope you will be able to enjoy your vacation and not be to stressed about your wonderful little fishy friends. They may be a lot tougher than we give them credit for.
Do you feed exclusively microworms? How does your fry poo look is it pure white ?

mattgirl

MarkN1990 said:
Do you feed exclusively microworms? How does your fry poo look is it pure white ?
I did for the first week or so and then started adding some of the mixture I make up for them. Instead of buying fry food I took a tiny bit of all the different foods I feed my adult fish (shrimp pellets, tetra crisps, flakes, sinking wafers, algae wafers, freeze dried shrimp and bloodworms) and ground it all up as fine as I could get it. Then I strained it through a super fine screen to get any of the bigger pieces out. I then mixed in some blue green algae powder and fed some this mixture at least twice a day. This mixture might not be what your Angel fry need but my danio and cory fry seem to really thrive on it. All of mine are eating adult size food now.

oops, forgot you second question. I actually never really noticed their poo.

MarkN1990

mattgirl said:
I did for the first week or so and then started adding some of the mixture I make up for them. Instead of buying fry food I took a tiny bit of all the different foods I feed my adult fish (shrimp pellets, tetra crisps, flakes, sinking wafers, algae wafers, freeze dried shrimp and bloodworms) and ground it all up as fine as I could get it. Then I strained it through a super fine screen to get any of the bigger pieces out. I then mixed in some blue green algae powder and fed some this mixture at least twice a day. This mixture might not be what your Angel fry need but my danio and cory fry seem to really thrive on it. All of mine are eating adult size food now.

oops, forgot you second question. I actually never really noticed their poo.
Sounds like a good mix! Mine will be on purely worms for the next week or two then I'll try get brine shrimp hatching again!

mattgirl

They should be fine with just the worms for a week. By the time you get back they may be big enough to eat finely ground adult food. I forgot to mention, I also sprinkled some of the algae powder on top of my microworm culture. I have read that since the worms eat it they will be even richer food for the fry. Don't know it it is true but thought, it couldn't hurt.

bizaliz3

Here's mine today MarkN1990

obviously I focused on the lighter colored ones....since I am most fascinated by them :)

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Here's mine today MarkN1990

obviously I focused on the lighter colored ones....since I am most fascinated by them :)
They're gorgeous and so much bigger than mine!

So I've just been reading up about microworms and apparently they can live for up to 3 days in fresh water which could well be why my little ones survived. Hopefully if my housemate does even a few good strong feedings through the week then there COULD be survivors ... At least one!

I don't really understand the colouring of yours, the father was pure silver/white no? How are they going to turn out a mix of the both? Any that are pure white like the dad ?

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
They're gorgeous and so much bigger than mine!

So I've just been reading up about microworms and apparently they can live for up to 3 days in fresh water which could well be why my little ones survived. Hopefully if my housemate does even a few good strong feedings through the week then there COULD be survivors ... At least one!
I am crossing my fingers for you!!!! That sounds promising! :)

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
I am crossing my fingers for you!!!! That sounds promising! :)
Edited my post above as you posted I think

Jaxsco

They look like angels now!

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
I don't really understand the colouring of yours, the father was pure silver/white no? How are they going to turn out a mix of the both? Any that are pure white like the dad ?
From what I have read, the pearlscale gene that dad carries along with his platinum color are both genes that must be carried by both parents in order for the babies to have it. So unless mom has either of those genes recessively, then the babies won't have them. But I do think dad's genes contributed to the marbles that have just a few spots...mom is responsible for all the darker marbles.

With that being said....and this probably won't happen for many many months...but if any of their babies pair up...then those two babies both have dad's genes RECESSIVELY so their offspring could provide pearlscale and platinum babies.

I have done so much reading on angelfish genetics...its crazy.

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
From what I have read, the pearlscale gene that dad carries along with his platinum color are both genes that must be carried by both parents in order for the babies to have it. So unless mom has either of those genes recessively, then the babies won't have them. But I do think dad's genes contributed to the marbles that have just a few spots...mom is responsible for all the darker marbles.

With that being said....and this probably won't happen for many many months...but if any of their babies pair up...then those two babies both have dad's genes RECESSIVELY so their offspring could provide pearlscale and platinum babies.

I have done so much reading on angelfish genetics...its crazy.

I'm counting down the days !

clemdawg

Nice pics.

MarkN1990

Couple of slightly clearer pictures this morning as they were on the near side of the tank for once when I first turned the light on!

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Couple of slightly clearer pictures this morning as they were on the near side of the tank for once when I first turned the light on!

They are looking gorgeous!! You've done a great job! I really hope they can tough it out next week!!

bizaliz3

How's everybody doing today? When are you leaving?

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
How's everybody doing today? When are you leaving?
I found one dead today, no idea why, but still many survivors! After I found one dead I did a very large water change, around 80-90% actually as it'll be my last one before I go away. It's Thursday night here and I get back into the UK next Saturday afternoon, so even longer than a week, not too hopeful for any survivors but we will see.

My housemate will be doing daily feedings of worms for me, but only once a day and I wouldn't want him doing water changes as he has zero experience. I think they stand more chance in week old water than hot water changes with no prime

How're you getting on?

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
I found one dead today, no idea why, but still many survivors! After I found one dead I did a very large water change, around 80-90% actually as it'll be my last one before I go away. It's Thursday night here and I get back into the UK next Saturday afternoon, so even longer than a week, not too hopeful for any survivors but we will see.

My housemate will be doing daily feedings of worms for me, but only once a day and I wouldn't want him doing water changes as he has zero experience. I think they stand more chance in week old water than hot water changes with no prime

How're you getting on?
I wish you and your angels and your housemate luck!!! I really hope you get blessed with some survivors!!

All of mine are doing well! They are SOOOOOOOOO dang cute I can't get over it!! It is hard to watch their dad go through whatever he is going through. And I desperately hope he recovers!! He has now been put in an official hospital tank.

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
I wish you and your angels and your housemate luck!!! I really hope you get blessed with some survivors!!

All of mine are doing well! They are SOOOOOOOOO dang cute I can't get over it!! It is hard to watch their dad go through whatever he is going through. And I desperately hope he recovers!! He has now been put in an official hospital tank.
Wishing your angel luck too! Bet it's horrible to see him struggling. At least he blesses you with the little beauties you have now

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
. At least he blesses you with the little beauties you have now
Absolutely!! And the batch I am raising right now was his last and maybe final try at it. And it was the first and only truly successful spawn! I am so grateful he was able to make it for one more spawn so I could raise his babies!! I might never put him back with his wife again. Even if/when he recovers! I haven't decided. It appears they are not able to raise babies together without fighting. I would rather not put him through that again if he does make a turn around!! So he might be retiring early from breeding.

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope when you come back next week I have great news about my daddy angel!! And I hope you have great news about your babies angels!

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Absolutely!! And the batch I am raising right now was his last and maybe final try at it. And it was the first and only truly successful spawn! I am so grateful he was able to make it for one more spawn so I could raise his babies!! I might never put him back with his wife again. Even if/when he recovers! I haven't decided. It appears they are not able to raise babies together without fighting. I would rather not put him through that again if he does make a turn around!! So he might be retiring early from breeding.

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope when you come back next week I have great news about my daddy angel!! And I hope you have great news about your babies angels!
No doubt I'll pop on here for an update at some point during my time in Dubai. Will let you know when I do and I expect a full update from you too

MarkN1990

Can you believe it... I have survivors! Around 8-10 I think, will get pictures tomorrow when I feel less jet lagged ! Just done a large water change and thrown some worms in to tide them over.

I guess these little guys are more hardy than we give credit. They had 6 feedings over 8 days and zero water changes. Granted I lost about half but I never expected to come back to find 10 survivors. They've certainly grown too

How are you getting on bizaliz3

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Can you believe it... I have survivors! Around 8-10 I think, will get pictures tomorrow when I feel less jet lagged ! Just done a large water change and thrown some worms in to tide them over.

I guess these little guys are more hardy than we give credit. They had 6 feedings over 8 days and zero water changes. Granted I lost about half but I never expected to come back to find 10 survivors. They've certainly grown too

How are you getting on bizaliz3
Wooo hooooooooo!!!!! I am so glad to hear that!!! I was so anxious to hear from you!!!! :)

I'm glad you made it home safely and I'm so happy that you still have some little guys!!

My guys are doing well! And I got my new ones from angelmania! They aren't much bigger than mine! Super cute!

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Wooo hooooooooo!!!!! I am so glad to hear that!!! I was so anxious to hear from you!!!! :)

I'm glad you made it home safely and I'm so happy that you still have some little guys!!

My guys are doing well! And I got my new ones from angelmania! They aren't much bigger than mine! Super cute!
Just checked your lone survivor thread and can't see any pics! I assume you have some ?

Here's a few of my little ones that are left

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Just checked your lone survivor thread and can't see any pics! I assume you have some ?
There are a few newer pics of my babies on that thread but not the new angels. I still need to get some good pics of them!

Here's the thread about my experience

Edit: I just added some pictures of the new guys on that thread

Mom2some

Welcome back Mark! I have to admit I was wondering how the fry did! That sounds like a much more manageable number to raise too! Congrats on hearty fish!

bizaliz3

Hey Mark! How are things?

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Hey Mark! How are things?
Hey! Things are going well. Still at the same number of fry and some of them are growing some serious fins! Also got another new batch of eggs in the community tank that my angels have for the first time ever protected overnight, still a lot of eggs there too! Pics below . How are yours? What are you feeding now?

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Hey! Things are going well. Still at the same number of fry and some of them are growing some serious fins! Also got another new batch of eggs in the community tank that my angels have for the first time ever protected overnight, still a lot of eggs there too! Pics below . How are yours? What are you feeding now?

Oh WOW! Look at them :) They are so cute! Nice job with them!

Mine are doing well. All 16 of them. They are getting pretty cramped now in their 20 gallon. So I am planning to move them up to the 46 gallon soon!

As for feeding....well....yesterday was a milestone....I finally got to take down the BBS hatchery!!! AAAAAAHHHH!!!! It feels so dang good to not have that thing on my kitchen counter 24/7. All of my babies are finally eating something other than live BBS. I have actually been feeding them the food that I bought from angelmania when I purchased my blue angels from them. And since they are eating that, I am sure they would eat other things. The important part is that they are not being as picky and I can take a break from the BBS. I may still hatch some every few days for a treat. But I am so in need of a BBS break!!!! :)

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Oh WOW! Look at them :) They are so cute! Nice job with them!

Mine are doing well. All 16 of them. They are getting pretty cramped now in their 20 gallon. So I am planning to move them up to the 46 gallon soon!

As for feeding....well....yesterday was a milestone....I finally got to take down the BBS hatchery!!! AAAAAAHHHH!!!! It feels so dang good to not have that thing on my kitchen counter 24/7. All of my babies are finally eating something other than live BBS. I have actually been feeding them the food that I bought from angelmania when I purchased my blue angels from them. And since they are eating that, I am sure they would eat other things. The important part is that they are not being as picky and I can take a break from the BBS. I may still hatch some every few days for a treat. But I am so in need of a BBS break!!!! :)
Great news!! I've been feeding purely microworms for well over a month now and all going well . I reckon they're getting to a size where they can eat other food but I don't have anything at the moment! I may go down to the fish shop and see if there's anything I can pick up from there

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Great news!! I've been feeding purely microworms for well over a month now and all going well . I reckon they're getting to a size where they can eat other food but I don't have anything at the moment! I may go down to the fish shop and see if there's anything I can pick up from there
Do you have any flake food you can just crumble up for them?

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Do you have any flake food you can just crumble up for them?
Yeh I just tried that. They certainly perked up and could tell there was food in there but a vast a majority of it is just on the bottom of the tank!

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Yeh I just tried that. They certainly perked up and could tell there was food in there but a vast a majority of it is just on the bottom of the tank!
Keep trying. Put a small amount of crushed flakes in there with the live food each time. That should help them wean off the live food a bit. Yours are a little younger than mine and mine just started eating something other than BBS this weekend. And probably because their older sibling, Charming, is living with them and they all followed his lead! LOL

Mom2some

The white one with the black face in your second photo is Adorable! So good to hear an update!

MarkN1990

Mom2some said:
The white one with the black face in your second photo is Adorable! So good to hear an update!
I know, he's the runt of the pack too! He's going to be a little cutie for sure

Can't believe a load of my new eggs are still alive in the community tank! They've never lasted one night let alone a whole bunch lasting 3 nights. Can't wait to see how the parents do once they start swimming

MarkN1990

Lost my biggest Angel fry yesterday, no idea why. How often are you doing water changes now bizaliz3 ?

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Lost my biggest Angel fry yesterday, no idea why. How often are you doing water changes now bizaliz3 ?

Bummer!!! I'm sorry to hear that! How many do you think you have now?

Mine are currently in a 20 gallon with a lot of filtration (I have sponges on the intakes just to be safe). But I still do small water changes every 2-3 days.....and I FINALLY took down the bbs hatchery! I am so tired of that thing!

I plan to move them to the 46 gallon this weekend!! I can't wait to see them "stretch their legs" !!

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Bummer!!! I'm sorry to hear that! How many do you think you have now?

Mine are currently in a 20 gallon with a lot of filtration (I have sponges on the intakes just to be safe). But I still do small water changes every 2-3 days.....and I FINALLY took down the bbs hatchery! I am so tired of that thing!

I plan to move them to the 46 gallon this weekend!! I can't wait to see them "stretch their legs" !!
I have 8-9 remaining so still more than enough

I'm only running a sponge filter at the moment.. May put my fluval filter in tonight to increase filtration! I hadn't done a water change in 4-5 days due to work which will likely be why!

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
I have 8-9 remaining so still more than enough

I'm only running a sponge filter at the moment.. May put my fluval filter in tonight to increase filtration! I hadn't done a water change in 4-5 days due to work which will likely be why!
ya...another 4-5 days without a water change after they had 7-8 days without a water change during your vacation likely caused this one to die. BUT....you still have a great number, that's true! I would stick with daily water changes though until you get a little more filtration in there. :)

Any new pics for me?! :)

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
ya...another 4-5 days without a water change after they had 7-8 days without a water change during your vacation likely caused this one to die. BUT....you still have a great number, that's true! I would stick with daily water changes though until you get a little more filtration in there. :)

Any new pics for me?! :)
Not yet! Give me a few days and il get some for you

@ microworm cultures FYI. Always good to have more than one going

Kwig

MarkN1990 said:
Not yet! Give me a few days and il get some for you

@ microworm cultures FYI. Always good to have more than one going

Do you just scrape them off the sides with a spoon?

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom