Angel fish eggs - Page 3

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Hahah no not yet! I will let you know when there is!

I have 2 angels, 7 runny nose tetra, 10 corys and 3 platys

How about you?

That tank is stunning! I love it :)

How about me? Well....which tank? LOL I have a lot of tanks, But only 4 of them are display tanks. The tank that my current angel pair came from is a 55 gallon with 4 angels, a school of 6 harlequin rasboras, two BN plecos and 6 cory catfish. When the pair was removed, two angels were put in their place, so there have always been 4 angels at any given time. Here's a pic of that tank. :)

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
That tank is stunning! I love it :)

How about me? Well....which tank? LOL I have a lot of tanks, But only 4 of them are display tanks. The tank that my current angel pair came from is a 55 gallon with 4 angels, a school of 6 harlequin rasboras, two BN plecos and 6 cory catfish. When the pair was removed, two angels were put in their place, so there have always been 4 angels at any given time. Here's a pic of that tank. :)
Wow I love it! I want some ground covering plants in mine but just have normal kit lighting! That Angel with black on its tail is absolutely beautiful! Do you have a picture of the pair that laid the current eggs? Curious to see the mix

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Wow I love it! I want some ground covering plants in mine but just have normal kit lighting! That Angel with black on its tail is absolutely beautiful! Do you have a picture of the pair that laid the current eggs? Curious to see the mix

Here is the lovely couple :) I really want the babies to have some platinum or pearlscale traits like the dad, but I don't think those traits can be passed on from just one parent unless the other one has them recessively. But I don't think they both have to have the long fins so I might have long finned babies like the mom :)

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Here is the lovely couple :) I really want the babies to have some platinum or pearlscale traits like the dad, but I don't think those traits can be passed on from just one parent unless the other one has them recessively. But I don't think they both have to have the long fins so I might have long finned babies like the mom :)
Beautiful! The darker one is very similar to my female, Carlie

Here is my little randy couple!

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Beautiful! The darker one is very similar to my female, Carlie

Here is my little randy couple!

Gorgeous!!

By the way, regarding plants...just so that you know, my LED light on that tank was only $40 on ebay with free shipping...it is nothing fancy, but has been enough to allow the plants in that tank to flourish. :) It is 10000K and also has a blue light for evening enjoyment. Its a cheap Japanese brand or something. There were no directions and the box was not in english, but it works great!! You don't have to spend $100 to get a good light for most plants :)

The shorter plants in front are Staurogyne repens. I really like those a lot.

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Gorgeous!!

By the way, regarding plants...just so that you know, my LED light on that tank was only $40 on ebay with free shipping...it is nothing fancy, but has been enough to allow the plants in that tank to flourish. :) It is 10000K and also has a blue light for evening enjoyment. Its a cheap Japanese brand or something. There were no directions and the box was not in english, but it works great!! You don't have to spend $100 to get a good light for most plants :)

The shorter plants in front are Staurogyne repens. I really like those a lot.
That row of small plants is exactly what caught my eye. They're beautiful! I'll have to look into it

Mom2some

You both have such beautiful tanks! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

MarkN1990

Update: still a lot of wriggling going on. Just done my daily 70% water change. I THINK that I can see eyes now but not 100% as still dosing meth blue. I can see there are a few white eggs kicking about that I imagine died off, hence why I'm still dosing meth! Once they're free swimming I'll be taking out both air stones and just putting in a sponge filter

aliray

Thanks for the pictures of both sets of parents as well. as the tank pictures. Made me really enjoy my morning cup of coffee and daily update. I just get to enjoy the process without all the work. Alison

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Update: still a lot of wriggling going on. Just done my daily 70% water change. I THINK that I can see eyes now but not 100% as still dosing meth blue. I can see there are a few white eggs kicking about that I imagine died off, hence why I'm still dosing meth! Once they're free swimming I'll be taking out both air stones and just putting in a sponge filter
Yay :) I am glad everything is still progressing well. Remind me, what temp is the tank they are in right now? Mine has been about 81 degrees....

My babies are still wiggling, but this morning when I turned on the light, one baby took a brave swim for a few seconds. It was so cute. With that being said, I am very confident they will all be swimming by this evening. I am soooo excited! They are right on schedule. Eggs laid on a Friday night, babies start swimming the following Friday night. My fry are so consistent. lol

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Yay :) I am glad everything is still progressing well. Remind me, what temp is the tank they are in right now? Mine has been about 81 degrees....

My babies are still wiggling, but this morning when I turned on the light, one baby took a brave swim for a few seconds. It was so cute. With that being said, I am very confident they will all be swimming by this evening. I am soooo excited! They are right on schedule. Eggs laid on a Friday night, babies start swimming the following Friday night. My fry are so consistent. lol
Ahhh that's adorable! I'm out for the night but the tank was at 26.5 Celsius (you'll have to convert that)

I'll be back tomorrow so will update you on progress but I imagine eyes and wriggling is all there will be!

And new swimmers for you ?

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Ahhh that's adorable! I'm out for the night but the tank was at 26.5 Celsius (you'll have to convert that)

I'll be back tomorrow so will update you on progress but I imagine eyes and wriggling is all there will be!

You are only one degree lower than me temp wise.

It appears they are all capable of swimming, but are just too afraid to take the leap. Many of them are no longer attached to the leaf, but are still swimming very very close to it...so close that from a distance it appears they are still attached, but then I get up close and see that they aren't even stuck to the leaf anymore. I posted this pic on my "lone survivor" thread, but I will put it here too. The one in the middle is unattached but seems to be afraid to leave the comfort of the leaf. :)

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:

What's the status on your little guys? :) mine are all swimming today :) I haven't fed them yet. Usually they're still feeding on their yolk Sac for a little bit when they start swimming..... I might try and give them some food late tonight

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
What's the status on your little guys? :) mine are all swimming today :) I haven't fed them yet. Usually they're still feeding on their yolk Sac for a little bit when they start swimming..... I might try and give them some food late tonight
How exciting!! Not much to report my end, still wriggling with eyes but no free swimming. Still keeping up with the 70% water changes daily.

My angel actually looks ready to lay again and they've started cleaning a leaf! Will have to leave these ones be, can't cope with any more !

I need to find somewhere to set up a hatchery for my brine shrimp

MarkN1990

So today I have my first ever free swimmers! They're tiny and adorable! However I wasn't expecting this for another 24 hours or so so haven't even started my brine shrimp. I'm off out now so put together a very makeshift hatchery to get things going, never tried this before and don't know where I'm going to put it as its in my bedroom ATM and won't be able to sleep with the light on. Also don't think it'll be warm enough yet and not are of salt ratios hence why makeshift!!

At least it's a start though... And I'll try get something better set up tonight if I get chance which hopefully I should do. How are yours bizaliz3

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
So today I have my first ever free swimmers! They're tiny and adorable! However I wasn't expecting this for another 24 hours or so so haven't even started my brine shrimp. I'm off out now so put together a very makeshift hatchery to get things going, never tried this before and don't know where I'm going to put it as its in my bedroom ATM and won't be able to sleep with the light on. Also don't think it'll be warm enough yet and not are of salt ratios hence why makeshift!!

At least it's a start though... And I'll try get something better set up tonight if I get chance which hopefully I should do. How are yours bizaliz3

Yay! Congrats!

Don't be too concerned because the babies are not going to be ready to eat for another 24 hours anyway. Mine still aren't eating yet..... they just look at the baby brine shrimp and then swim away. I'm anxious for them to start eating!

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Yay! Congrats!

Don't be too concerned because the babies are not going to be ready to eat for another 24 hours anyway. Mine still aren't eating yet..... they just look at the baby brine shrimp and then swim away. I'm anxious for them to start eating!
Well I've got the hatchery set up but it's not in a warm place and the light isn't strong so I imagine they'll take quite some time to hatch. A lot of them still aren't free swimming so I guess that gives me 24 hours ish until I need to feed them. I will try and get a stronger lightbulb tomorrow to increase light and temperature a little see if it speeds things along

Edit: I assume I'm ok having a stainless steel fork in the hatchery? Had to attach my airline tubing to it as didn't have anything rigid

Edit 2: they're really not warm enough where they are and I can't find a way to warm them.. I've only got a weak bulb that's on them but no shops are open to get anything stronger at the moment... Any tips on how else to warm the water?

MarkN1990

Getting a little concerned now. My fry have been swimming for almost 24 hours and I've not got any hatched brine shrimp. Got a new light bulb and they're in a warm room but I'm at work tomorrow until 5pm so earliest I'll be able to feed them is in around 20 hours time... They'll be expecting food very soon and I have nothing to offer them !

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Getting a little concerned now. My fry have been swimming for almost 24 hours and I've not got any hatched brine shrimp. Got a new light bulb and they're in a warm room but I'm at work tomorrow until 5pm so earliest I'll be able to feed them is in around 20 hours time... They'll be expecting food very soon and I have nothing to offer them !
Mine did not even start eating the brine shrimp until they had been swimming for about a day and a half. You might be ok.....

I've heard of people using egg yolk or something....you could Google that option...

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Mine did not even start eating the brine shrimp until they had been swimming for about a day and a half. You might be ok.....

I've heard of people using egg yolk or something....you could Google that option...
How are yours getting on?

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
How are yours getting on?
For the most part mine are doing very well. I have had 8 deaths over the last 3 days though.... I have found that the first couple days of free swimming there can be a few losses, but after getting past that first few days.... everything seems to be smooth sailing. I still lost more than I expected though.... I'm not sure why that is. Probably because with past spawns I didn't even move them until they were already swimming. So the weaker ones never even made it out into my fry tank.

I'm still having trouble counting them now that they're swimming. It appears I have maybe 17 or 18. But now they're eating great and looking plump so I don't expect any more losses. :)

Tolak

MarkN1990 said:
Tolak with hatching BBS, could I put the hatchery in my grow out tank so that it's kept warm and just keep the tank light on 24/7? Will the constant light cause any harm to the fry?

Edit: just found this and someone says they keep a light on 24/7 with Angel fry to promote them to eat so hoping it won't be an issue?
You could do that, make sure the top of the hatchery is well covered to avoid any salt water spray into the tank. An old CD works well for this, it even has a convenient air line hole in the middle!

I've found that when it gets dark the fry settle to the bottom. The debris you happen to miss settles to the bottom as well. It doesn't take much light to keep them off the bottom, a small CFL works well, and is cheap to run.

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
For the most part mine are doing very well. I have had 8 deaths over the last 3 days though.... I have found that the first couple days of free swimming there can be a few losses, but after getting past that first few days.... everything seems to be smooth sailing. I still lost more than I expected though.... I'm not sure why that is. Probably because with past spawns I didn't even move them until they were already swimming. So the weaker ones never even made it out into my fry tank.

I'm still having trouble counting them now that they're swimming. It appears I have maybe 17 or 18. But now they're eating great and looking plump so I don't expect any more losses. :)
I managed to get a very small feeding of brine shrimp in before I went to work and there wasn't much interest in them at this point. Gives me hope that they'll last until I eventually manage to get more shrimp hatched. Should have practiced hatching BBS before I needed to as not finding it the easiest thing in the world !

Tolak said:
You could do that, make sure the top of the hatchery is well covered to avoid any salt water spray into the tank. An old CD works well for this, it even has a convenient air line hole in the middle!

I've found that when it gets dark the fry settle to the bottom. The debris you happen to miss settles to the bottom as well. It doesn't take much light to keep them off the bottom, a small CFL works well, and is cheap to run.
Yeh I woke up this morning and they were all back to wriggling in a big bunch on the bottom!

I've managed to sit a 35W bulb in between two hatcheries and they're in a nice warm room so temp won't be an issue now. Still not much hatching yet, though

bizaliz3

How are things going today? Any pictures yet? :)

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
How are things going today? Any pictures yet? :)
To be honest, I'm struggling! I'm fine with everything apart from the BBS so I'm not actually feeding at the moment which will no doubt be fatal. I've tried egg yolk and crushed flake food and been zero interest.

I really need to master this before my next batch or I'll just end up in the same situation! Stressful yet entertaining st the same time

aliray

Did you push the hard boiled egg yolk through a very fine mesh strainer to break it up into tiny bite sized pieces for them? It is worth a try. Alison

mattgirl

You might want to consider getting a micro-worm culture unless angels have to have shrimp. It is much easier to grow the worms than hatching shrimp.

My danio and cory fry are thriving on the micro-worms.

MarkN1990

I did aliray , I even mashed it up with water so it was literally a liquid and no interest!

Thanks mattgirl I'll take a look

MarkN1990

@ is this what you had in mind?

Does look very easy

@Tolak @bizaliz3 am I ok using API aquarium salt or could this explain the low hatch rate I'm getting ?

bizaliz3

mattgirl

MarkN1990 said:
@ is this what you had in mind?

Does look very easy
Yes, that is it. if you keep the culture fed and make a new one regularly they will keep going forever. Do a search here on the forum or google for info on how to care for them.

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
That's the stuff I use!
Really can't work out why my hatch rate is so low... I think the hatchery may be far too hot the water is warm to touch. Going to move the bulb further away and see if that helps at all. I'm literally using salt and dechlorinated water do you add anything else? My PH is naturally 8+

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Really can't work out why my hatch rate is so low... I think the hatchery may be far too hot the water is warm to touch. Going to move the bulb further away and see if that helps at all. I'm literally using salt and dechlorinated water do you add anything else? My PH is naturally 8+
I haven't been adding decholrinator....The only reason I haven't is because the directions on the egg vial don't tell me to....which doesn't really make sense, but it hasn't been a problem so far. But I am sure that has nothing to do with hatch rate. Or could it?!

But ya, just eggs and aquarium salt. That is all I put in there.

Also...I am sure my hatchery water is VERY warm as well.. I don't know what my PH is in my tap water though.

What kind of eggs are you using? What brand? I have heard that some brands have better hatch rates than others....the brand I use the "san Francisco bay" brand...which I got on amazon and has excellent reviews.

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
I haven't been adding decholrinator....The only reason I haven't is because the directions on the egg vial don't tell me to....which doesn't really make sense, but it hasn't been a problem so far. But I am sure that has nothing to do with hatch rate. Or could it?!

But ya, just eggs and aquarium salt. That is all I put in there.

Also...I am sure my hatchery water is VERY warm as well.. I don't know what my PH is in my tap water though.

What kind of eggs are you using? What brand? I have heard that some brands have better hatch rates than others....the brand I use the "san Francisco bay" brand...which I got on amazon and has excellent reviews.
I'm using this stuff. Had very good reviews on Amazon!

Also, I meant I wasn't using dechlorinater not the other way round

Mcasella

I thought the decapsulated is just the eggs you feed them?

MarkN1990

Mcasella said:
I thought the decapsulated is just the eggs you feed them?
I have no idea.. There are some hatching!

Mcasella

MarkN1990 said:
I have no idea.. There are some hatching!
Might be some missed the decapping? But I looked it up and it says non-hatching for decapsulated...you are meant to feed them to the fry after a while of bbs to give them better food (more protein?)..that might be why you are having issues?

Flowingfins

Decapsulated eggs will hatch, they just don't have the shells so it's easier to feed them.

Tolak

MarkN1990 said:
Tolak bizaliz3 am I ok using API aquarium salt or could this explain the low hatch rate I'm getting ?
That salt will work fine. Kosher or pickling salt is cheaper, grocery store item. I use cattle salt, 50 pound sack is $6.

If those are dry decaps they will have a poor hatch rate, they're meant to be fed as is. They're a great transitional food for getting fry off of live bbs, keep them around. The wet decaps in a jar are good for hatching, no shell. I add about a teaspoon of baking soda to my hatchery, this helps harden the water. I also add a couple drops of chlorine bleach to the hatching water, it helps soften shells & keeps bacteria at bay.

MarkN1990

Tolak said:
That salt will work fine. Kosher or pickling salt is cheaper, grocery store item. I use cattle salt, 50 pound sack is $6.

If those are dry decaps they will have a poor hatch rate, they're meant to be fed as is. They're a great transitional food for getting fry off of live bbs, keep them around. The wet decaps in a jar are good for hatching, no shell. I add about a teaspoon of baking soda to my hatchery, this helps harden the water. I also add a couple drops of chlorine bleach to the hatching water, it helps soften shells & keeps bacteria at bay.
They're suspended in a liquid. All reviews said they were good for hatching and the come with instructions to hatch so I'd like to assume they're good for it. I really don't understand why I'm getting so little BBS. I'm adding more than enough of them to get a large harvest and only getting 2 ish small feedings from each

Edit: if they have no eggs then should I see next to no leftover residue once all have hatched ? Maybe I'm not leaving them long enough to hatch.. I have a lot of brown eggs left over when I pour away so maybe they're not having long enough to hatch

Mom2some

Yeah, yeah, yeah... but, how are the babies! All the rest is important for those of you raising these little ones, but some of us would like to hear how the babies are doing please! Or a picture? Maybe?

bizaliz3

Mom2some said:
Yeah, yeah, yeah... but, how are the babies! All the rest is important for those of you raising these little ones, but some of us would like to hear how the babies are doing please! Or a picture? Maybe?
Well, I can't speak for MarkN1990 , but my fry are doing very well. I lost several in the first couple days of free swimming, but it has been 7 days of free swimming and there have been no losses since the first couple days. So all the rest are nice and strong. I have 17 babies. Of course I had a very small spawn to begin with.

They are all eating very well and get nice big plump bellies when they eat. I posted a video of them having one of their first meals on my thread "The Lone Survivor". That was a few days ago and they grow fast. So I will have to get some updated pics/videos. I am afraid to post TOO much of my stuff on this thread because technically it is not my thread! :) But if MarkN1990 doesn't mind....I will post more updates here as well!!

MarkN1990

Don't mind?! I'd love to see updates!

Mine are eating well, too well, and with my inexperience of BBS I just can't keep up!

Literally no idea how many have died etc as I have so many left haha. I would get a picture but they never come out unfortunately

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Don't mind?! I'd love to see updates!

Mine are eating well, too well, and with my inexperience of BBS I just can't keep up!

Literally no idea how many have died etc as I have so many left haha. I would get a picture but they never come out unfortunately

Ok, just making sure. I was beginning to feel like I was hijacking your thread. But it kind of became OUR thread, didn't it? LOL

You have so many babies over there that I don't expect you to be able to keep track! For me, with such a small group of babies, I was able to keep count as time went on.

I still really want to see some pictures!! Even if they are a little blurry :)

With the bbs... the first thing I wondered about yours was the "decapsulated" part of it. I am glad some people touched on the topic because I was wondering what exactly the difference was. I had a feeling that might be the "problem". But if the reviewers on amazon said they had good hatching rate...I am very confused.

Have you tried any other non-live foods? besides the egg yolk? Like HikarI first bites, or finely crushed flakes or something?

MarkN1990

Oh dear they're at it again!

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Oh dear they're at it again!
HAHAHA I know huh! Mine are right behind you! I expect eggs by the end of the day based on the behavior!!

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Ok, just making sure. I was beginning to feel like I was hijacking your thread. But it kind of became OUR thread, didn't it? LOL

You have so many babies over there that I don't expect you to be able to keep track! For me, with such a small group of babies, I was able to keep count as time went on.

I still really want to see some pictures!! Even if they are a little blurry :)

With the bbs... the first thing I wondered about yours was the "decapsulated" part of it. I am glad some people touched on the topic because I was wondering what exactly the difference was. I had a feeling that might be the "problem". But if the reviewers on amazon said they had good hatching rate...I am very confused.

Have you tried any other non-live foods? besides the egg yolk? Like HikarI first bites, or finely crushed flakes or something?
I've tried flake food and yolk. Will give hikarI a go and I have micro worms on the way now! I've had a bit of success with BBS so as ruthless as it sounds I think I may have to dramatically reduce the amount of fry I have so that the ones left get a much better feeding. Here's a pic of part of my tank to show how many I have, obviously more across the rest of the tank

bizaliz3 said:
HAHAHA I know huh! Mine are right behind you! I expect eggs by the end of the day based on the behavior!!

These ones are staying there !

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
I've tried flake food and yolk. Will give hikarI a go and I have micro worms on the way now! I've had a bit of success with BBS so as ruthless as it sounds I think I may have to dramatically reduce the amount of fry I have so that the ones left get a much better feeding. Here's a pic of part of my tank to show how many I have, obviously more across the rest of the tank

You are right, It isn't as ruthless as it sounds though. The problem is...either they all die, or you focus on a smaller number and give them the best you can give them so they can thrive. Which is exactly why you are doing it. So don't be hard on yourself at all! :)

MarkN1990 said:

These ones are staying there !
I'm with ya!!!!

I am actually really looking forward to watching mom and dad this time. I won't be as paranoid and I won't feel the need to yank their eggs away from them if the number gets too small. I am excited to watch them have another practice run. I hope they are able to improve their skills.

It'll be great if your parents can get the babies to the free swimming point for you. Because even if the babies don't end up making it long term, it is really fun to watch mom and dad try and care for them once they are swimming. Its really entertaining.

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
You are right, It isn't as ruthless as it sounds though. The problem is...either they all die, or you focus on a smaller number and give them the best you can give them so they can thrive. Which is exactly why you are doing it. So don't be hard on yourself at all! :)
I put some in my main tank and I've never seen my tetras go so mad for any 'food' in my life! Still going to have to get rid of more but that's enough death for me for today haha!

At least next time I'll know my capabilities and how many I can save. Better to have a short good life than no life in the community tank anyway

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
I put some in my main tank and I've never seen my tetras go so mad for any 'food' in my life! Still going to have to get rid of more but that's enough death for me for today haha!

At least next time I'll know my capabilities and how many I can save. Better to have a short good life than no life in the community tank anyway
That is the best way to do it too!! Because it is the circle of life!! All of those fry you just fed to your other fish.....their lives did have a purpose! :)

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom