Angel fish eggs

MarkN1990

Well Known Member
Reaction score
bizaliz3 said:
I'm starting to see my first Wigglers! My eggs have officially begun to hatch :)
Congrats!! What's the plan now, keep the meth blue dosed ? Water change schedule ?

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Following!

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Me too. This is more fun than watching soap operas. I have to turn in for my daily updates. Alison

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MarkN1990 said:
Congrats!! What's the plan now, keep the meth blue dosed ? Water change schedule ?
I am not going to use any more meth blue. I am under the impression it is only needed while they are eggs. Now that they are hatching, I am not adding any more. I only had to use it once because they started wiggling about 28 hours after I moved them (I didn't move them until 24 hours after they were laid). They started hatching/wiggling late last night....around 11pm is when I saw the first wiggler. And I had been checking on them like every half hour. LOL So I have the time pretty close. So based on when they were laid, it took them about 52 hours to begin to hatch. :)

I decided to do a quick 50% water change after I saw them wiggling. Not the best idea at midnight on a work night. LOL But I plan to do another 50% water change this evening and every evening until they start swimming. Once they start swimming I plan to move a sponge filter into the tank and continue with daily water changes. :)

After I moved the eggs I only had 3 turn white out of 50ish. With that being said, maybe the parents are doing a much better job caring for the eggs than I thought. Meaning, maybe dad is not doing the best job getting them all fertilized and a majority of them end up unfertilized. So the parents are actually doing an excellent job removing all the unfertilized eggs...Problem is I think they were getting too many good eggs in the process. The last two batches they were down to less than 10 babies by the time they started wiggling. And then they disappeared after they hatched. Mom and dad clearly need more practice. And as long as my current spawn makes it....the parents will get all the practice they want because it will be a long time before I intervene again! lol

How are things looking for you today MarkN1990 ?

MarkN1990

Well Known Member
Reaction score
bizaliz3 I'm just over 24 hours in and I have one bad egg... I really hope more start turning soon as I won't be able to deal with a batch this size!!

I'll be doing a 100% water change tomorrow morning and that'll hopefully be the last jug required as I imagine I'll see some wrigglers by then if the eggs are fertilised

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1459780483.526964.jpg

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MarkN1990 said:
bizaliz3 I'm just over 24 hours in and I have one bad egg... I really hope more start turning soon as I won't be able to deal with a batch this size!!

I'll be doing a 100% water change tomorrow morning and that'll hopefully be the last jug required as I imagine I'll see some wrigglers by then if the eggs are fertilised

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1459780483.526964.jpg

So how do you go about doing a 100% water change with the eggs in there? Please elaborate!!! :)

MarkN1990

Well Known Member
Reaction score
bizaliz3 said:
So how do you go about doing a 100% water change with the eggs in there? Please elaborate!!! :)
I have two 1 gallon jugs. I fill it with fresh water and meth blue then move the whole slate over

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MarkN1990 said:
I have two 1 gallon jugs. I fill it with fresh water and meth blue then move the whole slate over
OH I see. So the clean water is in the 2nd jug. and then you switch back again next time you clean. That sounds easy enough.

Why, out of curiosity, are you feeling the need to do 100% water changes? Is it that link you posted? I am feel like that is extreme....Every single egg I moved hatched just fine with 50% changes, except for the 2 or 3 that turned white. And that isn't a water quality thing. That is a fertilizing issue. And when I moved my single angel baby at the wiggler stage (3 days after being laid) I did 50% water changes every day and he is the biggest healthiest 4-5 week old angel you will ever see! Maybe I have just been lucky with my 50% changes. But really...the most important part is that there is a water change every day. Whether it be 50% or 100% is must be daily!! :)

I am just comparing notes is all!! I think it is so fun to do this together!! :)

MarkN1990

Well Known Member
Reaction score
bizaliz3 said:
OH I see. So the clean water is in the 2nd jug. and then you switch back again next time you clean. That sounds easy enough.

Why, out of curiosity, are you feeling the need to do 100% water changes? Is it that link you posted? I am feel like that is extreme....Every single egg I moved hatched just fine with 50% changes, except for the 2 or 3 that turned white. And that isn't a water quality thing. That is a fertilizing issue. And when I moved my single angel baby at the wiggler stage (3 days after being laid) I did 50% water changes every day and he is the biggest healthiest 4-5 week old angel you will ever see! Maybe I have just been lucky with my 50% changes. But really...the most important part is that there is a water change every day. Whether it be 50% or 100% is must be daily!! :)

I am just comparing notes is all!! I think it is so fun to do this together!! :)
Yes it's the link, however to be honest a 100% change by simply fillings another jug and pouring the old one out is less effort than doing a 50% . Too much clean water never harmed an egg I'm sure!

Once the slate it out the 1gal and into the 15gal tank when they're wrigglers then I'll only be doing 50% changes for sure

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MarkN1990 said:
Yes it's the link, however to be honest a 100% change by simply fillings another jug and pouring the old one out is less effort than doing a 50% . Too much clean water never harmed an egg I'm sure!

Once the slate it out the 1gal and into the 15gal tank when they're wrigglers then I'll only be doing 50% changes for sure
Very good point....your 100% water changes with the jug are probably much easier than my 50% water changes out of the 5 gallon with a syphon and bucket. I might pick up a couple jugs for the next time around! :)

What temp is your water? Mine was between 80 and 82 degrees and they hatched in approx. 52 hours. We have learned that the warmer the water the faster they hatch...so I am just curious what temp yours is at right now. :)

MarkN1990

Well Known Member
Reaction score
bizaliz3 said:
Very good point....your 100% water changes with the jug are probably much easier than my 50% water changes out of the 5 gallon with a syphon and bucket. I might pick up a couple jugs for the next time around! :)

What temp is your water? Mine was between 80 and 82 degrees and they hatched in approx. 52 hours. We have learned that the warmer the water the faster they hatch...so I am just curious what temp yours is at right now. :)
They're sitting around 78 so expecting similar timescales to yourself. So currently you have an air stone and no sponge filter running right ? I'm going to get my sponge filter up and running once I get wrigglers I think

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MarkN1990 said:
They're sitting around 78 so expecting similar timescales to yourself. So currently you have an air stone and no sponge filter running right ? I'm going to get my sponge filter up and running once I get wrigglers I think
I don't know....that 2-4 degree difference could make a big difference in hatching time. I guess we will find out!! :)

Ya, right now it is just an air stone and a heater. I have a sponge filter running on another tank that I will put into this tank in another couple days. :)

MarkN1990

Well Known Member
Reaction score
bizaliz3 said:
I don't know....that 2-4 degree difference could make a big difference in hatching time. I guess we will find out!! :)

Ya, right now it is just an air stone and a heater. I have a sponge filter running on another tank that I will put into this tank in another couple days. :)
You got baby brine shrimp on the go now ? bizaliz3

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MarkN1990 said:
You got baby brine shrimp on the go now ? bizaliz3
I do, but that is because I am currently raising a single baby angelfish. Have you been on my "the lone survivor" thread? I can't remember. If not, I'd love for you to check it out. :)

I just stopped home on my lunch break. I wasn't able to look at the wigglers much this morning before I left. But I had a chance to really look closely this time. I am able to account for 35 wigglers. Some have fallen off the leaf and are wiggling on the ground. There are a couple on the air stone. A couple on the lower leaves. There could be more that have fallen off that I just can't find. I did see two on the ground that don't appear to be wiggling, so they may have been losses. All the rest are still on the leaf and wiggling around like crazy. I didn't expect 100% survival anyway. There certainly wouldn't be this many if I had left them with mom and dad!

edit: regarding the BBS, if I didn't have the single angel baby, I would probably start the hatchery after they have been wiggling for a few days. Typically day 6 after the eggs were laid.

In the photo, as you can see, I was lazy and didn't remove the few white eggs. BUT...the meth blue prevents them from growing fungus and being of any danger to the surrounding eggs. So the eggs around them hatched just fine and there is no fungus on the white eggs.

MarkN1990

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I didn't even get a single wriggler in my last batch so anything on that is an improvement

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great pics, I see babies. YIPEE. Alison

Five 97

Well Known Member
Reaction score

MarkN1990

Well Known Member
Reaction score
bizaliz3 can't locate your lone survivor thread... I'm on my phone. Do you have a link

I'm up to 4 bad eggs now, haven't removed a single one yet and I probably won't do so until I remove the whole slate

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1459806826.477479.jpg

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MarkN1990 said:
bizaliz3 can't locate your lone survivor thread... I'm on my phone. Do you have a link

I'm up to 4 bad eggs now, haven't removed a single one yet and I probably won't do so until I remove the whole slate

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1459806826.477479.jpg
Does this work?

Also, I "mentioned you" in that thread today...hoping maybe that would help you find it :) I also wanted to get people following that thread to check in on your thread too! :)

As for the white eggs...I really don't think they are a concern when using methylene blue....but I could be wrong. They didn't pose a problem to mine...

MarkN1990

Well Known Member
Reaction score
bizaliz3 said:
Does this work?

Also, I "mentioned you" in that thread today...hoping maybe that would help you find it :) I also wanted to get people following that thread to check in on your thread too! :)

As for the white eggs...I really don't think they are a concern when using methylene blue....but I could be wrong. They didn't pose a problem to mine...
The linked work great - what a read and what an angel you have there !!! Makes me even more excited to get things moving - I've just put the temp up a little to try and speed things up

I'm only ever on the app on my phone and k never get notifications on here! I'm sure I've missed out on many things because of it

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads