Angel fish eggs - Page 2

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Very good point....your 100% water changes with the jug are probably much easier than my 50% water changes out of the 5 gallon with a syphon and bucket. I might pick up a couple jugs for the next time around! :)

What temp is your water? Mine was between 80 and 82 degrees and they hatched in approx. 52 hours. We have learned that the warmer the water the faster they hatch...so I am just curious what temp yours is at right now. :)
They're sitting around 78 so expecting similar timescales to yourself. So currently you have an air stone and no sponge filter running right ? I'm going to get my sponge filter up and running once I get wrigglers I think

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
They're sitting around 78 so expecting similar timescales to yourself. So currently you have an air stone and no sponge filter running right ? I'm going to get my sponge filter up and running once I get wrigglers I think
I don't know....that 2-4 degree difference could make a big difference in hatching time. I guess we will find out!! :)

Ya, right now it is just an air stone and a heater. I have a sponge filter running on another tank that I will put into this tank in another couple days. :)

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
I don't know....that 2-4 degree difference could make a big difference in hatching time. I guess we will find out!! :)

Ya, right now it is just an air stone and a heater. I have a sponge filter running on another tank that I will put into this tank in another couple days. :)
You got baby brine shrimp on the go now ? bizaliz3

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
You got baby brine shrimp on the go now ? bizaliz3
I do, but that is because I am currently raising a single baby angelfish. Have you been on my "the lone survivor" thread? I can't remember. If not, I'd love for you to check it out. :)

I just stopped home on my lunch break. I wasn't able to look at the wigglers much this morning before I left. But I had a chance to really look closely this time. I am able to account for 35 wigglers. Some have fallen off the leaf and are wiggling on the ground. There are a couple on the air stone. A couple on the lower leaves. There could be more that have fallen off that I just can't find. I did see two on the ground that don't appear to be wiggling, so they may have been losses. All the rest are still on the leaf and wiggling around like crazy. I didn't expect 100% survival anyway. There certainly wouldn't be this many if I had left them with mom and dad!

edit: regarding the BBS, if I didn't have the single angel baby, I would probably start the hatchery after they have been wiggling for a few days. Typically day 6 after the eggs were laid.

In the photo, as you can see, I was lazy and didn't remove the few white eggs. BUT...the meth blue prevents them from growing fungus and being of any danger to the surrounding eggs. So the eggs around them hatched just fine and there is no fungus on the white eggs.

MarkN1990

I didn't even get a single wriggler in my last batch so anything on that is an improvement

aliray

Great pics, I see babies. YIPEE. Alison

Five 97

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 can't locate your lone survivor thread... I'm on my phone. Do you have a link

I'm up to 4 bad eggs now, haven't removed a single one yet and I probably won't do so until I remove the whole slate

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
bizaliz3 can't locate your lone survivor thread... I'm on my phone. Do you have a link

I'm up to 4 bad eggs now, haven't removed a single one yet and I probably won't do so until I remove the whole slate

Does this work?

Also, I "mentioned you" in that thread today...hoping maybe that would help you find it :) I also wanted to get people following that thread to check in on your thread too! :)

As for the white eggs...I really don't think they are a concern when using methylene blue....but I could be wrong. They didn't pose a problem to mine...

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Does this work?

Also, I "mentioned you" in that thread today...hoping maybe that would help you find it :) I also wanted to get people following that thread to check in on your thread too! :)

As for the white eggs...I really don't think they are a concern when using methylene blue....but I could be wrong. They didn't pose a problem to mine...
The linked work great - what a read and what an angel you have there !!! Makes me even more excited to get things moving - I've just put the temp up a little to try and speed things up

I'm only ever on the app on my phone and k never get notifications on here! I'm sure I've missed out on many things because of it

bizaliz3

Well I just did a water change. There were a few wigglers on the ground that had died... so I got those out with the turkey baster. All of the ones still on the leaf are doing great. I'm counting 23 on the leaf. I'm able to find four Wigglers on the ground that also appear to be doing well. Its Hard to see but I think I am looking at about 27. That's a pretty manageable number. I hope they stay strong from here on out. :) I'm feeling pretty confident the rest of them will thrive. We'll see!

Five 97

bizaliz3 said:
Well I just did a water change. There were a few wigglers on the ground that had died... so I got those out with the turkey baster. All of the ones still on the leaf are doing great. I'm counting 23 on the leaf. I'm able to find four Wigglers on the ground that also appear to be doing well. Its Hard to see but I think I am looking at about 27. That's a pretty manageable number. I hope they stay strong from here on out. :) I'm feeling pretty confident the rest of them will thrive. We'll see!
I hope so, keep us updated on the new babies, that is if you can!

MarkN1990

I'm counting 15 bad eggs this morning - still no wrigglers in sight. Going to do another 100% water change on the next few hours just to keep things nice and fresh. I'm still at a pretty unmanageable amount of good eggs so I'll have to decide what the to do if all of these hatch!

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
I'm counting 15 bad eggs this morning - still no wrigglers in sight. Going to do another 100% water change on the next few hours just to keep things nice and fresh. I'm still at a pretty unmanageable amount of good eggs so I'll have to decide what the to do if all of these hatch!
Sounds like things are going well for you :) Fortunately...or unfortunately LOL

This morning all of the 23 wigglers that were on the leaf last night are still on there wiggling away. I was able to spot a couple on the bottom that were still wiggling too. It is really hard to spot the ones that are not on the upper leaf with the rest of them. So the other couple I saw last night on the bottom could still be in there out of sight. I won't really know for sure until they start swimming!

Remind me....when EXACTLY did yours lay the eggs? Was it Sat night? or Sun morning?

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Sounds like things are going well for you :) Fortunately...or unfortunately LOL

This morning all of the 23 wigglers that were on the leaf last night are still on there wiggling away. I was able to spot a couple on the bottom that were still wiggling too. It is really hard to spot the ones that are not on the upper leaf with the rest of them. So the other couple I saw last night on the bottom could still be in there out of sight. I won't really know for sure until they start swimming!

Remind me....when EXACTLY did yours lay the eggs? Was it Sat night? or Sun morning?
Good news!! Sunday around midday to 1pm they were laid. So it's been about 50 hours or so! Hoping to see wrigglers by tomorrow

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Good news!! Sunday around midday to 1pm they were laid. So it's been about 50 hours or so! Hoping to see wrigglers by tomorrow
If they follow the schedule of mine, they should start hatching tonight!! Keep an eye on them. Mine started hatching seemingly out of nowhere! Like I said, I was checking on them every half hour and then all of a sudden there were wigglers at around 52 hours in.

What is your time zone? Because your last post about "this morning" was at 2:50AM for me! Where do you live?

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
If they follow the schedule of mine, they should start hatching tonight!! Keep an eye on them. Mine started hatching seemingly out of nowhere! Like I said, I was checking on them every half hour and then all of a sudden there were wigglers at around 52 hours in.

What is your time zone? Because your last post about "this morning" was at 2:50AM for me! Where do you live?
Haha I'm from the UK which will explain the time difference ! How about you? Doesn't seem to be too make Brits on here!

I'm off to the cinema soon to see a film so will check them out when I get back! I'm at around 25 bad eggs right now have just left them off because of the meth blue

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Haha I'm from the UK which will explain the time difference ! How about you? Doesn't seem to be too make Brits on here!

I'm off to the cinema soon to see a film so will check them out when I get back! I'm at around 25 bad eggs right now have just left them off because of the meth blue
I live in The USA. The state I live in is Minnesota. :)

It is so fun doing this together and I think it is so amazing that in today's world we are ABLE to do this together from different countries! In real time!! :)

Post an updated pic when you get home!! :)

Edit, I just thought of something...Do you think the parents are able to tell which eggs are NOT fertilized even before they turn white? I just think it is amazing that the small number of eggs I had left were all good except for 3. But none were white when I moved them. none of the eggs even had a chance to turn white.....so I wonder if mom and dad KNEW those ones weren't fertilized and that is why they removed so many of them during the first 24 hours. Because if I had moved the eggs right away like you....I am sure I would have had dozens and dozens and dozens of white eggs! I am really starting to think I wasn't giving my angel parents enough credit!

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
I live in The USA. The state I live in is Minnesota. :)

It is so fun doing this together and I think it is so amazing that in today's world we are ABLE to do this together from different countries! In real time!! :)

Post an updated pic when you get home!! :)

Edit, I just thought of something...Do you think the parents are able to tell which eggs are NOT fertilized even before they turn white? I just think it is amazing that the small number of eggs I had left were all good except for 3. But none were white when I moved them. none of the eggs even had a chance to turn white.....so I wonder if mom and dad KNEW those ones weren't fertilized and that is why they removed so many of them during the first 24 hours. Because if I had moved the eggs right away like you....I am sure I would have had dozens and dozens and dozens of white eggs! I am really starting to think I wasn't giving my angel parents enough credit!
Hmm I'm not entirely sure. I imagine if you'd have moved them all then you'd have more eggs left now than you do. Maybe they do spot all the infertile ones but also eat fertile healthy eggs in the process. This is how they were looking before I left. Will check in a few hours to see if any updates. At least I now know that they are fertilising them and it must have been fungus that killed off my last batch!

I know technology allows this nowadays it's great! We'll be experts at this in no time working together

I can see 24 (I think) bad eggs there

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
I know technology allows this nowadays it's great! We'll be experts at this in no time working together

Seriously!! I have learned more things through trial and error and comparing notes with you for instance, than I ever learned when doing old fashioned research.

You still have a lot of eggs on there that are not white! I can't wait to see how many hatch!! It's gotta be any time now!!

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Seriously!! I have learned more things through trial and error and comparing notes with you for instance, than I ever learned when doing old fashioned research.

You still have a lot of eggs on there that are not white! I can't wait to see how many hatch!! It's gotta be any time now!!
I'm exactly the same. There's a certain amount you can learn without actually doing!

No movement yet.. I'm not even entirely sure what to look for as not seen one before but I'll just keep my eye out for movement

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
I'm exactly the same. There's a certain amount you can learn without actually doing!

No movement yet.. I'm not even entirely sure what to look for as not seen one before but I'll just keep my eye out for movement
You'll see what look like little tiny Tails sticking out and wiggling.

By the way...On my lunch break I was able to count 27 wigglers again. I could only find like 25 this morning!

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
You'll see what look like little tiny Tails sticking out and wiggling.

By the way...On my lunch break I was able to count 27 wigglers again. I could only find like 25 this morning!
I have wrigglers !!!! Almost dead on the time expected a few eggs have fallen off the slate and are wriggling at the bottom of my 1Gal so u don't really want to do a 100% change. I'm going to just pour half the water out of the jug they're in and refill it with fresh water tonight before I sleep as I'm at work tomorrow all day.

Very excited to see them wriggling !

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
I have wrigglers !!!! Almost dead on the time expected a few eggs have fallen off the slate and are wriggling at the bottom of my 1Gal so u don't really want to do a 100% change. I'm going to just pour half the water out of the jug they're in and refill it with fresh water tonight before I sleep as I'm at work tomorrow all day.

Very excited to see them wriggling !
I knew it!! congrats!!!! Aren't they adorable!! Just wait until their eyes show up in another couple days!! :)

So what time is it for you now? late Tuesday night? I am still at work it is 3:35pm. I am off soon!! YAY.

I do get a lot of work done when I am at work....it may not seem that way since I am on fishlore quite a bit during my work day!! LOL But I do work hard when I am here! Honestly!

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
I knew it!! congrats!!!! Aren't they adorable!! Just wait until their eyes show up in another couple days!! :)

So what time is it for you now? late Tuesday night? I am still at work it is 3:35pm. I am off soon!! YAY.

I do get a lot of work done when I am at work....it may not seem that way since I am on fishlore quite a bit during my work day!! LOL But I do work hard when I am here! Honestly!
Hahaha sureeee I believe you! It's 22:11 here on a Tuesday right now

I had a bit of a nightmare.. I didn't realise how loosely they would be attached to my slate, so when I started displacing water in my 1 gallon almost all of the eggs are now sitting at the bottom of the jar and the rest are in the actual larger tank! I'm doing a large water change on the whole tank now and going to keep meth blue in there for now as the waters been stagnant for a while. Put another air stone in there too.

The water in the tank has been acting as a water bath so been stagnant the past 3 days so not much hope for the ones that are in there although they're wriggling now. Even if I lose all these wrigglers I've still got a step further than last time so I'll get there eventually . 70-80% water change done in the whole tank to try and refresh the water and keep the ones in there going

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Hahaha sureeee I believe you! It's 22:11 here on a Tuesday right now

I had a bit of a nightmare.. I didn't realise how loosely they would be attached to my slate, so when I started displacing water in my 1 gallon almost all of the eggs are now sitting at the bottom of the jar and the rest are in the actual larger tank! I'm doing a large water change on the whole tank now and going to keep meth blue in there for now as the waters been stagnant for a while. Put another air stone in there too.

The water in the tank has been acting as a water bath so been stagnant the past 3 days so not much hope for the ones that are in there although they're wriggling now

OH NO!!! I know how that feels. That is sort of the reason for my "lone survivor" situation. Granted I only had 4 wigglers, but when I tried to move them, the waterfall from the filter knocked all 4 of them off their leaf and I was only able to salvage just the one.

Use a turkey baster and try and get the babies that fell into the big tank and put them back into the jug! Is that a possibility? You said they are still wiggling....

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
OH NO!!! I know how that feels. That is sort of the reason for my "lone survivor" situation. Granted I only had 4 wigglers, but when I tried to move them, the waterfall from the filter knocked all 4 of them off their leaf and I was only able to salvage just the one.

Use a turkey baster and try and get the babies that fell into the big tank and put them back into the jug! Is that a possibility? You said they are still wiggling....
I don't have one unfortunately. There are a few wrigglers in the tank but majority aren't; I imagine they'll be gone by the morning!

A majority of the eggs are still in the jug but a bit piled up. I can't actually get a good view of them so will have to check in the morning and see if they're white or not. I've dosed some extra meth blue in the main tank to try and keep fungus under control

I'd actually be more than happy if only 1 or 2 made it so I could keep them but I think I may have to wait until the next batch now. The good news is that I know that won't be long

Actually just looked at the slate and there's 4-5 wrigglers still on there and about 5-10 good eggs not yet hatched. So still hope for a bit of life ! I just want a few to get free swimming so that I can try my hand at BBS

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Actually just looked at the slate and there's 4-5 wrigglers still on there and about 5-10 good eggs not yet hatched. So still hope for a bit of life ! I just want a few to get free swimming so that I can try my hand at BBS
That might be a really good number for you :) I hope all the ones still on the Slate make it!

I just stared at my wigglers for a few minutes. Once they get to the wiggling stage they tend to move around a bit. They aren't swimming or anything but they can Bounce Around and move a little bit away from where they were maybe 10 minutes earlier. So every time I look at them I get a different number. This time I counted 29!

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
That might be a really good number for you :) I hope all the ones still on the Slate make it!

I just stared at my wigglers for a few minutes. Once they get to the wiggling stage they tend to move around a bit. They aren't swimming or anything but they can Bounce Around and move a little bit away from where they were maybe 10 minutes earlier. So every time I look at them I get a different number. This time I counted 29!
I've just taken a closer look and there are a lot of eggs in the main tank wriggling. No reason why they can't survive on the floor of the big tank; there's no substrate and an air stone so I just need to keep the water clean. Will see how things look tomorrow !

Haha I tried counting so many time but gave up! I'll start counting when they're free swimming as I imagine I'll have a lot less by then

Mom2some

MarkN1990 said:
I've just taken a closer look and there are a lot of eggs in the main tank wriggling. No reason why they can't survive on the floor of the big tank; there's no substrate and an air stone so I just need to keep the water clean. Will see how things look tomorrow !

Haha I tried counting so many time but gave up! I'll start counting when they're free swimming as I imagine I'll have a lot less by then
I am so confused as to which tank the wigglers fell into... the main tank or your grow out tank that you were going to put the fry in once they were wiggling? I need a pictoral explanation of the process I think (just kidding - sort of). Thanks for sharing the journey with us!

MarkN1990

Mom2some said:
I am so confused as to which tank the wigglers fell into... the main tank or your grow out tank that you were going to put the fry in once they were wiggling? I need a pictoral explanation of the process I think (just kidding - sort of). Thanks for sharing the journey with us!
Haha they fell into my grow out tank! Still a lot of movement this morning. I can't actually see into my 1 gal container to see if any movement. I'm actually going to pour them all into the grow out tank and just do water changes on that going forward. Picture evidence attached as requested

Edit: moved them all into my grow out tank and there is still a LOT of movement! I can't see a lot of the eggs through the meth blue and dirty outside of the tank but I certainly underestimated how hardy these little guys were. Off to work now so will update when I get back and have done a water change. Going to do another 70-80% change tonight to remove any left over stagnant water then revert to 50% changes from there. Thank god for Python!

RubyGem

Follow

MarkN1990

Tolak with hatching BBS, could I put the hatchery in my grow out tank so that it's kept warm and just keep the tank light on 24/7? Will the constant light cause any harm to the fry?

Edit: just found this and someone says they keep a light on 24/7 with Angel fry to promote them to eat so hoping it won't be an issue?

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Haha they fell into my grow out tank! Still a lot of movement this morning. I can't actually see into my 1 gal container to see if any movement. I'm actually going to pour them all into the grow out tank and just do water changes on that going forward. Picture evidence attached as requested

Edit: moved them all into my grow out tank and there is still a LOT of movement! I can't see a lot of the eggs through the meth blue and dirty outside of the tank but I certainly underestimated how hardy these little guys were. Off to work now so will update when I get back and have done a water change. Going to do another 70-80% change tonight to remove any left over stagnant water then revert to 50% changes from there. Thank god for Python!
Good morning! Or...afternoon for you? Its 8:20am for me. Just got to work. THis morning before I left I checked on the wigglers for only a moment or two. But all 22 are still on the leaf and the ones that fell off all appear to still be wiggling on the ground.

I am surprised yours are so hardy. In my experience the angel fry are VERY sensitive. BUT you are keeping their water nice and clean regardless of where they are. So that is the key! I am glad to hear things are going well despite the accident yesterday!

Last night I decided to move the sponge filter from my lone survivor's tank over to the tank with the wigglers. That "baby" is plenty big to have an HOB filter now. And it has been running alongside the sponge filter long enough that I think it is seeded. But I will still do daily water changes on his tank for the next week just to be safe.

Anyway, I did a water change on the wigglers tank and then put the sponge filter in. If I could do it over again I would put the sponge filter in and THEN do the water change. Because no mater how much I squeeze those sponge filters, they still spit out cloudy residue for a few seconds when I put them back...I even tried turning on the sponge filter in the bucket after I squeezed it out but before putting in in the tank, (Hoping to get the cloudy junk out before putting in in the tank)... but that didn't help. I still got cloudy crud coming out of it when I put it in the tank with the wigglers. I had to do another quick water change as a result....so their tank actually had back to back water changes last night. I was worried about them after all that, but this morning they all look great still!

So To sum up my timeline so far..... my eggs were laid Friday evening, I moved them Saturday evening and dosed their tank with the meth blue, they hatched late on sunday. I put the sponge filter in Tuesday evening. All while doing daily water changes. The babies should start free swimming in a couple more days. :)

aliray

Mom2some said:
Glad you asked the question, I also thought they fell in the tank with the adult fish, That sounds a lot more promising. fingers crossed. Alison

MarkN1990

aliray said:
Glad you asked the question, I also thought they fell in the tank with the adult fish, That sounds a lot more promising. fingers crossed. Alison
Oh right no if that was the case I'd have no eggs left and some very full corys!

aliray

That's exactly what I was thinking. I am so happy you have wigglers. Alison

MarkN1990

aliray said:
That's exactly what I was thinking. I am so happy you have wigglers. Alison
Thank you as am I! Just got home and did a large 70 ish % water change to keep things fresh and going to keep on dosing meth blue for now. I have so many wrigglers!! If even 10% make it I'll have my hands full. Tried to et a picture of the eggs but hard to make out due to the colours and the tank being on a fluffy rug. Pic of eggs and my current set up below

bizaliz3

They have eyeballs! :)

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
They have eyeballs! :)
WOW that is absolutely adorable!!! I'm
Super jealous I hope some of mine get to that stage!

You already have brine shrimp on the go, right? Do you just keep a light by them? can I see a pic please ? How do you keep them warm?

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
WOW that is absolutely adorable!!! I'm
Super jealous I hope some of mine get to that stage!

You already have brine shrimp on the go, right? Do you just keep a light by them? can I see a pic please ? How do you keep them warm?
See post #11 in this thread, I posted a pic of my minI hatchery on there. I keep it on my kitchen counter due to lack of space. And with the need for 24 hour lighting, I don't want it in my bedroom...

Anyway, I have a small air pump and some tubing and a desk lamp shining on the bottle. The 40W bulb in the lamp keeps the water very warm. Possibly warmer than it should...I have never checked the temp. That might be why mine hatch so fast! (only about 18 hours)

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
See post #11 in this thread, I posted a pic of my minI hatchery on there. I keep it on my kitchen counter due to lack of space. And with the need for 24 hour lighting, I don't want it in my bedroom...

Anyway, I have a small air pump and some tubing and a desk lamp shining on the bottle. The 40W bulb in the lamp keeps the water very warm. Possibly warmer than it should...I have never checked the temp. That might be why mine hatch so fast! (only about 18 hours)

ah yes I remember.

I'm concerned about how I'm going to keep it at a high enough temperature and light on it 24/7 will have to start thinking about that soon.

I'm working from home the rest of this week and all next so going to do a couple of 50% changes a day in my grow out tank to keep everything fresh. Everyone's still wriggling at the moment so things are going well

How're you getting on ?

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
ah yes I remember.

I'm concerned about how I'm going to keep it at a high enough temperature and light on it 24/7 will have to start thinking about that soon.

I'm working from home the rest of this week and all next so going to do a couple of 50% changes a day in my grow out tank to keep everything fresh. Everyone's still wriggling at the moment so things are going well

How're you getting on ?
That is wonderful that you get to be home the rest of the week. I think this stage of development is a great time to be able to keep a closer eye on them. You will enjoy being close to them as they keep developing. Do yours have eyes yet? I imagine they should very soon if not already! Do you have any rough estimate of how many wigglers you have?

Me? I was able to count 23 this morning, but the ones that are not on the top leaf have been harder to find. They have found hiding spots under the lower leaves and stuff. So I am sure there are at least a few more. :) I am really excited! This evening it will be 6 days....So tomorrow evening a few of them may get brave and start swimming. Which will be great because I will be home all weekend to keep a close eye on the new swimmers!! :) I am so pumped right now!!

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
That is wonderful that you get to be home the rest of the week. I think this stage of development is a great time to be able to keep a closer eye on them. You will enjoy being close to them as they keep developing. Do yours have eyes yet? I imagine they should very soon if not already! Do you have any rough estimate of how many wigglers you have?

Me? I was able to count 23 this morning, but the ones that are not on the top leaf have been harder to find. They have found hiding spots under the lower leaves and stuff. So I am sure there are at least a few more. :) I am really excited! This evening it will be 6 days....So tomorrow evening a few of them may get brave and start swimming. Which will be great because I will be home all weekend to keep a close eye on the new swimmers!! :) I am so pumped right now!!
Nope, no eyes yet. I expect they will have within 24 hours.

All mine are clumped in balls on the bottom of a big tank so it's almost impossible for me to say how many are in there. I would say around 100 if not more !!

Going to be one of a challenge if they all start free swimming !

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Nope, no eyes yet. I expect they will have within 24 hours.

All mine are clumped in balls on the bottom of a big tank so it's almost impossible for me to say how many are in there. I would say around 100 if not more !!

Going to be one of a challenge if they all start free swimming !
Yikes...that is going to be a challenge for sure!! That is exactly why I have waited until they are free swimming before moving them. There aren't as many to worry about then! This time around was my first time moving them as eggs...but leaving them with mom and dad for 24 hours to reduce the number worked out to my benefit for sure!! I said all along that 20-ish babies would be a perfect number for me....and it is looking like despite starting out with almost 50 eggs I am ending up with the perfect number in the mid 20s. :)

Isn't it cute how the wigglers sort of snuggle with each other like that? :)

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Yikes...that is going to be a challenge for sure!! That is exactly why I have waited until they are free swimming before moving them. There aren't as many to worry about then! This time around was my first time moving them as eggs...but leaving them with mom and dad for 24 hours to reduce the number worked out to my benefit for sure!! I said all along that 20-ish babies would be a perfect number for me....and it is looking like despite starting out with almost 50 eggs I am ending up with the perfect number in the mid 20s. :)

Isn't it cute how the wigglers sort of snuggle with each other like that? :)
I know so cute!

I would let nature take its course but the eggs get eaten so quickly in my community tank. I don't have a spare tank big enough to house the breeders alone, unfortunately

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
I know so cute!

I would let nature take its course but the eggs get eaten so quickly in my community tank. I don't have a spare tank big enough to house the breeders alone, unfortunately
I hear ya. My current pair lost their first spawn to a flipping snail!

it is hard in community tanks that's for sure. My other pair was in a community tank, but they managed to keep the other small fish away from their eggs. And the nocturnal fish were bottom dwellers so at night they didn't go up to the top of the filter intake and eat eggs. Although my current pair that have their own tank now.....when they spawned the first time in the community tank, dad ate all the eggs WHILE she way laying them. He has never done that in the tank they are in by themselves so clearly he felt they were threatened in the big tank. So in a community tank it is either the other fish you have to worry about, OR the parents themselves because they don't think their eggs are safe!

If you end up with WAAAY more babies than you can handle....I think the best option would be to feed some to your other fish right when they start swimming. Because...you know..."circle of life" and stuff? lol I know It sounds so awful...but if you have 100+ babies....and you don't have the space for them, then what?? They will probably just get more and more miserable as they grow and possibly have a lot of deaths as a result of overcrowding....So make their life worthwhile by making some be food for the other fish and then the ones you raise will have a much better chance at a healthy life.

Put it this way, for a previous spawn of mine, with 30 babies, I needed two 10 gallon tanks and a 46 gallon grow out tank before they were finally ready to go to the LFS. So....there is no way I could properly raise much more than 30. So do you think you will have the space for 100+ babies? If not....I think you should consider thinning out the crowd once they start swimming,.....as hard as it will be!!! (that is assuming all of them make it to that point...which I think they will!)

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
I hear ya. My current pair lost their first spawn to a flipping snail!

it is hard in community tanks that's for sure. My other pair was in a community tank, but they managed to keep the other small fish away from their eggs. And the nocturnal fish were bottom dwellers so at night they didn't go up to the top of the filter intake and eat eggs. Although my current pair that have their own tank now.....when they spawned the first time in the community tank, dad ate all the eggs WHILE she way laying them. He has never done that in the tank they are in by themselves so clearly he felt they were threatened in the big tank. So in a community tank it is either the other fish you have to worry about, OR the parents themselves because they don't think their eggs are safe!

If you end up with WAAAY more babies than you can handle....I think the best option would be to feed some to your other fish right when they start swimming. Because...you know..."circle of life" and stuff? lol I know It sounds so awful...but if you have 100+ babies....and you don't have the space for them, then what?? They will probably just get more and more miserable as they grow and possibly have a lot of deaths as a result of overcrowding....So make their life worthwhile by making some be food for the other fish and then the ones you raise will have a much better chance at a healthy life.

Put it this way, for a previous spawn of mine, with 30 babies, I needed two 10 gallon tanks and a 46 gallon grow out tank before they were finally ready to go to the LFS. So....there is no way I could properly raise much more than 30. So do you think you will have the space for 100+ babies? If not....I think you should consider thinning out the crowd once they start swimming,.....as hard as it will be!!! (that is assuming all of them make it to that point...which I think they will!)
I'm fully prepared to put a large number in my community tank. If any of them survive that then they deserve to grow out !

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
I'm fully prepared to put a large number in my community tank. If any of them survive that then they deserve to grow out !
Sounds like a plan!!! :) What fish do you have in your community tank? just curious!! :)

Any eyes yet?! LOL I know I just asked that a couple hours ago....BUT....things change fast! hee hee

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Sounds like a plan!!! :) What fish do you have in your community tank? just curious!! :)

Any eyes yet?! LOL I know I just asked that a couple hours ago....BUT....things change fast! hee hee
Hahah no not yet! I will let you know when there is!

I have 2 angels, 7 runny nose tetra, 10 corys and 3 platys

How about you?

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom