Angel fish eggs

MarkN1990

Ok so anyone who's been following my previous threads will know the situation and luckily my angelfish are, as we speak, laying eggs on the slate I purchased !

Now, I don't have a sponge filter as it hasn't arrived yet. I will have to use a new fluval u3 and turn it right down, but obviously that means it's not cycled. I will take some of the established bio max from my current filter to aid the cycle but my question is this.

At what stage will the eggs start producing ammonia? I don't want the BB that I transfer to starve if no ammonia is produced when they're just eggs.
@aliray

Thanks

Mark

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1458652787.416824.jpg

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Now, I don't have a sponge filter as it hasn't arrived yet. I will have to use a new

At what stage will the eggs start producing ammonia? I don't want the BB that I transfer to starve if no ammonia is produced when they're just eggs.
I think that is where the daily 50% water changes come into play!! :)

edit: I have never moved the eggs and done that part myself though. I have only moved the fry as soon as they start swimming. But they require daily water changes for the first few weeks. Maybe Tolak can help with the raising the eggs yourself part of the equation. :)

aliray

Congrats on the new eggs. I guess they really liked your slate. I have never raised or bred angelfish but Tolak and bizaliz3 both do and maybe they can help. I wouldn't think eggs that were fertile would add anything to the bioload. Iwould ask them . hopefully they will see this mention and come to help. Alison

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:

edit: I have never moved the eggs and done that part myself though. I have only moved the fry as soon as they start swimming. But they require daily water changes for the first few weeks. Maybe Tolak can help with the raising the eggs yourself part of the equation. :)
Daily water changes when they're free swimming? Or every day from today when they're just eggs

bizaliz3 said:

Daily water changes when they're free swimming? Or every day from today when they're just eggs

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Daily water changes until they've been swimming for a few weeks. At that point I added more filtration to their tank because they were a little bigger and then I started doing water changes twice a week.

I was not able to keep any angelfish fry alive until I started doing daily water changes on their tank and fed them live baby brine shrimp...

MarkN1990

This is what I have set up so far. I've removed the eggs. I'll do daily changes starting tomorrow and need to look into baby brine shrimp as I have no idea what to do with them or how to hatch!

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1458661859.112416.jpg

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
This is what I have set up so far. I've removed the eggs. I'll do daily changes starting tomorrow and need to look into baby brine shrimp as I have no idea what to do with them or how to hatch!

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1458661859.112416.jpg
I am envious that your angels used the slate you gave them!! Mine never would. They insist on leaves or filter intakes. Much harder to remove :) That is part of the reason I haven't tried to raise them from the egg stage.

My little prince charming lone survivor angel was moved after being laid 3 days prior. So just a little wiggler....not free swimming, but no longer at the egg stage. That is the closest I got to removing the fry BEFORE they started swimming.

I think your set up looks great! Congrats on the new batch of eggs, I hope it all works out for you! I am excited to see how it all plays out after removing them at the egg stage. :) Do you have eggs that have turned white? I know you have to remove those since mom and dad are not there to do it...otherwise they will damage the good eggs that are near them.

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
I am envious that your angels used the slate you gave them!! Mine never would. They insist on leaves or filter intakes. Much harder to remove :) That is part of the reason I haven't tried to raise them from the egg stage.

My little prince charming lone survivor angel was moved after being laid 3 days prior. So just a little wiggler....not free swimming, but no longer at the egg stage. That is the closest I got to removing the fry BEFORE they started swimming.

I think your set up looks great! Congrats on the new batch of eggs, I hope it all works out for you! I am excited to see how it all plays out after removing them at the egg stage. :) Do you have eggs that have turned white? I know you have to remove those since mom and dad are not there to do it...otherwise they will damage the good eggs that are near them.
No white eggs get - I have some tweezers at the ready though. Please don't be envious yet it probably won't work!!

Just looked in to hatching baby brine shrimp and seems like a lot of effort to hatch them. How about blending frozen bloodworms in tank water, could that work ?

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Just looked in to hatching baby brine shrimp and seems like a lot of effort to hatch them. How about blending frozen bloodworms in tank water, could that work ?
Its really not as much work as it seems. I felt the same way as you. I tried everything before I broke down and made a hatchery. I tried hikarI first bites, I tried frozen baby brine shrimp, I tried instant baby brine shrimp (which is sort of like a canned version) I tried finely crushed flakes. I tried everything to AVOID a stupid hatchery....but finally I gave in and made a hatchery because I was not having luck keeping the fry alive. As soon as I started with freshly hatched BBS, it made all the difference in the world.

It is definitely annoying and inconvenient...but it really doesn't require a ton of effort. And it is only for the first couple weeks and then you can start to get them onto other things. I chose to do much smaller hatcheries than what you see on youtube and stuff because I have never had a gigantic spawn. (probably because I wait until they are free swimming...if I moved them as eggs and cared for them myself I might get a much larger spawn)

I use a 16.9 oz bottle and a small air pump and some air tubing. I got my eggs from, I found that to be the best price out there and I use aquarium salt.

MarkN1990

Do you have a picture of how your hatchery was set up?

I have some spare airline tubing and can go grab a couple of bottles of water to make something

Do you just have one hatchery for a spawn I assume ?

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Do you have a picture of how your hatchery was set up?

I have some spare airline tubing and can go grab a couple of bottles of water to make something

Do you just have one hatchery for a spawn I assume ?
It depends on the size of your hatchery and size of your spawn.

Here is my minI hatchery...

Attachments

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:

Think that's what I'll be doing, just a couple of bottles. That will be enough to satisfy one spawn? Isn't a huge amount of eggs

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1458674930.251237.jpg

bizaliz3 said:

Also, how do you get the BBS out from the hatchery to feed? Do you have to rinse off the salt water ?

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Also, how do you get the BBS out from the hatchery to feed? Do you have to rinse off the salt water ?
I don't know if I should answer this...because the way I do it is NOTHING like how others do it. or how it is "supposed to" be done. And the biggest spawn I have raised was 27 babies. So I don't think my process would even work for a really large spawn.

After 18-24 hours, I turn off the bubbles and shine a flashlight towards the bottom of the bottle and most of the babies will go towards the light. After a little time has passed I take a straw, cover one end with my finger and put the straw to the bottom of the bottle and release my finger and then put my finger back on again really quick. It will suck up a bunch of babies. I then release them into a bowl with tank water in it. Those babies will survive in the bowl for another 12-24 hours. I then use a turkey baster to suck up a bunch of babies from the bowl and put them in the fry tank. As a result a very VERY small amount of salt may get into the tank. But we are talking a very tiny amount!! Most of the water in that bowl of BBS was tank water. It was nothing that caused any problems for my fry. There will still be some BBS in that bowl for the next feeding. Also, Not all of the BBS eggs hatch in those first 24 hours...so The hatchery gets put back under the light with the bubbles and harvested again about 12 hours or so later. After I take out the BBS at that point I start a new batch.

This is what has worked for me for small spawns and it has worked for my one single angel baby I am currently raising. If you have a really large spawn, you will want two hatcheries going and start them maybe 24-36 hours apart. You might want to go larger with your hatcheries too. And my process most likely won't work for a big spawn.

There are tons of videos on youtube showing the "normal" harvesting process. If you haven't already checked it out.

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
I don't know if I should answer this...because the way I do it is NOTHING like how others do it. or how it is "supposed to" be done. And the biggest spawn I have raised was 27 babies. So I don't think my process would even work for a really large spawn.

After 18-24 hours, I turn off the bubbles and shine a flashlight towards the bottom of the bottle and most of the babies will go towards the light. After a little time has passed I take a straw, cover one end with my finger and put the straw to the bottom of the bottle and release my finger and then put my finger back on again really quick. It will suck up a bunch of babies. I then release them into a bowl with tank water in it. Those babies will survive in the bowl for another 12-24 hours. I then use a turkey baster to suck up a bunch of babies from the bowl and put them in the fry tank. As a result a very VERY small amount of salt may get into the tank. But we are talking a very tiny amount!! Most of the water in that bowl of BBS was tank water. It was nothing that caused any problems for my fry. There will still be some BBS in that bowl for the next feeding. Also, Not all of the BBS eggs hatch in those first 24 hours...so The hatchery gets put back under the light with the bubbles and harvested again about 12 hours or so later. After I take out the BBS at that point I start a new batch.

This is what has worked for me for small spawns and it has worked for my one single angel baby I am currently raising. If you have a really large spawn, you will want two hatcheries going and start them maybe 24-36 hours apart. You might want to go larger with your hatcheries too. And my process most likely won't work for a big spawn.

There are tons of videos on youtube showing the "normal" harvesting process. If you haven't already checked it out.
Thanks for the detailed response. As you can imagine I've spent all day looking at YouTube! Ordered my shelled eggs today using Prime so will be here shortly.

I only have one spare airpump slot at the moment so unfortunately will only be able to get one batch going at a time. I'm going to use a coffee strainer to separate the BBS and rinse with dechlorinated water, then store these in a tub of tank water for as long as possible and restart the hatching process instantly.

God knows is this will work, not holding out much hope for this batch to be honest but is all a learning process. I'll get another air pump and maybe a more advanced hatchery soon

Tolak

Pile some of the mature bio max on top of the brand new sponge filter. It will have enough current going through the mature media to provide bio filtration, and will help seed the sponge filter. Back in the day when undergravel filtration was the newest & best plenty of folks did this with gravel when they had to set up a tank in a hurry without a mature sponge filter.

I run just air in hatching tanks until the wigglers are swimmers, then run a sponge filter. Be aware that a sponge filter run at that low of a flow provides very little mechanical filtration, water changes every day are the mechanical part, as well as wiping & siphoning the bottom of the bare tank.

Hatching bbs is pretty easy once you get a routine down. You'll hatch all the bbs you'll ever need at this point with a cut down clear 2 liter bottle. I feed hundreds of fry with a single 2 liter setup, though my hatcher is set up to hold a maximum of a pair of gallon jars. I've rarely had to use a single gallon jar, once you get past around 1/2, maybe 3/4 of a teaspoon of bbs the hatch rate seems to go down, I guess like anything else the little shrimp suffer from overstocking. For a single spawn 1/8 tsp is more than enough for feeding them for a 24 hour period. A little practice hatching bbs before the angels are swimmers won't hurt, many adult species such as corys, loachs & so on will be more than happy to chow down on any extra once it hits the bottom of the tank.

I guess my cut down hatchery holds about 1.5 liters of water, maybe a bit less. I start with straight cold tap, no dechlor, 1.5 tablespoons of salt, half a teaspoon of baking soda to increase water hardness, and two drops of plain chlorine bleach. At 80F I get a hatch every 24 hours, I built a cabinet with a 40w bulb on a dimmer, hold temperature pretty accurately.

Come evening, I pull out the air line, pull out the bottle, park it on a counter with a clamp light shining on the bottom, and go do something else for about 10 minutes. The bbs will settle to the bottom, where the light is shining in that amount of time. I then take my turkey baster, and suck out all the nice orange bbs, squirt them into an old sour cream container that has a hole cut in the lid. That gets set to the side, the plastic bottle setup goes to the sink, gets dumped, refilled with fresh cold tap, & set up for the next evening's bbs harvest. Here's a harvesting trick; the surface will be covered with shells, really not harmful to fry, but makes a mess of the fry tank. Before going at it with the baster rub your nose, touch the surface of the hatcher, the oil in your skin reduces surface tension, the shells all go to the side, giant baster hole just waiting.

By the time the new batch is set up the bbs in the smaller container have settled to the bottom. I ave a large plastic cup with a paper coffee filter rubber banded to it, pull out some shrimp with an eyedropper, squirt it in the filter. I have a used 1 liter water bottle with tap water, a quick rinse for the bbs in the filter, they're ready to feed. For a singe spawn of 200-300 newly swimming fry you'll need 3, maybe 4 drops of bbs in the filter, this will increase as the fry grow. This is why you start with 1/8 tsp at first, if you feed 4-5 times daily you're looking at 16, maybe 20 drops of bbs. The sour cream container about half full of brine solution with the rest of the bbs goes in the fridge, they will keep for 48 hours no problem this way. This makes morning & later in the day feedings real easy, a few drops in the filter cup, a quick rinse & feed, especially mornings since I'm in no way a morning person.

With hatching bbs cleanliness is as important as with the fry tank, this is the reason for chlorinated tap, a couple drops of bleach, a room temperature tap water rinse, and daily rinsing & refilling. Folks try to take short cuts, reuse brine solution, squirt them brine solution & all into fry tanks, it's a problem waiting to happen, as warm salt water with no bio filtration is a nasty bacteria factory.

Here's a couple links off my worm site, first has saved me countless hours of typing over many years, second is from some time back after I took one of my usual breaks from breeding;

I know I've got bbs hatching pics, I helped someone out some time back, let me do a bit of digging for those. Any more questions feel free to ask, I'm a terrible angel breeding enabler!

aliray

Tolak said:
Pile some of the mature bio max on top of the brand new sponge filter. It will have enough current going through the mature media to provide bio filtration, and will help seed the sponge filter. Back in the day when undergravel filtration was the newest & best plenty of folks did this with gravel when they had to set up a tank in a hurry without a mature sponge filter.

I run just air in hatching tanks until the wigglers are swimmers, then run a sponge filter. Be aware that a sponge filter run at that low of a flow provides very little mechanical filtration, water changes every day are the mechanical part, as well as wiping & siphoning the bottom of the bare tank.

Hatching bbs is pretty easy once you get a routine down. You'll hatch all the bbs you'll ever need at this point with a cut down clear 2 liter bottle. I feed hundreds of fry with a single 2 liter setup, though my hatcher is set up to hold a maximum of a pair of gallon jars. I've rarely had to use a single gallon jar, once you get past around 1/2, maybe 3/4 of a teaspoon of bbs the hatch rate seems to go down, I guess like anything else the little shrimp suffer from overstocking. For a single spawn 1/8 tsp is more than enough for feeding them for a 24 hour period. A little practice hatching bbs before the angels are swimmers won't hurt, many adult species such as corys, loachs & so on will be more than happy to chow down on any extra once it hits the bottom of the tank.

I guess my cut down hatchery holds about 1.5 liters of water, maybe a bit less. I start with straight cold tap, no dechlor, 1.5 tablespoons of salt, half a teaspoon of baking soda to increase water hardness, and two drops of plain chlorine bleach. At 80F I get a hatch every 24 hours, I built a cabinet with a 40w bulb on a dimmer, hold temperature pretty accurately.

Come evening, I pull out the air line, pull out the bottle, park it on a counter with a clamp light shining on the bottom, and go do something else for about 10 minutes. The bbs will settle to the bottom, where the light is shining in that amount of time. I then take my turkey baster, and suck out all the nice orange bbs, squirt them into an old sour cream container that has a hole cut in the lid. That gets set to the side, the plastic bottle setup goes to the sink, gets dumped, refilled with fresh cold tap, & set up for the next evening's bbs harvest. Here's a harvesting trick; the surface will be covered with shells, really not harmful to fry, but makes a mess of the fry tank. Before going at it with the baster rub your nose, touch the surface of the hatcher, the oil in your skin reduces surface tension, the shells all go to the side, giant baster hole just waiting.

By the time the new batch is set up the bbs in the smaller container have settled to the bottom. I ave a large plastic cup with a paper coffee filter rubber banded to it, pull out some shrimp with an eyedropper, squirt it in the filter. I have a used 1 liter water bottle with tap water, a quick rinse for the bbs in the filter, they're ready to feed. For a singe spawn of 200-300 newly swimming fry you'll need 3, maybe 4 drops of bbs in the filter, this will increase as the fry grow. This is why you start with 1/8 tsp at first, if you feed 4-5 times daily you're looking at 16, maybe 20 drops of bbs. The sour cream container about half full of brine solution with the rest of the bbs goes in the fridge, they will keep for 48 hours no problem this way. This makes morning & later in the day feedings real easy, a few drops in the filter cup, a quick rinse & feed, especially mornings since I'm in no way a morning person.

With hatching bbs cleanliness is as important as with the fry tank, this is the reason for chlorinated tap, a couple drops of bleach, a room temperature tap water rinse, and daily rinsing & refilling. Folks try to take short cuts, reuse brine solution, squirt them brine solution & all into fry tanks, it's a problem waiting to happen, as warm salt water with no bio filtration is a nasty bacteria factory.

Here's a couple links off my worm site, first has saved me countless hours of typing over many years, second is from some time back after I took one of my usual breaks from breeding;

I know I've got bbs hatching pics, I helped someone out some time back, let me do a bit of digging for those. Any more questions feel free to ask, I'm a terrible angel breeding enabler!
I think we can change that to a lifesaver for advice on angelfish. Thanks Tolak. Alison

MarkN1990

Tolak I've only just seen this and can't thank you enough for typing all this out... Completely invaluable information and no teacher better than experience ! Thank you so much

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 Tolak

I'm slightly confused with a couple of small aspects here. I plan on buying a small 1-2 gallon jar to put the slate in (a vase) and running an air stone in this to make dosing methylene blue easier and cheaper.

At what stage would I take the slate out of this jar and put it into a hatching tank? When I see wriggles or when free swimming? If free swimming, how do I transfer them?

At what stage so I put a sponge filter in the tank? The meth blue will obviously kill any beneficial bacteria and it'll also need waste to feed on.

Thanks
Mark

aliray

How are the eggs coming along? Any news yet? Alison

MarkN1990

aliray said:
How are the eggs coming along? Any news yet? Alison
Ah I forgot to update this thread did a different one! Unfortunately I woke up one morning and all the eggs were on the bed of my tank and white. Either unfertilised or a fungus issue, not sure which. I've got some methylene for my next batch and BSS so just waiting now !

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
bizaliz3 Tolak

I'm slightly confused with a couple of small aspects here. I plan on buying a small 1-2 gallon jar to put the slate in (a vase) and running an air stone in this to make dosing methylene blue easier and cheaper.

At what stage would I take the slate out of this jar and put it into a hatching tank? When I see wriggles or when free swimming? If free swimming, how do I transfer them?

At what stage so I put a sponge filter in the tank? The meth blue will obviously kill any beneficial bacteria and it'll also need waste to feed on.

Thanks
Mark
I would suggest moving them as soon as they hatch and start wiggling but before free swimming. Because if I'm not mistaken I think the antifungal stuff is only for during the egg stage... and they'll be much easier to move when they're still stuck to the Slate. And I moved one when it was wiggling but not swimming and he did fine in his new tank. Which had a sponge filter and daily water changes.

Once you move them into the tank you don't have the meth blue to worry about... I say get the Sponge Filter running on the tank before you even move them in there... just so it's ready to go

Tolak will be of more help. I don't think the baby tank ever really gets good bb because you'll be doing 50% water changes every single day...

EDIT and for the record, I just picked up my first bottle of meth blue and I am thinking about intervening on my next batch of eggs....It will be my first try raising them from the egg stage. I wonder if our angels will stay on schedule and lay their next batches at the same time :)

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
I would suggest moving them as soon as they hatch and start wiggling but before free swimming. Because if I'm not mistaken I think the antifungal stuff is only for during the egg stage... and they'll be much easier to move when they're still stuck to the Slate. And I moved one when it was wiggling but not swimming and he did fine in his new tank. Which had a sponge filter and daily water changes.

Once you move them into the tank you don't have the meth blue to worry about... I say get the Sponge Filter running on the tank before you even move them in there... just so it's ready to go

Tolak will be of more help. I don't think the baby tank ever really gets good bb because you'll be doing 50% water changes every single day...

EDIT and for the record, I just picked up my first bottle of meth blue and I am thinking about intervening on my next batch of eggs....It will be my first try raising them from the egg stage. I wonder if our angels will stay on schedule and lay their next batches at the same time :)
I hope so! And hopefully we have more luck this time

I have my sponge filter running in my main tank to seed a little before adding to the hatching tank. I'll leave them in the 1 gal container for a few days until they start wriggling then I guess. I'll try and submerge it in my 20G fry tank to keep the heat steady. Will need to try and find a vase!

aliray

That's a bummer. sorry about the eggs. Alison

MarkN1990

aliray said:
That's a bummer. sorry about the eggs. Alison
I'm absolutely fine about it don't worry! Practice makes perfect

MarkN1990

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1459440114.390398.jpg

Just picked up this 1Gal container that I'll be able to sit my eggs in with an air stone dosed with meth blue until they start to wriggle! I'll then just pull the slate out and put it in the 18g tank it's sitting in with a sponge filter and hope for better results !
bizaliz3 how's your angel looking? Mines looking nice and full of eggs but no ones started cleaning any surfaces yet !

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1459440114.390398.jpg

Just picked up this 1Gal container that I'll be able to sit my eggs in with an air stone dosed with meth blue until they start to wriggle! I'll then just pull the slate out and put it in the 18g tank it's sitting in with a sponge filter and hope for better results !
bizaliz3 how's your angel looking? Mines looking nice and full of eggs but no ones started cleaning any surfaces yet !
My female looks very close to laying her eggs. I am expecting eggs in the next couple days for sure!!!

I might give the parents one more chance to do it themselves before I intervene. I do have the meth blue now though....so if I want to give it a try....maybe I should and we can do it together :) I would have to do it in a 5 gallon. Although, I might take your idea and just get a 1 gallon container. We'll see.

How did you go about moving the eggs last time? did they get any air in the move? or did they stay submerged the whole way? How should I do it?

aliray

I am still following. Come on EGGS. Alison

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
My female looks very close to laying her eggs. I am expecting eggs in the next couple days for sure!!!

I might give the parents one more chance to do it themselves before I intervene. I do have the meth blue now though....so if I want to give it a try....maybe I should and we can do it together :) I would have to do it in a 5 gallon. Although, I might take your idea and just get a 1 gallon container. We'll see.

How did you go about moving the eggs last time? did they get any air in the move? or did they stay submerged the whole way? How should I do it?
Well, mine all died, so I may not be the best person to ask!! I just picked the slate out and put it into a new tank filled with the tank water. There was air contact for a few seconds maximum. I'll be keeping them submerged this time, though

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Well, mine all died, so I may not be the best person to ask!! I just picked the slate out and put it into a new tank filled with the tank water. There was air contact for a few seconds maximum. I'll be keeping them submerged this time, though
I want to move the eggs with you!! But I don't know if I am ready yet! I just think it would be so fun to do it together at the same time and watch the similarities or the differences!!

As I said, I was going to let mom and dad have one more try with the eggs...BUT if it does turn out that our females lay their eggs on the same exact day...I think I want to try and move the eggs and raise them myself just like you are. :)

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
I want to move the eggs with you!! But I don't know if I am ready yet! I just think it would be so fun to do it together at the same time and watch the similarities or the differences!!

As I said, I was going to let mom and dad have one more try with the eggs...BUT if it does turn out that our females lay their eggs on the same exact day...I think I want to try and move the eggs and raise them myself just like you are. :)
I think the key word here is try!! But yet that would be cool! Learn from eachothers mistakes

Tolak

I wiped out quite a few spawns long ago figuring how to get it right. Plenty of folks hatch in a gallon jar, moving the fry to a tank a day or 2 after they become swimmers. They sell jar size sponge filter setups, pretty neat thing, it sits on the bottom, one large round sheet.

I put a small sponge filter in once they're swimmers, I keep them cycled in stocked tanks. It's no big deal if air hits the eggs, as long as they don't dry out. The fungus you see is secondary to a bacterial problem, very much like columnaris. If you can beat the bacteria you'll have little to no fungus, and a good hatch rate.

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
I think the key word here is try!! But yet that would be cool! Learn from eachothers mistakes
My eggs have been laid. How about you?

I've decided to give the parents another shot with the eggs this time around...

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
My eggs have been laid. How about you?

I've decided to give the parents another shot with the eggs this time around...
Congrats!! Nothing yet my end. She's defo full up just need to find the slate! I'm actually away this weekend leaving in an hour or so. Just did a nice warm water change and chucked in a couple cubes of blood worms so I'll either come back to eggs or eaten eggs!

Are your angels in a community tank ?

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Congrats!! Nothing yet my end. She's defo full up just need to find the slate! I'm actually away this weekend leaving in an hour or so. Just did a nice warm water change and chucked in a couple cubes of blood worms so I'll either come back to eggs or eaten eggs!

Are your angels in a community tank ?
Mine started out in a community tank. But their last couple tries have been in a tank by themselves. I tried to give slate to both of my angel pairs. The only thing either pair ever used is the filter intake or a broad leaf. Lol

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Mine started out in a community tank. But their last couple tries have been in a tank by themselves. I tried to give slate to both of my angel pairs. The only thing either pair ever used is the filter intake or a broad leaf. Lol
I have eggs!! Not many though really. Going to leave them in the community tank whilst the light is on, they seem to do a good job of protecting them! I'll take them out this evening and into the 1 gal with an air stone and meth blue. See if I have any more luck!

How are yours getting on?

Oh and they laid on the slate again

@bizaliz3 well worth looking at this !

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
@bizaliz3 well worth looking at this !
Wow....so much information! I Skimmed through it a bit but I'm going to have to take more time to see it all! Thanks for showing me :) it seems much more complicated though. Definitely more geared towards commercial breeding, at least from what I saw...

MarkN1990 said:
I have eggs!! Not many though really. Going to leave them in the community tank whilst the light is on, they seem to do a good job of protecting them! I'll take them out this evening and into the 1 gal with an air stone and meth blue. See if I have any more luck!

How are yours getting on?

Oh and they laid on the slate again
Well... I planned to let the parents do the work again and get more practice. But after 24 hours too many eggs were gone and I decided I was going to move them. Right now they're in a 5 gallon tank with methylene blue and a bubbler and a heater..... there are approximately 40 good eggs..... and I'm definitely okay with a spawn that size. In fact I prefer more like 20 :)

So are you thinking yours were laid yesterday at some point?

MarkN1990

bizaliz3 said:
Well... I planned to let the parents do the work again and get more practice. But after 24 hours too many eggs were gone and I decided I was going to move them. Right now they're in a 5 gallon tank with methylene blue and a bubbler and a heater..... there are approximately 40 good eggs..... and I'm definitely okay with a spawn that size. In fact I prefer more like 20 :)

So are you thinking yours were laid yesterday at some point?
Turns out they were still laying when I got home, caught them in the act! Much more eggs now, too many so I'm hoping they don't all hatch haha. I'm going to do a 100% water change after 24 hours, putting them into a new 1 gallon and halving the dose of meth blue. I did dechlorinate the water for the first 24 hours because they didn't in that link I sent! Will get prime in the next one though. So how far in are you now? A couple of days ahead of me ?

bizaliz3 said:
Wow....so much information! I Skimmed through it a bit but I'm going to have to take more time to see it all! Thanks for showing me :) it seems much more complicated though. Definitely more geared towards commercial breeding, at least from what I saw...
Yeh agreed, but some good ideas anyway

bizaliz3

MarkN1990 said:
Turns out they were still laying when I got home, caught them in the act! Much more eggs now, too many so I'm hoping they don't all hatch haha. I'm going to do a 100% water change after 24 hours, putting them into a new 1 gallon and halving the dose of meth blue. I did dechlorinate the water for the first 24 hours because they didn't in that link I sent! Will get prime in the next one though. So how far in are you now? A couple of days ahead of me ?
Mine were laid Friday evening. I moved them Saturday evening. It's been about 42 hours total....

Here's a current pic. The eggs were on a plant that was too tall for the 5 gallon so I had a hard time getting it situated properly. Sorry for the glares. I'm counting about 42 good eggs?

Here's also a zoomed out picture of the whole setup

Edit... here they were when I first moved them. There were about 50 good eggs at that point.. for the record two eggs have fallen off onto one of the lower leaves since I took this picture... they are still good eggs that have not turned white. So I guess that means I have about 44 at the moment

MarkN1990

Ahh looks great! I actually have a lot of eggs looking at them now haha!

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1459715067.548224.jpg

I've got them in a 1 gal container with meth blue. I spilt one drop of the stuff into the tank so now all of the water is blue ! Will see how things progress. Going to 100% water change every 24 hours and dose with meth blue each time. Make sure you keep me updated !

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1459715193.296225.jpg

bizaliz3

I'm starting to see my first Wigglers! My eggs have officially begun to hatch :)

Top Bottom