Angel fish eating plants

TIGERssr

Reaction score
Hello everyone..I have a 55 gallon planted tank which is one month old.
I have 3 angel fish. They were constantly mad at my anarchis plants and uprooted them. I thought they didn't like it.
But now they started eating my hygrophilia plants. Eating all newly grown leaves and destroying old ones.
I really can't stand this and I want to remove them.
I love angels but not at the cost of plants.
If anyone has a solution please help me ASAP!
Thank you.

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There is a chance that you aren't fulfilling their diet so they will pick on your plants.

This is what I have found about their diet:

'Angelfish eat a diet primarily composed of meat products. Their main diet should be composed of cichlid flakes and pellets. However, supplement the diet with live foods. Angelfish may enjoy things like brine shrimp, white worms, bloodworms, meal worms, as well as small insects and crustaceans.'

I have also found this:

'Angelfish will sometimes destroy plants. It's not necessarily diet, sometimes it's just boredom. You might try getting your angel a buddy or 5, but then he might just teach the rest of the angels to destroy plants and you'll just have a bunch of plant destroying angels.'

Or these:

Plant eating Angelfish - Fish for the Planted Aquarium - Aquatic Plant Central

Plants perfect for angelfish:

These Are the 5 Best Live Plants for Angelfish

Maybe just put plastic plants?

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
I've had my angels occasionally poke at the anarchis; doesn't really bother me since that stuff grows like a weed. For the most part they haven't done much serious damage in my forest. The plants vastly outgrow any damage the angels could do and it is really an exception. They never touch the sword plants 'cept when they lay eggs on them. Given I'm too lazy to do a proper pruning of the plants I kind of wish they would eat more of the plants.

xxyy.jpg

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TIGERssr said:
Hello everyone..I have a 55 gallon planted tank which is one month old.
I have 3 angel fish. They were constantly mad at my anarchis plants and uprooted them. I thought they didn't like it.
But now they started eating my hygrophilia plants. Eating all newly grown leaves and destroying old ones.
I really can't stand this and I want to remove them.
I love angels but not at the cost of plants.
If anyone has a solution please help me ASAP!
Thank you.
Tankmates?? I have a 55 gallon community and I just have some territorial fish at the bottom so the angels don’t think about going down there and wrecking my plants.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Sprinkle said:
There is a chance that you aren't fulfilling their diet so they will pick on your plants.

This is what I have found about their diet:

'Angelfish eat a diet primarily composed of meat products. Their main diet should be composed of cichlid flakes and pellets. However, supplement the diet with live foods. Angelfish may enjoy things like brine shrimp, white worms, bloodworms, meal worms, as well as small insects and crustaceans.'

I have also found this:

'Angelfish will sometimes destroy plants. It's not necessarily diet, sometimes it's just boredom. You might try getting your angel a buddy or 5, but then he might just teach the rest of the angels to destroy plants and you'll just have a bunch of plant destroying angels.'

Or these:

Plant eating Angelfish - Fish for the Planted Aquarium - Aquatic Plant Central

Plants perfect for angelfish:

These Are the 5 Best Live Plants for Angelfish

Maybe just put plastic plants?
I disagree with that statement. Angelfish are omnivores and they need both protein and plant based diet.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Crispii said:
I disagree with that statement. Angelfish are omnivores and they both protein and plant based diet.
I agree. My Angel's love to eat soft leaved plants. (So I stick with anubias that they don't touch) And they munch on zucchinI put in for plecos. And algae that results in green poop. And even java moss that they apparently cannot digest. As you can see with my angel here pooping out strands of java moss! Hahaha!!!!!

20190724_131833.jpg

They do enjoy their greenery in addition to their protein!

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Sprinkle said:
Read my "statement" again please then reply again.
It looks like you're contradicting with your statement. One the links that you have posted stated that angels ARE omnivore. "Angelfish are omnivores, but small live prey makes up the majority of their diet. In the wild, they feast on insects, larvae, crustaceans, even smaller fish. You can supplement their diets with cooked garden vegetables, including romaine, zucchinI and spinach. The vegetables should be lightly blanched before you give them to your fish." In your statement, you claimed that angels need only a protein based diet.

Cooked vegetables IS a plant based diet. I even witnessed angelfish going after spinach and cucumbers.

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Crispii said:
It looks like you're contradicting with your statement. One the links that you have posted stated that angels ARE omnivore. "Angelfish are omnivores, but small live prey makes up the majority of their diet. In the wild, they feast on insects, larvae, crustaceans, even smaller fish. You can supplement their diets with cooked garden vegetables, including romaine, zucchinI and spinach. The vegetables should be lightly blanched before you give them to your fish." In your statement, you claimed that angels need only a protein based diet.

Cooked based vegetables IS a plant based diet. I even witnessed angelfish going after spinach and cucumbers.
Yes I know. About the link tho, I admit it, I haven't look what I posted. I have just put few totally random links, I haven't even look at the content.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sprinkle said:
Yes I know. About the link tho, I admit it, I haven't look what I posted. I have just put few totally random links, I haven't even look at the content.
You might want to consider reading the content of the links you post before posting them. :) that's how misinformation gets spread.

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
bizaliz3 said:
You might want to consider reading the content of the links you post before posting them. :) that's how misinformation gets spread.
Ye, totally agree. I had my English lesson then when I have produced this.

OP
T

TIGERssr

Reaction score
jake37 said:
I've had my angels occasionally poke at the anarchis; doesn't really bother me since that stuff grows like a weed. For the most part they haven't done much serious damage in my forest. The plants vastly outgrow any damage the angels could do and it is really an exception. They never touch the sword plants 'cept when they lay eggs on them. Given I'm too lazy to do a proper pruning of the plants I kind of wish they would eat more of the plants.
When plants are fully grown that would be the case. But my plants are growing and angels are eating the new leaves.
They didn't bother the swords yet. They just hate anarchis and hygrophilia.
May be I will check if it's the hunger issue by feeding them thrice and get back.
Ocassional nipping at plants is not a problem but consistent demolition is.

So can I feed them zucchini, spinach to them?
How to do it?

jkkgron2 said:
Tankmates?? I have a 55 gallon community and I just have some territorial fish at the bottom so the angels don’t think about going down there and wrecking my plants.
There is a rainbow shark. But it doesn't bother anyone.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
To be fair to Sprinkle though, the comment says "primarily" and not "only" protein. What the website says backs that up, as the majority of the diet is made up of live prey. Still, I've found that plant eating can be a way fish tell us something is missing. My gouramI ate my moss until I began to feed it some more plant based foods, with protein remaining the primary food source.

OP
T

TIGERssr

Reaction score
Sprinkle said:
So it wouldn't bother the angels
No I also have pearl gouramis. It doesn't bother any other fish at all. I keep watching then all day when I am free.
Different things I saw in the fish apart from eating, swimming, sleeping etc., are rainbow shark hides a lot, angels destroy plants, pearls swim against air bubbles.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TIGERssr said:
No I also have pearl gouramis. It doesn't bother any other fish at all. I keep watching then all day when I am free.
Different things I saw in the fish apart from eating, swimming, sleeping etc., are rainbow shark hides a lot, angels destroy plants, pearls swim against air bubbles.
Get a kribensis, they help/my angels have not gone lower Than the middle of the tank since the Krib came......

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jkkgron2 said:
Get a kribensis, they help/my angels have not gone lower Than the middle of the tank since the Krib came......
I wouldnt encourage stressing the fish into not eating plants. If the fish are too afraid to go lower, they are scared. Which equals a certain level of stress.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
bizaliz3 said:
I wouldnt encourage stressing the fish into not eating plants. If the fish are too afraid to go lower, they are scared. Which equals a certain level of stress.
I don't mean to scare or stress them, My angels just don’t go lower because it’s the Kribs territory and they seem to have made their territories higher up because even tho the Krib isn’t aggressive to them, angels usually like their space and don’t appreciate sharing their territory with other fish.
Edit: I have seen them go lower so it’s not that they are scared, they just don't hang out long because the Krib is like my nosiest fish and will swim over to check what's In her territory and the angels just prefer to return to their chosen territory when they see the Krib in their fish bubble.

Oh also, don’t mean to double post but I I Take back what I said by middle.....that’s when they see me :) sorry for the misunderstanding, usually they just won’t go to the very bottom where the cories and Krib are.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
For zuc - I split it in half and take a chunk about 1.5 inches long and remove all the skin - put a plant clip (soft metal) in it so it sink and let the fishes eat it for 24 hours and remove the husk. The amount you put in depends on how many fishes you have and who likes it. I have 5 clowns and 3 pleco that go at it all day long. To be honest I don't think the angles eat it unless they eat it at night (they do get edgy at times and will poke the clowns which worry me - i'd hate to have the clown poke back). Some people say they need to blanch the zuc to get the fishes to eat it but mine are pretty much ok nibbling at it all day and night long. I've herd that some of the fishes love melon but ive been unwilling to put melon in my tank. Also peas are suppose to be useful food (remove the skin) but I can never get anyone to eat them so I stopped trying.

OP
T

TIGERssr

Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
I don't mean to scare or stress them, My angels just don’t go lower because it’s the Kribs territory and they seem to have made their territories higher up because even tho the Krib isn’t aggressive to them, angels usually like their space and don’t appreciate sharing their territory with other fish.
Edit: I have seen them go lower so it’s not that they are scared, they just don't hang out long because the Krib is like my nosiest fish and will swim over to check what's In her territory and the angels just prefer to return to their chosen territory when they see the Krib in their fish bubble.
Yeah that seems to be a good idea.
I actually wanted to get a kribensis. So I went to my most trusted LFS last week and asked them. They didn't have kribensis as of now.
So I ordered them to get a pair of kribensis or 2 pairs of rams. I gave the selection chance to him as he knew about my tank, I am sure he will get the better one for my tank. Hopefully he brings me a kribensis pair(I will be happy with rams too).
My rainbow shark is very peaceful as of now. I am ready to give up on it itfsome glitch occurs.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom