Angel Fish died. Other Angel Fish worsening in health

mimianderson

Emergency template:
Water parameters today:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Ph 7.4
Have been doing regular water changes as nitrites found earlier in week and a new tank (I am being forced to do in fish cycling due to very bad initial advice).
Last Wednesday I found one of my Angel Fish (had a pair) dead by the filter. The other Angel was there but swam out when I moved the filter. I am a very new fish keeper and have made lots of mistakes already with new tank set up. I thought the issue was nitrites but now now so sure. Nitrites tested 0.5ppm on Thursday and Friday, then down to 0.25ppm on Saturday and 0ppm today. I did regular water changes once noticed the nitrites and also applied marine salt, bacteria top up and an antibacterial.
I am struggilng watching my other Angel suffer and have read about humane euthanasia so trying to get clove oil tomorrow (otherwise some already on order arriving Tuesday). For those of you experienced with Angel Fish, what do you think might be the issue here. Could the Angel that has already died have had the Aids virus that I have read about?
The deceased Angel was fine when I got her into tank, then started to hang about low down in tank (there as some pushing and shoving from other Angel). Two days before she died, she was hanging about in coral but was swimming ok before I found her in the filter.
My remaining Angel has slowly deteriorated in health and is now on the ground in the corner of the tank. Cannot bear to watch suffering so going ahead with euthanasia as quickly as I can.
My worry is for remaining fish -tetras and the clown fish pleco which seem in really good health just now.
Any thoughts really appreciated. Perhaps I have stressed the Angel fish out too much?

SixThreeOh

HIV can't be transmitted to fish; therefore, your fish didn't die to an AIDS related illness. You probably had an ammonia or nitrite spike.

Upvote 0

mimianderson

Many Thanks for this. Yes, this is probably the cause. In your opinion would you euthanise the fish or try and give it a chance to recover if I can keep nitrite and Ammonia at 0ppm with regular water changes? I hate seeing animals suffer and feel guilty as poorly advised regarding new tank syndrome when first purchasing fish.

Upvote 0

SixThreeOh

How big is the tank? How often are you feeding? How much water are you changing a day?

Upvote 0

mimianderson

HIV can't be transmitted to fish; therefore, your fish didn't die to an AIDS related illness. You probably had an ammonia or nitrite spike.
Many Thanks for this. Yes, this is probably the cause. In your opinion would you euthanise the fish or try and give it a chance to recover if I can keep nitrite and Ammonia at 0ppm with regular water changes? I hate seeing animals suffer and feel guilty as poorly advised regarding new tank syndrome when first purchasing fish.
How big is the tank? How often are you feeding? How much water are you changing a day?
105 litres (gap at top) so about 90 litres water. Feeding once a day. Currently changing 20-30% a day to deal with ammonia spike (at 1ppm) and got both down to 0ppm today. I'm not sure other fish will survive or not. Have read instructions on in fish cycling. Ideally would have been doing fishless cycling if I had gone to the right pet store first time around!
105 litres (gap at top) so about 90 litres water. Feeding once a day. Currently changing 20-30% a day to deal with ammonia spike (at 1ppm) and got both down to 0ppm today. I'm not sure other fish will survive or not. Have read instructions on in fish cycling. Ideally would have been doing fishless cycling if I had gone to the right pet store first time around!

Upvote 0

SixThreeOh

I'd change 75% a day. Feed every other day. If you have a local fish club, see if you can get some seeded media from one of the members.

Upvote 0

mimianderson

thanks. Just to add I have 5 remaining tetra and a clown striped pleco which seem absolutely fine at the moment. I read that Angels more susceptible to nitrites.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I think you were thinking of HITH disease. Hole In The Head.
Just keep up with water changes, and the rest of your fish should be fine. Your test kit will tell you when things are rising and you should do a 50% or more water change. Determine how much more by what your numbers are. Ammonia and Nitrites are what you want to be testing most right now. They are the most deadly to your fish.

Upvote 0

mimianderson

I'd change 75% a day. Feed every other day. If you have a local fish club, see if you can get some seeded media from one of the members.
Thanks. Fed today so fast tomorrow. I picked up some seeded media from local garden centre. They are completely clueless about fish but were happy to give me some media which I have stuck in the 2 filters I have running. Local fish store (guy has owned fish for 30 years, very experienced but unfortunately NOT HELPFUL as I did not buy from him -did not know he existed when purchasing) suggested 30% daily change. This has got my nitrite down to 0% so might be worth continuing with this? Why do you suggest 75% Could that cause fish extra stress? Sorry, a real beginner and just trying to save my fish from my horrible mistake re not cycling tank property to begin with!
I think you were thinking of HITH disease. Hole In The Head.
Just keep up with water changes, and the rest of your fish should be fine. Your test kit will tell you when things are rising and you should do a 50% or more water change. Determine how much more by what your numbers are. Ammonia and Nitrites are what you want to be testing most right now. They are the most deadly to your fish.
thank you. I have set up another thread to ask if more humane to euthanise my Angel which I believe has brown blood poisoning. Cannot rise to surface now, dragging on bottom, now behind the filter. May not survive the night. I am extremely cut up about this and feel sorry for my kids as the fish were my son's birthday present (in hindsight really bad idea as I had not researched it enough).

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Angelfish
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
  • Question
  • SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Angelfish
Replies