angel fish birds and bees

fleo

Reaction score
Hello All....
We inherited a fish tank, (I am guessing 25-30 gallon). It came all set up.(Given to us by the previous owners of the home we bought). Now, that being said, we have two angel fish, two sail fin mollies, a pleco, and a 28 cent goldfish from Walmart that belongs to my son and was brought with us. (living far longer than I ever thought!)

This morning, I noticed that the orange angel fish seems to have something protruding from his/her bottom. I did a little research and found out this is the papilla. Ok, fine. Is this the boy or the girl? Are we going to have baby angels? Do I need another tank? What happens if we leave them where they are? Will the Walmart goldfish eat the babies? Will the mollies? 
I just want to do the right thing! Thanks! Fleo

PS!!! OK, THE ORANGE ANGELFISH HAS JUST LAID EGGS ON THE SIDE OF A FILTER!!!

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
8) That is way cool that your angel is laying eggs. I think all of the other fish will eat the eggs though, including the angel fish. I can't answer your main questions, but I do know that the goldfish should not be in with the others as they have different needs. Goldfish are cool water fish and the others are warm water fish. Niether one does well in the temperature suitable for the other. Also, goldfish have a lot of waste and make it more difficult to keep the tank clean. Hope this helps some.

CherryRose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The protruding tube under the belly of the Angelfish, is a breeding tube Males have a pointed breeding tube and females have rounded breeding tubes. You said you have 2 Angels in there. The other Angel is probably a male. A male will follow the female as she lays the eggs, and he'll be fertilizing them with his sperm (fish sperm is called "milt"). So, observe your two Angels to see if they're a mated pair. I also have a breeding pair of Angelfish and they lay eggs every 3 weeks or so. The eggs get eaten by the parents or by other fish. If you want the eggs to survive, you must have the eggs in a separate tank either with or without the parents (in which case you'd have to raise them yourself).

By the way, a Pleco is too large a fish for a 25 - 30 gallon tank. Plecos should be kept in at least 75 - 80 gallons of water. Goldfish is a coldwater fish, and it should not be kept with tropical fish such as Angelfish. CherryRose is right on. I am sorry to say this but your tank is overstocked, mainly because of the Pleco and the Goldfish.

fleo

Reaction score
Well, we came home yesterday afternoon and found that one of the mollies was dead. Since what I read indicates that the angels are very agressive, I guess its safe to assume that they had something to do with it.
THEN, we woke up this morning to find that the the angels had eaten their eggs.
The gold fish is in another tank now. Smaller but all his own. I put the mollie with him for safety whilst the eggs were there. I am guessing that I can put her back a little later today.

As for the pleco, he is just hanging out in his ususal spot in his cave. So we wait for more eggs huh?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom