Angel Fish and Tetra's - do they mix?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by joules, Apr 22, 2006.

1. joulesNew MemberMember

I would love to add 2 angel fish to my tank but was unsure if they would be ok with 7 glowlight tetras and 3 strawberry tetras?

I know the tetras are characins and the angel fish are cichlids, I didn't know if they could be put in the same tank......I am still so new at all of this stuff so I thought I'd better ask?

thanks for anyones help...

Julie :)

2. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Glowlights are probably too small to be with Angels--they'd become lunch. :p
    Um, I think strawberry tetras are dyed...this is an extremely inhumane practice in which they drop the fish in chemicals that burn off their slime coat, put them in a dye, and then drop them in more chemicals that are supposed to stimulate their slime coat to come back. :mad: I think like 90% of fish who go through this die during or soon after the process. The ones who survive are weakened as=nd more suseptable to disease. It is an awful thing they do just to make money. :mad: :mad: :'( :'( So...DON"T BUY THEM!! And if you already have some, don't buy any more!!

3. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

4. joulesNew MemberMember

I do know about the painted fish - just not until after I had already purchased them of course!!!! :-[

As soon as I realized I swore I would never buy anymore again - this is such a sick practice!! :eek:

Are the angels an agressive fish, would they really eat the glowlights? ???

julie

5. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

Angelfish will only eat fish small enough to fit in their mouths.

6. joulesNew MemberMember

???So would they be ok?

Thanks,

Julie

7. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I'm glad you feel that way about dyed fish.
    Angels are not that aggressive except when spawning, but they will eat anything they see as food just out of instinct. They can get very large, while Glowlights stay at only 1.5 inches. It is likely they would eventually get eaten. So i wouldn't risk it.

8. joulesNew MemberMember

???I have a 20 gal tank.....what other type of fish could I put with the 7 glowlights and the 3 strawberry tetras? I would like to add more color to the tank........ :)

9. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Well, what other fish do you like?

10. joulesNew MemberMember

I'm not sure what I can put in with what I have, thats why I'm asking......what about guppies??? :) ???

11. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Guppies should be fine. Did you want to breed them or not?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice