Angel fish and gouramis 20 Gallon Tank

1. learninmo Member Member

do i dare place a couple of angelfish with a couple of dwarf gouramis? 20 gal long. :;juggle

2. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I'm not even sure about the compatabilty of DG's and Angelfish, but a 20 long is to short for angelfish and DG's do not get along with each other. You might be able to get away with two DG's in a much larger tank where the can set up their own territories.

3. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed, a 20 isnt going to be big enough, and i have seen personally Dg and angles not get a long in a 75 gallon tank. Dg are solitary they are happiest when there are np other gourami in the tank and will eventually fight with any other DG in the tank with them, either killing it or causing it to hide.

4. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Without wanting to be unfair to the poster I would liken this scenario to putting four boxers in the ring together.

Angels have always been best as singles for me (I have kept many).

I currently have one in a 40 uk gallon cube with a Rainbow Shark which has turned out to be a good companion so far. They grew up together. Though they are competitive with one another for the food I am certain that they keep life interesting for each other.

The 40 gallon is just big enough I feel due to the height and the dense plant cover for refuge (the shark sometimes needs to get away and chill).

[​IMG]

5. learninmo Member Member

not offended at all, i'm asking cause i need the reality :;juggle are there any DG size fish that I can put 5-6 together in a 20g, along with some tetras or platys probably ?

6. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Not really, there are honey gourami, which are the DGs peaceful twins, they would do fine as 2-3 in the 20. With maybe 6-8 tetra or other small schooling fish.

7. insanejim69 Initiate Member

Bueno Aires Tetras grow around the same size as DG's ..... I have 4 BA Tetras and they are very active ...... and they don't bother any of my other fish (2 angels, a betta, blue gourami, 9 danios, 4 platys and 8 black phantom tetras) :)

James

:)

8. Shine Well Known Member Member

You could try female platies or swordtails if you are looking for size and colour. I have a female platy that is at least 2.5 inches, and swords get even bigger. They aren't schooling fish, and aren't aggressive in groups the way that DGs are... at least so long as you get all females (all males often results in harassment)

9. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I agree with Shine.

I keep female Platies together and they get on great. I find Platies more gentle than Swordtails but Swordtails are bigger and come in lovely colours. However, I haven't yet kept a group of female Swordtails. Also, there are some nice coloured female guppies and mine get on great together, though they are smaller. But are they what you like?

Something different but not as colourful would be Cory Cats which are real charmers - so loveable.