Angel Fish And Air Stones?

Colleen B
60g planted tank with angels... I'm running a cascade 1000 that doesn't break the surface water. Concerned about low oxygen so thought about an air stone, but then I worry about creating too much movement for the angels. Plus it's planted.....so.... thoughts?

angelcraze
Can you point the output flow upward? It would create a ripple. Or lower the water level a bit? How deep/high is a 60g?

I was considering adding an airstone to my 120 gallon (26"high) planted with angelfish for that same reason. I can't see it hurting anything. Unless you are injecting co2. The airstone would have less flow then your canister, so if they're ok with that, they'd be ok with an airstone.

My filter output is above the water line and it is pointed slightly down pushing the water along the surface and down (sectioned output tube). I still want to add an airstone.

Colleen B
I have the output in the position that it is to reduce flow on the angels. It ripples, but doesn't break the surface water which I thought was the only way to create gas exchange..A ripple is effective as well? Hmmm...maybe I'll just get a small air pump.

It's about 27 in high I think

Can you point the output flow upward? It would create a ripple. Or lower the water level a bit? How deep/high is a 60g?

I was considering adding an airstone to my 120 gallon (26"high) planted with angelfish for that same reason. I can't see it hurting anything. Unless you are injecting co2. The airstone would have less flow then your canister, so if they're ok with that, they'd be ok with an airstone.

My filter output is above the water line and it is pointed slightly down pushing the water along the surface and down (sectioned output tube). I still want to add an airstone.
You seem to know your angels. Quick question for ya. I have 5 juveniles in a 60 gallon. Theyre dime to nickel sized. Someone on here told me I was over stocked on angels for a 60. I was under the impression of 10 gallon per angel until agressiveness arises, then I may have to separate them. What do you think?

bizaliz3
Angels are not so weak that they can't handle a bit of flow and some bubbles. I have seen people have this concern a lot lately....like people are thinking Angels are like bettas or something. Adult and young adult angels are just fine with a nice water fall from HOB filters and air stones and all that.

Yours are very very small and young though. Heck, at dime sized, they should still be being fed Baby brine shrimp as a big part of their diet.

At that size they could struggle with too much flow from a strong filter waterfall I suppose, but the bubbles from an air stone will do nothing to hinder them. And your tank is large enough, that there should be plenty of spots without much movement that they can sit in if they are feeling too much water movement or something.

I raise angels, I have a 46gallon tank full of pea-sized angels right now. There is a sponge filter blowing lots of bobbles and a very large HOB filter that has two waterfalls coming out of it. The angels are just fine. They stay away from the waterfall and they actually enjoy the bubbles.

As for long term, your tank isn't really big enough for 5 full grown adult angels. You will almost definitely face some serious aggression issues when they reach sexual maturity. So just be prepared to likely have to rehome 1 or 3 later down the road. Lots of people start out with groups of young angels like this....and they enjoy them for many months, and then when the angels reach adulthood and the aggression begins, the they choose their favorites (or the ones who get along best) and rehome the rest.

angelcraze
I have the output in the position that it is to reduce flow on the angels. It ripples, but doesn't break the surface water which I thought was the only way to create gas exchange..A ripple is effective as well? Hmmm...maybe I'll just get a small air pump.

It's about 27 in high I think
I read a ripple was effective, and before I moved the output, it was underneath the water to keep it quiet. But then I started worrying about o2 exchange like you are. I believe that more exchange would happen with water flowing into the tank than a bubbler where the bubbles float straight up and out into the atmosphere. Just my thought. But I think it's a good idea to add a small airstone in a deep tank. It would help move water from the bottom to the top (vertically) instead of across (horizontally) from your filter. FYI deep tanks are perfect for angels

I always had a group of young angels, let them pair off and rehomed/moved others. I was breeding angels at that time, so I was looking for strong pair bonds. That method is normal protocol for keeping more than one angel. You are not overstocked at all at the moment as bizaliz3 mentioned. Watch your angel's behavior as they get close to the 8 month mark. When two hang around eachother, swim together, start to defend a territory, they are pairing off. You may notice them 'date' first, they might lip lock and push, testing eachother's parental strength, but I don't notice this myself with a group of angels.

Colleen B
I new I just had to have angels with a tank so deep! I'm considering selling any babies I may have, but at the moment I know nothing about that!

Ideally I'd like to keep all five, but that means I'll need a fourth fish tank.......... we'll see what the future holds I suppose

When approximating size (dime, nickel, etc) is it just based on body size or fins included?

angelcraze
I new I just had to have angels with a tank so deep! I'm considering selling any babies I may have, but at the moment I know nothing about that!

Ideally I'd like to keep all five, but that means I'll need a fourth fish tank.......... we'll see what the future holds I suppose

When approximating size (dime, nickel, etc) is it just based on body size or fins included?

Good luck if you decide to raise the babies! It's really amazing to watch the parents spawn and hopefully care for the fry. I have 'stolen' the fry most of the time to grow out artificially because my pairs eventually will eat them. It's amazing to watch as the babies grow too, it's almost addicting lol.

The sizing is body size, not including fins. Adding fins really means nothing because of the veil tail gene. The same age standard fin angel would be much smaller than a veil tail.

Colleen B
Alright, that's what I thought. Thanks.

IF I get babies, I'll likely try to raise them and sell them. What size tank is large enough for the fry until they're able to be sold or given away?

bizaliz3

Well......if you have any intention of breeding angels, you will need a 4th, 5th and 6th tank.

Colleen B
Well......if you have any intention of breeding angels, you will need a 4th, 5th and 6th tank.
I would only keep one breeding pair if I ended up breeding at all. Then I'd just need a tank for the fry.

bizaliz3
I would only keep one breeding pair if I ended up breeding at all. Then I'd just need a tank for the fry.

You will need something 40 gallon or larger for the fry. Will you be able to accommodate that?

And there is no question about it, you have 5 angels, you WILL end up with AT LEAST one breeding pair. No doubt.

Colleen B
Yeah, probably, if need be. We'll see. Nothing is set in stone yet. These fish have only been with me about a week or 2.

Is it possible to keep 2 pairs in a 60 and rehome the 5th?

Here are my 5 angels. The first is the smallest and doesn't seem to be growing as quickly as the others. The third is my favorite, such a beautiful yellow color!

I know I have 2 koi and what I think is a marbled veil (4). Do you know the type of the others?
20180816_114926.jpg
20180816_114917.jpg
20180816_114836.jpg
20180816_114905.jpg
Screenshot_20180817-135325.jpg

bizaliz3
Is it possible to keep 2 pairs in a 60 and rehome the 5th?

2 breeding pairs in one tank is hit-or-miss. How long is your 60?

Colleen B
48.5 L x 25 H x 12.75 D

bizaliz3
48.5 L x 25 H x 12.75 D

So it is 4 feet long. That is good.
I have kept two breeding pairs in my 55 which is also 4 feet long. Some pairs work, some don't. It depends on how protective they are. So again, it becomes trial and error. And pairs get divorces over time as well. So my 55 has had like a dozen different pairs in it over the last few years. Luckily I have 18 tanks, so I can shuffle the fish around when they get sick of each other. I do partner swaps all the time, and tank swaps.

Keeping multiple angels is a constant challenge.

You would need a very very heavily planted tank with lots of sightline breaks in order to keep two pairs together. And even then, it may not work.

Colleen B
So it is 4 feet long. That is good.
I have kept two breeding pairs in my 55 which is also 4 feet long. Some pairs work, some don't. It depends on how protective they are. So again, it becomes trial and error. And pairs get divorces over time as well. So my 55 has had like a dozen different pairs in it over the last few years. Luckily I have 18 tanks, so I can shuffle the fish around when they get sick of each other. I do partner swaps all the time, and tank swaps.

Keeping multiple angels is a constant challenge.

You would need a very very heavily planted tank with lots of sightline breaks in order to keep two pairs together. And even then, it may not work.

18 tanks....wow. What do you keep other than angels? My big kahuna is my green severum. Love that thing. Thinking about getting him a girlfriend.

I think only time will tell on my angel journey. I'm really excited to see which fish pair up...

bizaliz3
18 tanks....wow. What do you keep other than angels? My big kahuna is my green severum. Love that thing. Thinking about getting him a girlfriend.

I think only time will tell on my angel journey. I'm really excited to see which fish pair up...

I am obsessed with breeding angelfish. So I have lots of tanks for growing out babies, or separating breeding pairs to force the pairs I want.
I also breed Yellow blue eye BN plecos.

Colleen B
I am obsessed with breeding angelfish. So I have lots of tanks for growing out babies, or separating breeding pairs to force the pairs I want.
I also breed Yellow blue eye BN plecos.

Is it difficult to find buyers for the babies? Do you sell them locally or online? I'm totally up for the adventure of breeding if my angelfish have that in the cards for me, but I don't know anything about it yet. Lots of research to be done.

angelcraze
Here are my 5 angels. The first is the smallest and doesn't seem to be growing as quickly as the others. The third is my favorite, such a beautiful yellow color!

I know I have 2 koi and what I think is a marbled veil (4). Do you know the type of the others?View attachment 468145View attachment 468146View attachment 468147View attachment 468149View attachment 468150
Your favorite is a gold marble, not sure about the little black spots though. Koi will have clear dorsals while gold marble has horizontal striations.

Colleen B
Your favorite is a gold marble, not sure about the little black spots though. Koi will have clear dorsals while gold marble has horizontal striations.
Thanks!

Mcasella
You have two koi (first and second pics), a gold marble (third pic), dark gold marble (fourth pic), and the last is another dark gold marble (dark meaning the amount of marbling not saying the gold coloring is darker).

Some angels get along better than others, sometimes you get juveniles that are aggressive (like Shark Bite) towards other angels even when they are tiny. I have a pair that the male of went and killed three angels before I could get a tank freed up to get them shuffled - the female of that pair isn't aggressive towards other angels or fish in general.

Colleen B
You have two koi (first and second pics), a gold marble (third pic), dark gold marble (fourth pic), and the last is another dark gold marble (dark meaning the amount of marbling not saying the gold coloring is darker).

Some angels get along better than others, sometimes you get juveniles that are aggressive (like Shark Bite) towards other angels even when they are tiny. I have a pair that the male of went and killed three angels before I could get a tank freed up to get them shuffled - the female of that pair isn't aggressive towards other angels or fish in general.
Thank you!! I chose them all at random, I'm surprised I ended up with 3 gold marbles. The mostly black one didn't have any yellow when I got it 2 weeks ago. It's really starting to color up. No way to know the sex for sure until breeding tubes appear, correct?

Mcasella
Thank you!! I chose them all at random, I'm surprised I ended up with 3 gold marbles. The mostly black one didn't have any yellow when I got it 2 weeks ago. It's really starting to color up. No way to know the sex for sure until breeding tubes appear, correct?
They will be around 2 inches in diameter (body only) before they start displaying breeding tubes, males generally display them earlier than females, but 8-9 months old is when they start becoming mature enough to breed.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
John58ford
Replies
Views
AltantaDude
Replies
Views
KingOscar
Replies
Views