Angel Fish 40g Breeder 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by zfrabutt, Feb 12, 2019.

1. zfrabutt

zfrabuttNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    In the near future I’m looking to create a community tank. I want to have two angel fish in the tank. I was wondering, is a 40G breeder too short for a fully grown angelfish? Also, what schooling fish would do well in a community tank with angelfish? I was thinking about doing some type of Corydoras and another schooling fish. Any stocking suggestions?

2. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,152
    Experience:
    5 years
    Stocking idea:
    2 angelfish
    6 emerald cory's
    1-2 bn plecos
    15-20 neon tetras
    There's some room leftover, but I'm not sure what else you want, or exactly how much room is left

3. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,484
    Experience:
    2 years
    40 Breeder is 16" tall. depends on which variety of angel, some are tall, and some are very tall.

4. OP
    OP
    zfrabutt

zfrabuttNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Do you think that the angelfish will do alright with the neon tetras once they’re fully grown? I feel like they’re small enough to turn into food after the angels grow.

5. OP
    OP
    zfrabutt

zfrabuttNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Do you know which angelfish migh not grow as tall?

6. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,152
    Experience:
    5 years
    It's 50/50. If it's not worth the risk go with barbs or a bigger tetra
    @bizaliz3 @angelcraze

7. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,338
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Honestly I say minimum 18" depth for angelfish. I just don't feel they'd be able to fully display in that height. Idk, it's ok I suppose, just not optimal. Your choice.

As far as a shorter angel, the leopoldi angels are smallest. A heads up though, if you keep two angels together, it might be difficult to keep them from fighting unless they are a pair. Even then, they might still fight and might lay eggs and defend them.

Angelfish are more docile cichlids that can be kept with community fish that are large enough not to become food, but are still ciclids. No one can know how a cichlid will act.

I keep only 1 pair in my 33g tanks, but I would maybe go for med sized tetras like red or black phantom, flame, lemon.

8. OP
    OP
    zfrabutt

zfrabuttNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it. If is going to be a little small for them then I’ll probably defer to building a tank around Pearl Gouramis. I’ll just wait until I can get a taller tank before I try and tackle angelfish.

9. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,338
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That is a good responsible plan. It's not like it's not doable, I just think pearl gourami or other would be way better suited for a 40g breeder. I really like gouramis and a lot of Asian plants too, but I have a lot of angelfish already, and don't feel they mix well....
    Anyway, it means a lot coming from me, I am and angelfish nut haha.

Become a Fishlore Member