Angel fin rot. Please help me

  • Thread starter

crazy_deeps279

New Member
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Points
151
i bought 4 new angel with long fins. when i brought them home i found one have some fin rot problem and now after 4 days i found the problem is increased and her fins are now approximately 60% rot. can any one help me? which kind of medicine should i use? is this decease is transferable to other fish too? is her fins can grow again? please HELP!!!! ???

Deeps
 

Jimold

Well Known Member
Messages
1,072
Reaction score
7
Points
206
go to the pet store, look for a fin rot medacine. I'm pretty sure it's tetracycline. Mine had it, they cleared up in about a week.
Bad news, it can spread to your other fish
Good news, once it's cleared up, their fins will grow back.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

crazy_deeps279

New Member
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Points
151
Jim said:
go to the pet store, look for a fin rot medacine.  I'm pretty sure it's tetracycline.  Mine had it, they cleared up in about a week. 
Bad news, it can spread to your other fish
Good news, once it's cleared up, their fins will grow back.
Thank you
Really appreciated
 

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
4
Points
198
Stress of any kind can contribute to fin rot. What size is your tank? Did you put them in with other fish that might be harassing them? Or is your tank fully cycled, with the ammonia and nitrite 0 and the nitrate 5 or less? In addition to medication you will want to do 50 % water changes every day, if the tests are higher than this, until they have healed. Also, a well balanced diet supplementing with bloodworms and brine shrimp every day or every other day to help grow those fins strong, will help. Best of Luck

Fish in the Frozen North 8)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

crazy_deeps279

New Member
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Points
151
susitna-flower said:
  Stress of any kind can contribute to fin rot. What size is your tank?  Did you put them in with other fish that might be harassing them?  Or is your tank fully cycled, with the ammonia and nitrite 0 and the nitrate 5 or less?  In addition to medication you will want to do 50 % water changes every day, if the tests are higher than this, until they have healed.   Also,  a well balanced diet supplementing with bloodworms and brine shrimp every day or every other day to help grow those fins strong, will help.   Best of Luck 

Fish in the Frozen North  8)
thank you. really appreciated
 

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
4
Points
198
Deeps, if you can answer some of my questions we will have a better idea of how to help you. The more detail you give on your tanks, the more people will also jump in and give their advice. Our mission here is to help you have a really successful experience with your lovely angle fish.

Fish in the Frozen North 8)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

crazy_deeps279

New Member
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Points
151
susitna-flower said:
  Deeps, if you can answer some of my questions we will have a better idea of how to help you.  The more detail you give on your tanks, the more people will also jump in and give their advice.   Our mission here is to help you have a really successful experience with your lovely angle fish.

Fish in the Frozen North  8)
thanx for you help. really appriciated. my tank size is 30 gallon. i have gold fish, tiger sharks and angel fish in it. my tank water quality is good. and after seeing that fin rot i am doing frequent water change on daily basis. i think my lovely angel got that problem from pet shop only. rite now i am feeding them freezed worms cubes, pellet food and brine shrimp.
Can you tell me in how many days i can find inmprovement in my fish.?
and i have found that one of my angel is very aggresive to other three angels?
can u tell me why?

Deeps
 

Neville

Well Known Member
Messages
1,225
Reaction score
8
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
hi deeps!! i'm Neville. that's Indian flag, right? u r from India!! i'm from Bangladesh, so we r both Asians and we r neighbours. welcome to fishlore. hmmm....tiger sharks....do u mean irridecent shark? well, they grow up to 3 feet i think, don't think it's the right choice for a 30 gallon tank. and i don't think it is safe to keep goldfish with angels; as goldfish r often full of diseases that will affect your angels.

angels r territorial and they may become aggressive to each other if they r crowded and during feeding time.
 

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
4
Points
198
OK I can see two problems right off.   #1:   Your tank is overcrowded.   This is part of why the angles could be nipping.   They also naturally will do this in establishing their territories, or if they are pairing up.   You need to be careful not to have sharp things in the tank they can get hurt on, but you do need to have plants, or rocks that divide the tank so the fish have things to help them  get away from each other.  
 To properly calculate the correct number of fish, research how big your fish will grow.  Add all the lengths of all fish as they will be as adults, and you should allow 1 inch per gallon of tank.   You didn't say how many sharks you have or how many gold fish, but the angles alone are enough for a 30 gallon tank.   So you need to get a larger tank, or another one of some size to house the other fish.

#2:  The second problem is that the sharks and angles have different water temperature requirements than the goldfish.   Goldfish are cool water fish.   They do best around 40-70 degrees F.   Angles on the other hand should be kept at 74-84F    The fins will be less of a problem with the warmer end of their temperature range.
Hope this helps.

Fish in the Frozen North  8)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

crazy_deeps279

New Member
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Points
151
Neville said:
hi deeps!! i'm Neville. that's Indian flag, right? u r from India!! i'm from Bangladesh, so we r both Asians and we r neighbours. welcome to fishlore. hmmm....tiger sharks....do u mean irridecent shark? well, they grow up to 3 feet i think, don't think it's the right choice for a 30 gallon tank. and i don't think it is safe to keep goldfish with angels; as goldfish r often full of diseases that will affect your angels.

angels r territorial and they may become aggressive to each other if they r crowded and during feeding time.
hi neville. ya i am from india. thanx for replying really appriciated. in one or two days i vll buy a new large tank and try to seprate them.ya i knw sharks grows upto 2.5 to 3 feet but rite nw my sharks are only 4-5 inches long. i vl keep them sepratelly. thanx again
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

crazy_deeps279

New Member
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Points
151
susitna-flower said:
OK I can see two problems right off.   #1:   Your tank is overcrowded.   This is part of why the angles could be nipping.   They also naturally will do this in establishing their territories, or if they are pairing up.   You need to be careful not to have sharp things in the tank they can get hurt on, but you do need to have plants, or rocks that divide the tank so the fish have things to help them  get away from each other.  
 To properly calculate the correct number of fish, research how big your fish will grow.  Add all the lengths of all fish as they will be as adults, and you should allow 1 inch per gallon of tank.   You didn't say how many sharks you have or how many gold fish, but the angles alone are enough for a 30 gallon tank.   So you need to get a larger tank, or another one of some size to house the other fish.

#2:  The second problem is that the sharks and angles have different water temperature requirements than the goldfish.   Goldfish are cool water fish.   They do best around 40-70 degrees F.   Angles on the other hand should be kept at 74-84F    The fins will be less of a problem with the warmer end of their temperature range.
Hope this helps.

Fish in the Frozen North  8)
hi susitna thanx for giving me such a important information about the tempretures requirements of fish. as i am going to buy a new tank i vll make sure i can provide the right tempreture to my fish.
thank you
 

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
4
Points
198
Deeps, the information on fish requirements can be found at the link at the top of this page FishLore.com: Tropical Fish Information. Just click on it, and a list of fish is on the right hand side of the page that opens up. Click on any one of those and the fish profile is available, which will tell the temperature and other requirements of fish. You can use this to plan ahead. Good Luck

Fish in the Frozen North 8)
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom