Angel Eggs?

Matthew RJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi all,

A few questions:

Let's start with the ID ... are these angel eggs? My fear is snails (I had a few of those kicking around, hitch hiked on a plant I guess). But my guess might be angel eggs - since the 2 angels are hanging around the amazon swor leaf.

Seconly - what now? I suspect they'll get eaten. How do I clean the tank without disturbing the leaf & eggs? If any do survive, how many angels could I end up with from this batch? Totally amazed and lost and confused. Going to start my search to see what others have said elsewhere on this forum about eggs.

Thanks for the help, this site rocks

PS (any photography hints on how to take a better tank pic? Thought I saw that somewhere on this site once before too, but can't find it.)

Attachments

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are Angel eggs but they look like they aren't fertilized. They should look like beige clear color. Not solid white. If they are white they need to be pulled by you or the parents should eat them.

Matthew RJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There are 2 angels, beats me if it's M & F though.

How long before they would fertilize?

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It should be done right after the female lay the eggs. If the eggs turn white after 24hrs they weren't never fertilized by the male. It takes several times of spawning before the pair gets it right.

Matthew RJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the help! Never seen it before in the tank, I'll certainly watch for it again.

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They should look like this. The white ones are not fertilized eggs.

Attachments

Matthew RJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You've obviously seen this more ...from what I've read either:
1) do nothing & hope for the best
2) move all the other fish
3) move mom & dad & eggs
4) move only eggs.

What's been your experience with angel eggs?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Photography tips~ get reeeeeeally far away and zoom waaaaaay in. if you have a sports setting, try that too. trial and error is the best way to figure it out, every camera is different. i have a crapy 2nd Generation Kodak Easy Share, so that what works best for me. sadly tho, my cell phone has been taking better pics, so i've just been useing that.

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mattew I breed Angels along some other types of fish and on my experience I take the eggs out. Usually the female lay the eggs on a leaf, but as you can see on the picture this female lay eggs on the side of a powerhead. If I can remove the surface where the eggs are I put them on a small tank with a sponge filter and a air stone making sure the eggs have a soft water flow on them. Is very important that any eggs that turn white are taken out since leaving them will cause fungus and it will spread to the good eggs and before you know it you lost all your eggs. Hope this help. My breeding pairs don't like no one to get close to the tank and even to feed the fish they hate that and they eat the eggs. So I choose to take them out.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
they do look fertilized to me and its just the camera shots ..pic 1 and 2 is of your male so there's one in there....mom and dad will pick off the white ones ....navy gave great advice for stealing the eggs...if you decide to leave them, make sure they have a light source on the tank 24/7 or mom and dad will both eat them...are there other fish in with them? I don't even see angels listed in your info when I take fishy pics, I have to have it on macro settings (the lil flower icon should be on)

Matthew RJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I left the eggs and they were all gone in 24 hours. Never seen it before but I hope to see it again! Better luck next time.

Thanks for all the tips

Matthew RJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So a while after this thread, I had a tank crash. Soap killed almost everything. I learned something about angels though. One outlived all the other fish. The other was starting to go sideways. I thought this angel was done, but I moved it to the emergency tank just in case.

I've never seen a fish recover from a loss of balance. At the LFS they said angels will go sideways under stress, and recover once the problem is removed.

They sat in the emergency tank as I cleaned the main tank. Got everything back together, new gravel etc. Angels twice now have laid eggs in the restored tank! Of course I've yet to figure out what to do with them, so nature is taking its course. But sometime I'd like to save a couple and see some baby angels.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads