Angel Ate My Newbies!?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by sylviepld, Apr 18, 2017.

1. sylviepld

sylviepld Valued Member Member

Didn't know where to post this. Anyway, I have a full grown Koi Angel in my tank (about 6 inches in diameter). He can be a bit of a bully but all my fish are faster than he is. Yesterday I bought 6 juvenile Rummy Nose to add to my school. They were pretty small and slim about 1.5 inches long. This morning I only have three of the new ones left and I can't find any little corpses anywhere. Believe me I have really looked for them. The only thing I can think of is that Sunny (my Angel) ate them! What do you think? Is it possible for my Angel to have eaten them?

2. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Yep. Totally possible. It happened to me too :-(

I didn't confirm it until I found one with its back end eaten off.... but was still breathing :-( then I knew they were being caught and eaten ALIVE and not dying and THEN being eaten...or simply disappearing

Rummynoses are super quick fish....but a big giant angel can catch them off guard and get a bite!!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  3. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Yes. Remember Angelfish will eat anything that they can catch.

Just because they are fast fish doesn't necessary mean they are safe, they live in a small enclose area. Can you imagine running from a lion in a small room?

4. OP
    OP
    sylviepld

Yikes! That's kinda gross!

You have a point there. I did find one more hiding in the plants but two are still MIA.

5. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

The belly will be swollen if a large meal has been eaten. This is what Angels are designed to do and how they survive in the wild.

Angels suck their prey in with a powerful intake. Getting close enough is easy in the dark. Bump and suck.

But new fish can be fragile, falter or die and then be eaten too.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  6. OP
    OP
    sylviepld

And I thought that leaving the lights off would give them a better chance to acclimate. It didn't seem like he had a swollen stomach but he may have gotten them during the night.

7. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I agree dim light rather than harsh bright light can help but darkness may not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice