Angel aggression

bettafanatic
Hey all I have a 75g that houses an angel, 3 dwarf gouromis, a few cherry barbs, neons, cories and siamese algae eaters. The last couple weeks my angel has gone on.an aggressive rampage and has killed 5 fish so far and has been relentless on attacking everything. I was always under the impression angels were good for community tanks and only get aggressive if they pair off. What can I do to ease rhe aggression? Do they need to be kept alone once mature? It is heavily planted, temp 78 parameter 0,0,10.

Also I've only had this angel a few months. She came from a previous owner who kept her in a 29g unheated tank with a large goldfish, pleco and white skirts and she came with the bent dorsal. Would this contribute to her aggression? She wasn't aggressive until now though.

fallfever
Just out of curiosity, which fish did he go after? Angelfish are cichlids and notoriously unpredictable, but usually do well alone with other fish. You can do the obvious like rearranging the decor and putting the angel in timeout but I've never had to keep one alone. If he is attacking all of the fish he may see the tank as his territory and reorienting him may do the trick.

bettafanatic
fallfever said:
Just out of curiosity, which fish did he go after? Angelfish are cichlids and notoriously unpredictable, but usually do well alone with other fish. You can do the obvious like rearranging the decor and putting the angel in timeout but I've never had to keep one alone. If he is attacking all of the fish he may see the tank as his territory and reorienting him may do the trick.
She is attacking all the fish. Even wedging on her side to go under smaller plants to attack fish that are hiding from her. I really can't rearrange much without uprooting all my plants either as it is heavily planted with live plants. I have even more plants arriving tomorrow so maybe that will help? The only things I can find on the internet are when they hit maturity they will get aggressive if there are 2 males or pair off to spawn but my angel is the only angel in the tank. I've inspected her too to see if maybe she was sick but nothing is standing out. No signs of injury or illness whatsoever.
fallfever said:
How do you do timeouts?

fallfever
If you have a place to keep her temporarily, I'd remove her for a day or so just to disorient her. I've done that with other cichlids with some success but never had an angel that aggressive except with another angel. Returning her to the tank with the lights out will further distract her, especially with new plants. She'll have to reestablish her territory. My current angels will move fish out of the way but they are with larger fish who can tolerate it. Smaller fish are less predictable. And I wouldn't think the dorsal would have any impact as I assume it was already present when she moved.

bettafanatic
Yes I can move her to my white skirt tetra tank for a day or two. Yes her dorsal fin has been like that since I got her in December. I just wasn't sure if her being kept in an overcrowded, unheated tank would have caused her to be more territorial. I'll move her to my 55g and plant my new plants and then move her back in a couple days and see what happens. Thank you!

fallfever said:
If you have a place to keep her temporarily, I'd remove her for a day or so just to disorient her. I've done that with other cichlids with some success but never had an angel that aggressive except with another angel. Returning her to the tank with the lights out will further distract her, especially with new plants. She'll have to reestablish her territory. My current angels will move fish out of the way but they are with larger fish who can tolerate it. Smaller fish are less predictable. And I wouldn't think the dorsal would have any impact as I assume it was already present when she moved.

fallfever
I think that's a great idea and the white skirts can probably handle her. There really is no telling how the former tank impacted her but this is not typical for an angel. You're being a good fishkeeper though. Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

bettafanatic
fallfever said:
I think that's a great idea and the white skirts can probably handle her. There really is no telling how the former tank impacted her but this is not typical for an angel. You're being a good fishkeeper though. Good luck! Let us know how it works out.
I sure will and thank you so much! Ya I wasn't sure if this was normal or not as I've never kept angels before.

Latest threads

Top Bottom