Angel Acting Strange

Aprilrrussell

Reaction score
One of my angelfish is currently hovering listlessly at the bottom of the tank. He seems to be trying to hide. Also appears to be gasping for breath. Hasn’t had an appetite for several days. What could be wrong? The other fish seem fine and I just did a water change.

Attachments

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Could be stress; usually when fish are gasping for air they sit at the surface so I don't quite think that's what's going on here

OP
Aprilrrussell

Aprilrrussell

Reaction score
Princethepurplebetta said:
What other fisg do you have? Whats the perameters? Do you have lots of plants for him?
I have one larger angel fish, a loach, a sucker fish and a snail. There’s a large hollow rock and a small plant for them. I wasn’t able to test parameters today but he’s the only one acting stressed.

bruh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What's your tank size?

kayla.s

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had the same thing happen with one of my angels these past few weeks. Going from being an absolute pig during feeding time to just hiding at the back of the tank and not eating for about a week. Still not too sure what caused it, but she seems to be on the mend as she's taking a little more interest in food slowly. I was quite certain that she would starve to death but it seems like after a week of this behaviour she's getting hungry and wants to eat again. Sorry I can't help much, but maybe just offer some hope that yours will come around too. As for the heavy breathing, are you getting enough circulation and surface agitation in your tank?

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Any signs of aggression from the larger angelfish? Angels can be territorial at times, which can result in the weaker fish becoming a victI'm to constant bullying.

Kalyke

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have 3 baby angelfish about "dime" size at the moment and know that they can get territorial as older fish. I have 2 older fish (about 5-6 inches tall) in another tank, but I keep the small ones separate from the big ones. Buying and introducing angelfish can be a problem because baby angelfish simply do not have the strength to fight back and they are also slow fish, so they would be easy to catch (by other fish who might want to do them harm). My plan is that if they are introduced to do it later on when the baby angelfish are almost the same size. In the meantime, I keep them in another tank (I bought them as babys because they were cheaper that way, and you can also get a group of them growing up together before the territorial hormones kick in).

In your case, I would get another tank going, and keep the angels apart for at least a few months. Easier said than done. There are breeder mesh inserts that can separate fish in a large tank (so you don't need to buy new heater/air pump etc.). I feel that all people who have an aquarium should have an extra set up in case they need to isolate fish. Even a 10-gallon set-up can grow out baby fish.

New Threads