Anenome is shrinking - not good.

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i got myself a malu anenome this week and he seems to be a bit sad - he's open but definitely shrinking. Help!

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK ... Check water par's first ...
Is it shrinking with lights off, low or high. Mine shrinks when the lights are off.
I think you have a sebae, right ? He need lots of light ...! Have you feed him anything yet ?

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've noticed he's shrinkled up day and night - not just at a certain time. He has settled just out of the direct light but still has enough good light reaching him. He's a purple tipped malu anemone.

I fed some shrimp to him and he ate it yesterday.
This morning I cannot tell if he is upside down or the right way up - he seems to have something protruding both ends! Looks like he has 2 feet basically.. :-[

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh my ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all 0. They were before I bought him and I just checked again - they're fine. The only thing that has changed is the tank got a bit colder the last 2 nights cos I left a window open - it was at 22 degree this morning rather than the usual 24.
I've just looked it him again and he seems to have filled up soe of his tentacles again - I read that it's quite normal for them to change shape and shrink and inflate again after first being introduced into a tank so I'm hoping that he's just getting used it it.
Will keep you updated!

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, all quite normal. Post a picture if you can. Feed him a little each day until he gets use to his new home.

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks I have just got home and he looks better - he has replanted his foot in the sand and he's fully open again. Maybe he just had a bad morning ;D

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I hope he continues to do better!

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They also deflate when they have to poo ! They inflate when hungry. If the mouth hangs open ... he sick. If he's loosing color (like mine), he
needs more light. (mine is very bleached ... it was a rescue purchase)

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
:'( This morning he's almost all gone! He is normal colour - just hardly any tentacles - he seems to have sucked them all in.
I have been watching thinking maybe a fish or crab is bothering him but I havent noticed any of them harrassing him. I'm hoping he will come out again now that the light is on.

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mine will completely disappear between the rocks during the day, when the lights are off. It is very normal ... What kind of clown do you have again ?

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
No I mean he has all shrivelled up - he has been better since the lights came back on but he's still little and ill looking. Do you think I should put him in QT tank incase he dies? Save me doing a lot of water changes etc

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Look at my anemone photos in my tank photo thread ... See if your looks like the second photo. Can you take a photo of yours ?

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok this is him on day 1 -

38.jpg

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh I forgot ... Do not move him to QT ...! This will only stress him out even more. Wait it out.

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
He is what we in the states call a Sebae Anemone (Heteractis crispa). Are his tentacles falling off ?

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok wont move him then - this is the pic of him today - i switched off the light just to get a better pic of him  because he doesn't show up with the light so bright on the white sand. To give you an indication, when I first got him I think he was about 9 or 10 cm's across and now he's about 5 cm's across.

clear.gif

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
No the tenticles are definitely not fall off but they're shrivelled up and small - there are a few poking around but not as full as they were when I fisrst got him

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK ... Is he eating ? Can you feed him ? Has he eaten anything ?

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes he ate some flakes and shrimp the last 2 days. I am going to get him some fresh shrimp and muscles today when I get my RO water.

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Good ... His mouth looks open .. is it ?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom