Question Anemones Affect Clownfish Spawning?

JtheFishMan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If anyone had success breeding Clownfish, are anemones needed to make them spawn? I was considering getting a Bubble Tip Anemone, but from recent research, I am considering not getting one. My goal is to breed the Clownfish, but I don’t really want an anemone. So, has anyone had success making Clownfish spawn without an anemone?

Thanks,
JtheFishMan

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
I've never tried breeding them, but you can't "make" fish breed/spawn. The best we can do is provide conditions that replicate those that would normally trigger spawning, and then it's up to nature.
I have seen many successful clownfish breeders that don't have anemones. Particularly these days, where a lot of the clowns we buy are captive bred, and have never seen anemones.
I have also seen many clownfish owners that have a known mated pair, hosted by an anemone, that never spawn. (My percula pair never even looked like spawning).
We had a member here a few years back that was successfully breeding clowns. I can't remember who it was, I think she was from the UK, but they did post videos etc, so try searching Fishlore, you might find some interesting threads about clownfish breeding.

JtheFishMan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, thank you. I don’t think I’m going to get the Bubble Tip, because it’s just too much. Hopefully, I can fulfill the needed parameters and environment perfect enough for the Clownfish to breed.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If anyone had success breeding Clownfish, are anemones needed to make them spawn? I was considering getting a Bubble Tip Anemone, but from recent research, I am considering not getting one. My goal is to breed the Clownfish, but I don’t really want an anemone. So, has anyone had success making Clownfish spawn without an anemone?

Thanks,
JtheFishMan

As mentioned above by ryanr, one of the misconceptions about clownfish these days is that they need 'nems to do well, which is a bit of a joke since most clowns are captive bred these days and have never seen a 'nem in their captive bred lives. Clownfish are fine without them, particularly when they don't even known what to do with one. I also agree it has to do more with replicating the conditions that allow nature to run it's course so to speak that are more conducive to allow clowns to breed.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom