Anemone split after big tank clean

Salth2onewb

Our anemone split after a big tank clean. I’ve read it’s not the best circumstance for a split. I am going to check the water values and the rest of the fish look fine - so does the tank btw. I’m just worried it may die. Should I be worried? Any advice? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 9

ChrissFishes01

How long have you had it? Water parameters are going to be the most helpful things here, IMO.

Lots of anemones will split after a stress event (such as a large tank cleaning or something similar), but it's not always bad. The main thing to look out for is rotting and gaping mouths. If you begin to see the nem lose form, or fall to pieces, it's time to throw it away before it disintegrates into your tank. A gaping mouth can be saved, but a lot of the times that's a good sign that the anemone is near the brink, and will need some great conditions to be saved.

I'd leave them be for now - get your water parameters, and leave everything else the same. Don't try to feed them or move them - they'll recover on their own, provided the tank is in good shape.

My biggest concern is actually the powerhead that looks really near the two anemones. There's no guard on it, is there? I've had nems walk into powerheads before, and it's not pretty. I'd order a guard ASAP, especially if they're climbing the walls so near the powerhead.

Salth2onewb

First, thanks for responding. I’m not sure what you mean by a guard on the power heads, but what I did do is move them away from them a put the wire from the heater on the other side of the power head so that the anemones can’t get close.

I was concerned that the tentacles look dark, but I’ve seen this before. Also, the lights are now off, but I can see one still retracted and stuck to the glass - not unusual. The other one is also retracted and on the sand - also not unusual. I will leave them alone for now and see how they are. I may also have to deal with the temperature it is usually 78 and now it is up some. Thanks again for responding.

ChrissFishes01

First, thanks for responding. I’m not sure what you mean by a guard on the power heads, but what I did do is move them away from them a put the wire from the heater on the other side of the power head so that the anemones can’t get close.

I was concerned that the tentacles look dark, but I’ve seen this before. Also, the lights are now off, but I can see one still retracted and stuck to the glass - not unusual. The other one is also retracted and on the sand - also not unusual. I will leave them alone for now and see how they are. I may also have to deal with the temperature it is usually 78 and now it is up some. Thanks again for responding.
You can get plastic guards to put over your powerheads to make sure your anemones don't get sucked into them as they pass by. IMO, it's a must-have in tanks with exposed pumps like that. After dealing with one blended anemone, I never want to deal with another!

Dark tentacles aren't usually a big deal. When the nem retracts, the pigments in the tentacles gather, and they appear darker. Colors will vary when they're extended as well. The only color I'd consider to be troublesome is white or clear.

Salth2onewb

You can get plastic guards to put over your powerheads to make sure your anemones don't get sucked into them as they pass by. IMO, it's a must-have in tanks with exposed pumps like that. After dealing with one blended anemone, I never want to deal with another!

Dark tentacles aren't usually a big deal. When the nem retracts, the pigments in the tentacles gather, and they appear darker. Colors will vary when they're extended as well. The only color I'd consider to be troublesome is white or clear.
I will look for power head guards - thanks for letting me know about them. As far as the mouth - I’ve seen it looks “bubbly” … I’m hoping I’m not reading it wrong and the mouth is really gaping and not bubbly.

ChrissFishes01

I will look for power head guards - thanks for letting me know about them. As far as the mouth - I’ve seen it looks “bubbly” … I’m hoping I’m not reading it wrong and the mouth is really gaping and not bubbly.
You'd likely know if it was gaping open - it's usually very obvious. Usually the nem starts to droop and look saggy too - more so than they usually do when they retract. A bit bubbly might just mean it's tensed up a bit - understandable, after being split in half.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PeteStevers
Replies
Views
jdhef
Replies
Views
Ejmonahan
Replies
Views