Anemone not getting enough light??

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by showjumper_girl2002, Dec 18, 2012.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002Valued MemberMember

I have a 125 gal reef tank. Water parameters are good with just a trace amount of nitrates. I have a bubble tip anemone that isn't wanting to open much. He was doing great but I added a bunch of new LR and I think he might be a little shaded from the light because it was after changing the rock around that he started to not open up as big and seems to open less and less as the weeks go by =( is it possible that he needs more light? If so should I move him or just let him figure it out? I was told bubble tips don't tend to move too much on their own so maybe I should help him? Lol please help me get my anemone happy again! =)

2. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

All anemones will move by themselves what ever you do. Don't try to move you can do more harm than good if you can gently move the rock she is attached to. Plus she could be reacting to the nitrates in the water. That is how I know nitrates are in water my LTA well start closing up and not blooming like she normally is. Plus they need a gentle flow to bring food to them if you do not target or have her hosting a clown.

3. OP
    OP
    showjumper_girl2002

I have two power heads creating really good water flow, I can see her waving in the current. I also have a pair of mocha clowns that are using her as a host. I can't move the rock she's on as it is supporting other rocks. Should i go to my LRS and buy a nitrate removing pad for the sump?

4. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

I never used one but it could help. I dose NO2/NO3x (every month)in my sump and have 3 bags active carbon in it too.

5. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

New Live Rock? Have you got a mini-cycle going on? Nitrates up to about 5ppm should be tolerable for a BTA. My BTA happily lives with about 2ppm.

Jessi is correct, anemones will move to a spot they like, and if it feels it is not getting enough light, it'll start moving. More than likely, adding the rock has changed the flow in the tank, and your 'nem may just be getting used to it.

Also, highly possible is that the 'nem is "purging". Every so often, anemones will expel all water inside them, and replace with fresh water. This can take a couple of days, and is completely normal behaviour.

6. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Ryan is more than likely right about the purging I have yet to see mine do it but that could be the case.

7. OP
    OP
    showjumper_girl2002

At first I thought it was purging but it's been 2 to 3 weeks now :/ it opens a little bit but not much. I added the live rock a month or more ago. I'm starting to think it is the nitrates. They're not super high but are higher than they've been in the past and higher than im comfortable with. How can I control the nitrates without having to add chemicals?

8. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi Jessi, NO2/NO3x ?
    Or are you referring to Red Sea's NO3:pO4-X, which requires daily dosing?

Sorry, not hijacking, just haven't heard of NO2/NO3x

9. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Yes I meant that I only dose once a month like my dad told me. Seeing I have 3 bags of active carbon in my sump he said I could dose once a month. Plus me over skimming I never have had phosphates.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice