And things were going so well...help!

1. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Having good luck so far with my new Panda...but a major incident today with my female swordtail.
    1)Noticed today the Zoro, her mate, was bugging her a lot, trying to 'kiss' her constantly, is what it looked like!
    2)Suddenly this evening I noticed her at the bottom of the tank, trying to get behind a rock and away from him. Her fins had a yellow tint to them and her gills looked silver. He was relentlessly poking at her.
    3)I quickly scooped her out into my Q tank, after changing half of its water out and treating it with Prime. Turned off the main aquarium lights to help relax my other fish in case I disturbed them when removing her.
    4)Tested my main tank's water:ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate pretty much 0. Everyone else seems happy and fine.
    5)Upon observing her in the Q tank, seems like she's balancing on her tail, with her nose straight up, not moving much otherwise.

Recently she must have given birth because there is a baby swordtail in my tank, don't know if there were others though, may have happened at night and they were eaten.

Is she at the end of her lifespan, do many fish die after spawning? She is such a beauty but I think I am losing her. Suggestions? Thoughts?

2. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I have had female guppies die after giving birth. What is the male to female ratio you have. The males can literally harass the females to death. Why dont you have any nitrates? Is your tank planted? Good Luck

3. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

So a fish will just harass another to death? Terrible! Yes I found it odd that I do not have any nitates, I am going to redo the test, only fake plants in my tank so that does not make sense to me either.
    I just checked Espada in the Q tank, she is dead:'(

4. cwb141 Member Member

:( Sorry

5. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

So I just did my nitrate test again, it's 3, I guess I didn't shake the tube long enough the first time. Using a API test kit (liquid) am I still reading something wrong because this reading so low doesn't make sense to me.
    By the way to answer a previous question I had 1 male swordtail, 2 females swordtails and two female platies, my LFS said the platies could count as his 'harem' Not true?

6. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I am so sorry you lost her.

Hmmm.....that is pretty low, when did you last perform any tank maint.? And what did you do? Have you tested you pH lately?

7. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Sorry she didnt make it. Yes a fish can and will harass another one to death. Maybe the stress from having fry and the male harassing her, she could not take it. I think platies and swordtails can cross breed not 100% sure. Sometimes you have to really shake #2 bottle of the nitrate test. Good Luck

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry you lost her. :(

Shake the bottles for the nitrate test really hard and bang on the counter for more like a minute for a good reading

9. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

My last water change was last Thursday, and I am using Prime now. My pH is 7.5. Since my tank has only been running for 3 months, I have read that as a fairly new tank your nitrate can read pretty low. I will do yet another test tomorrow and bang the bottle on the counter as Meenu suggested.

10. Randog Initiate Member

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Sometimes a female live bearer will be weakened after having given birth. It can be hard on her body. The attentions of a unsimpathetic suiter will tend to cause harm to her tender condition. A good thing to do is to put her in another container for a few days so she can be rested before going back to daily life.

I know that you didn't catch the birth before it happened and I simpathize with you in the loss. Sometimes they sneak passed you. Good luck with the rest and I hope the new little one grows up healthy and strong.

11. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Yes, she was a beautiful fish. The hard lessons one learns when starting out!