And the Betta Bug wins!!

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have turned the lights out for a short period-- but I have live plants in there so they need at least 10 hours of lights on.??? I am hoping Spike will just figure out the the "guy next door" doesn't really wanna fight. You would think that after being in those cups stacked all around other bettas he would be OK-- he wasn't flaring in the store-- maybe this is just proof that he is feeling better now that he is free from the Wally World Prison. PS... he is too busy flaring to see the food I keep putting in. And I found a snail that must have hitched a ride on one of the live plants... I'm leaving him in there for now-- hope it doesn't get out of control.

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would remove the snail ASAP. Remove every snail you find. They do come in on the plants, and can quickly take over your tank. They are different than the snails that you buy for your tank. They even end up in the filter. If you remove the snails whey you see them, you will keep the problem under control, but if you leave them... the will multiply!!!

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Timesdragonfly said:
I would remove the snail ASAP. Remove every snail you find. They do come in on the plants, and can quickly take over your tank. They are different than the snails that you buy for your tank. They even end up in the filter. If you remove the snails whey you see them, you will keep the problem under control, but if you leave them... the will multiply!!!
Ok, but I am kinda girly, and I don't wanna touch a slimy snail... any suggestions on how to get him out without touching it??

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
yup-- thats my boy! Well I removed the mirror-- didn't help. He flares at every surface except the back where the mirror was. The tank is on a shelf that is built into our wall, even when I turn the lights on it doesn't help, so I think I might have to consider moving the tank-- husband is gonna love that. He is proving to be one BAD A** Betta, you just ask the guy next to him- lol. ;D
Hmm.. one possibility is that his flaring is a result of his feeling the irritation of the open nerve endings in his tail due to the fin rot but not likely since he always leaves the one side alone. Does it make a difference in his flaring if you have something like a few pages of paper flat against a wall?

Tweezers might be the way to remove the snails.. check for any snail buddies to the one you found and anything that might be snail eggs with a magnifying glass to be sure.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hung two wash clothes (one on each side) and that seems to work. I am still looking for a more eye pleasing tactic though. I havent started medicating him yet, I am hoping that the new clean water will work wonders. But if needed, I still have Cobalts medicine.

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
mabe some of that aquarium back drop paper would work?

as far as the snails go, they aren't that gross. or, you can have the hubby pull em out! Seriously though, I think someone here uses a turkey baster.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
I hung two wash clothes (one on each side) and that seems to work. I am still looking for a more eye pleasing tactic though. I havent started medicating him yet, I am hoping that the new clean water will work wonders. But if needed, I still have Cobalts medicine.
Do you have a place with a good selection of aquarium backdrop? We tried that with some but it was too glossy & our Betta Mario flared at it.. But that was with a 10 gallon glass tank, so I'd try timesdragonfly's suggestion.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FLBettaCouple said:
Genie said:
I hung two wash clothes (one on each side) and that seems to work.  I am still looking for a more eye pleasing tactic though.  I havent started medicating him yet, I am hoping that the new clean water will work wonders.  But if needed, I still have Cobalts medicine.
Do you have a place with a good selection of aquarium backdrop?  We tried that with some but it was too glossy & our Betta Mario flared at it.. But that was with a 10 gallon glass tank, so I'd try timesdragonfly's suggestion.
i am gonna try that tomorrow. If not, I am thinking craft paper or wrapping paper-- the foil kind

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's a good idea too. Maybe scrapbooking paper at Michael's? I've seen fish-themed papers there.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I cut a section of wrapping paper t size and put it on the back of my 5 gal. Kritter Keeper. It isn't 'fishy" but looks great. It is light blue and has stars all over it.

CherryRose

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FLBettaCouple said:
That's a good idea too.  Maybe scrapbooking paper at Michael's?  I've seen fish-themed papers there.
Well I am the scrapbook queen-- I even sell Creative Memories products, so I am gonna come up with something crafty!! LOL

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
Well I am the scrapbook queen-- I even sell Creative Memories products, so I am gonna come up with something crafty!! LOL
LOL.. well, you're all set then. My mom used to do that too & we'll both be looking forward to seeing pictures of what you come up with.

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
Glad to hear of another rescue from walmart prison. Love the name. Yellow bettas are beautiful and I hope your guy turns into a healthy happy brilliant yellow that you'll have for a long time. Do you have any of those Betta color pellets for him? or tropical fish color pellets?
Oh me too! He was in a quarantine tank for a couple of days and looked better even just in there (one gallon). I picked a day hen I would be able to be home for most of the day and gave him a trial run in my 29 gallon- and he is in heaven! So far the only thing he is seriously trying to attack is his reflection in the heater. lol. He seems to especially like squirming through the live plants. The top edges of his longer fins are curled, and I can see them unfolding already. I got a photo of him in his sad little cup, so I can compare after a few months in case he changes color. I do have color pellets for him, and he has blackish green edges to some of his gills, so there may be color change in his future now that he is warm and safe. Such a wonderful addition to my home! (pictures to follow soon) I had never seen a yellow betta, and had never seen a white one either (the photos here are so lovely!).

--R

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We saw a yellow guy at the pet store today - yes, we're on vacation and the 1st day we go to the pet store to look at bettas - they are beautiful and we look forward to seeing Iago. Genie got herself a find too, huh with that handsome white.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom