And the Betta Bug wins!!

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok-- went to walmart for non-fish things on my lunch break. I past the bettas and there he was--- an all white male betta. I had never seen one that was really all white. So while I don't have his permanent home yet, I had to buy him. I will get him something suitable this weekend. I just couldn't leave him there-- At Walmart they might have killed him!! AHHH my husband is gonna kill me! (PS-- I am going to keep him in my big aquarium inside a net breeder until I buy his tank this weekend) ;D ;D

heatmisr

Reaction score
congrats Genie! I am sure he's a beauty. I can't wait to see pics!

Nicole

OP
genie

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am at work right now, where I have Cobalt, my other betta. (in a real tank) I added water to my new bettas cup that he came in. I put the new fish on another desk, because he kept looking at Cobalt with jealousy--lol! I can't wait to get him a permanent home. I was thinking about getting cobalt a bigger tank and adding a divider, but I am unsure.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
Ok-- went to walmart for non-fish things on my lunch break. I past the bettas and there he was--- an all white male betta. I had never seen one that was really all white. So while I don't have his permanent home yet, I had to buy him. I will get him something suitable this weekend. I just couldn't leave him there-- At Walmart they might have killed him!! AHHH my husband is gonna kill me! (PS-- I am going to keep him in my big aquarium inside a net breeder until I buy his tank this weekend) ;D ;D
I can't blame you one bit - that's pretty much the way we got Angel. I went to petco for some stuff we needed, passed the bettas and saw her. It didn't help matters when she swam over & looked right at me. How can you resist an all-white Betta? We didn't have a home to put her in either when we bought her. LOL. Just tell your husband "everyone else is doing it too".

Can't wait to see your little guy! Stacy suggests we hook them up on a date. lol

Congrats on a great find and I'm glad he got a good home.

OP
genie

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, I have to say that from your picture, Angel is prettier. I think that Spike (that is his name now-- from the TV shows Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Angel) needs some TLC, and lots of betta food!! But he has already shown lots of personality. I'll post a pic as soon as I can get him some more swimming room. He is not happy with me right now-- that or else he is camera shy. I think I have a thing for white fish-- I have Spike, and 2 albino cories (no names yet-- still trying to figure that out). I don't have any-- but I love white skirt tetras. I guess its a thing.

Radcliffe

Reaction score
Me too! lol

I was also at Walmart today and finally broke down and took a betta home. I had been looking at a pale pale yellow one but it was gone. Being sad at thinking that the poor thing might have passed away, I took their current pale yellow one home. He is in a 1 gallon quarantine at the moment, with some gravel from an established tank nd a live plant to rest in. He is so expressive! It is like he pouts at me, his whole body going limp. Maybe he knows that if he doesn't have disease and plays super nice, that the 29 gallon would be his new home. (if he doesn't play nice there is a ten gallon still empty that he can live in) I am really curious to see if he keeps his sunshine look, or changes colors once he has a gourmet diet and nice warm water for a while. So yeah, I have a new betta that looks like sunshine, and is named Iago.

:)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
Well, I have to say that from your picture, Angel is prettier. I think that Spike (that is his name now-- from the TV shows Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Angel) needs some TLC, and lots of betta food!! But he has already shown lots of personality. I'll post a pic as soon as I can get him some more swimming room. He is not happy with me right now-- that or else he is camera shy. I think I have a thing for white fish-- I have Spike, and 2 albino cories (no names yet-- still trying to figure that out). I don't have any-- but I love white skirt tetras. I guess its a thing.
Thanks, being a young betta girl, she'll love to hear that. Probably Spike is a combination of natural stress from the changes, happy to be out of wally world and in a good home and curious & excited to explore the new world he finds himself in but you know how Bettas love to be stinkers about photos. I can imagine being at walmart, that he'll need a bit of extra care but know you'll happily give it to him and have him at his 100% soon. I've been in a lot of walmarts in my travels and never seen a walmart selling live fish, I was surprised to hear that some still do but I'm glad you rescued Spike from there. Whenever we can get a white male, he'll be named Cloud (after the hero of the Final Fantasy VII playstation game) to go with the Angel name.

We love white fish too, especially me (Dave) - I'd carry angel around in a portable tank if that were a good thing for her.

Glad to see you're still with us - your husband know about Spike? Good luck with turning him into a full stinker asap.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Radcliffe said:
Me too! lol
I was also at Walmart today and finally broke down and took a betta home. I had been looking at a pale pale yellow one but it was gone. Being sad at thinking that the poor thing might have passed away, I took their current pale yellow one home. He is in a 1 gallon quarantine at the moment, with some gravel from an established tank nd a live plant to rest in. He is so expressive! It is like he pouts at me, his whole body going limp. Maybe he knows that if he doesn't have disease and plays super nice, that the 29 gallon would be his new home. (if he doesn't play nice there is a ten gallon still empty that he can live in) I am really curious to see if he keeps his sunshine look, or changes colors once he has a gourmet diet and nice warm water for a while. So yeah, I have a new betta that looks like sunshine, and is named Iago.
:)
Glad to hear of another rescue from walmart prison. Love the name. Yellow bettas are beautiful and I hope your guy turns into a healthy happy brilliant yellow that you'll have for a long time. Do you have any of those Betta color pellets for him? or tropical fish color pellets?

Timesdragonfly

Reaction score
Maybe you can name the cory cats Oz and Zander to stick with the the Buffy theme... or name one of them Drucilla (sp?)

OP
genie

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Timesdragonfly said:
Maybe you can name the cory cats Oz and Zander to stick with the the Buffy theme... or name one of them Drucilla (sp?)
Good Idea - lol. Actually I noticed that one of my cory's has NO EYES??? I have only had him for 2 days, and it doesn't look like an injury so I think I bought him that way-- so for him I am going with Mr. Magoo.

As for Spike-- I dropped $100 to get him a 5 gallon eclipse system and everything that goes in it. And yes the husband knows-- he just rolls his eyes. Here is the funny part. I put the tank in front of a mirror I have on a shelf. He doesn't flare at that, instead he flares at the sides of the tank. I guess he can see his reflection.

antisen

Reaction score
Are you putting the white betta and the albino corys together? That would make for a pretty cool tank.

Also, no eyes!? I think that warrants posting a picture. How does he get around?

Timesdragonfly

Reaction score
Perhaps your cory cat has cloudy eye which, on an albino fish, would make him look like he didn't have eyes. for the fish's sake, I hope that's the case. I think it's caused by poor water quality, and thus, it should clear up with good care.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
Good Idea - lol. Actually I noticed that one of my cory's has NO EYES??? I have only had him for 2 days, and it doesn't look like an injury so I think I bought him that way-- so for him I am going with Mr. Magoo.

As for Spike-- I dropped $100 to get him a 5 gallon eclipse system and everything that goes in it. And yes the husband knows-- he just rolls his eyes. Here is the funny part. I put the tank in front of a mirror I have on a shelf. He doesn't flare at that, instead he flares at the sides of the tank. I guess he can see his reflection.
Yea, I'd like to see a pic of Mr. Magoo too. LOL.. Spike sounds like a character.

OP
genie

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, getting a pic of Mr. Magoo would require him to sit still-- probably not gonna happen but I have a great camera so I will try.

Any suggestions for keeping Spike from seeing his reflection in the aquarium while the light is on?? He is freaking my husband out, and I am worried that it will cause too much stress on him.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
Well, getting a pic of Mr. Magoo would require him to sit still-- probably not gonna happen but I have a great camera so I will try.

Any suggestions for keeping Spike from seeing his reflection in the aquarium while the light is on?? He is freaking my husband out, and I am worried that it will cause too much stress on him.
Does it change anything if the mirror is covered? We have a 5 gallon hex also and have had 2 bettas in it.. the 1st got moved to a 10 gallon tank.. never a flare from either even if the lights on the 5 gallon are on & the room is dark. With the acrylic surface he shouldn't see his reflection in the tank walls so maybe some trick of light is causing him to see himself in the mirror?

OP
genie

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll try removing the mirror-- I can see reflection inside the tank though. If that is the problem it will be an easy fix, although the mirror looks really cool and makes it look like the tank is bigger inside.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
I'll try removing the mirror-- I can see reflection inside the tank though. If that is the problem it will be an easy fix, although the mirror looks really cool and makes it look like the tank is bigger inside.
hmm.. I can't see any reflection inside Angel's 5 gallon hex.. it might have to do with the tank placement in the room and the light sources in the room.. funny how light can bounce around & all. I hope the mirror being removed solves the problem.

I see a beautiful white male - is that Spike - under your name?

OP
genie

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yup-- that's my boy! Well I removed the mirror-- didn't help. He flares at every surface except the back where the mirror was. The tank is on a shelf that is built into our wall, even when I turn the lights on it doesn't help, so I think I might have to consider moving the tank-- husband is gonna love that. He is proving to be one BAD A** Betta, you just ask the guy next to him- lol. ;D

Timesdragonfly

Reaction score
hmmm... I have GrI'm in a hex five and he does flare at his reflection sometimes. Have you tried leaving the tank light off for a while while Spike gets used to his new home. Then maybe you could turn the light on for short times, or only when your in the room, and kind of ease him into it. IDK if it will work, but it may be worth a try before you go moving everything; I know what a headach that is!!!

New Threads