And now it begins

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just won these 50 eggs for $4.25USD

I am so excited to watch them hatch and raise them and then sadly sell them.
Tom

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good luck Tom and congrats on your succesfull bidding! I went to your link you added in the post and checked it out. It looked simple enough eh? Looks like alot of fun and possibly profitable as well for you. And those photos of the killfish.. hmm didnt realize there were such a nice assortment! very nice indeed.~ ;D 'Have fun'!!

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks, I am thinking of bidding on some more later dpending on how the first batch do and after I bid on 2 books for only a penny and I have seen them in stores going for about $10-20 each and I can get the two for a penny.
Tom

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It now all depends on their shipping method. Will these eggs survive the trip? Have you checked out the sellers feedback? That can let you know if they have happy satisfied buyers/customers. I found that ebay has ALOT of aquarium supplies and yes, books are well worth shopping for there, as they can be pretty expensive in the stores.
Its another great place to find aquarium decorations.. rocks...wood...the list goes on forever!
Good luck! ~ kate

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
capekate said:
It now all depends on their shipping method. Will these eggs survive the trip? Have you checked out the sellers feedback? That can let you know if they have happy satisfied buyers/customers. I found that ebay has ALOT of aquarium supplies and yes, books are well worth shopping for there, as they can be pretty expensive in the stores.
Its another great place to find aquarium decorations.. rocks...wood...the list goes on forever!
Good luck! ~ kate
The seller has only 100% positive feedback and they said that the eggs are in the 'dry season' of their life right now, which means that the eggs will be fine to shipother wise they would hatch and they would all die. If you know anything about killifish, the annual ones lay the eggs in the substrate in the end of the wet season and then the pond dries up and kills the parents but when the rain comes again a few months later the eggs get wet and start to hatch. If you couldn't tell, I have done my reaearch on these fish to ensure they will be brought up in the best habitat I am able to provide for them.
Tom

Which one should I buy next?

Tom

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oooh I have been so tempted by those auctions! Please let us know how it goes?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Will do, so if you want you can order some for yourself.
Tom

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cool pickup! Those will make great pics as you raise them.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know. When they get big enough I would put them in the 10 gallon with the amano shrimp if they won't get eaten and then from there, they will either go to the pet store or ebay. Which one of the 3 that I posted, do you think I should try and bid on next? He would combine the shipping if I order more.
Tom

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tom said:
I know. When they get big enough I would put them in the 10 gallon with the amano shrimp if they won't get eaten and then from there, they will either go to the pet store or ebay. Which one of the 3 that I posted, do you think I should try and bid on next? He would combine the shipping if I order more.
Tom
hard call, they're all great.. but i'd go with the 3rd one myself.

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Tom said:
Tom
Perfection!
If I do start up a 4th tank, I think Killifish would be a great project for it!
Everything I have read about them has been really tempting!

:)

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nice pics! ahh.. lets see.. hmm...Im partial to ebay lot #2 with the bright yellow and then the bright red/orange on the tail. It justs pops out at me, and also reminds me of the playts. 3# is awsome for sure, the the blue markings and longer fins. How I wish the LFS had a nice selection like those, I would definitly want a few of them. Good luck on the bids! ;D

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Radcliffe said:
Tom said:
Tom
Perfection!
If I do start up a 4th tank, I think Killifish would be a great project for it!
Everything I have read about them has been really tempting!

:)
I might get a used 10 gallon for the job of holding the fry after they hatch, unless one of you know if amano shrimp will eat them or not.
Tom

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not sure on the shrimp, but murphy's law of fish says they'll eat whatever you don't want them to. ..actually, i read an account of them trying to eat smaller fish here: http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_shrimp.php.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I guess I will have to buy another empty tank then when I go and pick up my new canopy some time this week. ;D ;D
Tom

Edit:
I just read an article on wikipedea that stated that the killifish will eat the larvae of mosquitoes and where there is a lack of killfish, there is an outbreak of malaria. So I could put the fish out side with an uncovered tank and let the mosquitoes lay eggs and then get eaten by the fish and we won't really see any mosquitoes again this year. (As long as we don't have another outbreak of wasps like last year)

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tom said:
I guess I will have to buy another empty tank then when I go and pick up my new canopy some time this week. ;D ;D
Tom

Edit:
I just read an article on wikipedea that stated that the killifish will eat the larvae of mosquitoes and where there is a lack of killfish, there is an outbreak of malaria. So I could put the fish out side with an uncovered tank and let the mosquitoes lay eggs and then get eaten by the fish and we won't really see any mosquitoes again this year. (As long as we don't have another outbreak of wasps like last year)
Good luck with a natural repellent! lol.. Hope your killifish dont get too fat haha...

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hope we have some mosquiotes so they can at least get a supplement instead of just the usual food I would feed them. I still haven't heard any word on if they came into the country or not yet. I hope they come in soon.
Tom

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The eggs finally came. The container the fry/eggs will stay in is huge and it came with a lot of food for the little guys.
Tom

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh yay! Glad to hear thye got here safe and I look forward to hearing abut your new fry!

--R

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I put the water in as soon as I got them at lunch a few hours ago and when I came home to look at the progress, I saw one little tiny very tiny 'fry'. I am not sure if it is a fish or the food that came with it and got in with the fry by accident or not, either way I am very happy and excited.
Tom

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom