And Again... Found Tiny Bugs In Tank? Important

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by NC122606, Apr 15, 2019.

1. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

So earlier I found snails in my tank so, got rid of them. Then now I’m finding tiny shrimp like bugs in it. Is it bad?

2. Giul

GiulWell Known MemberMember

Could you post a picture?

3. windrunner9189

windrunner9189Well Known MemberMember

yes, post a picture?

look up "scud." does the creature look like that?

4. OP
    OP
    NC122606

Yes it does look like that! :)

5. windrunner9189

i have them, too, but i haven't taken any action to get rid of them.
    unfortunately, if you have moss, they will devour it. other than moss, they will eat any detritus and algae. another con about them is that they will establish a breeding population. you may eventually start seeing babies emerge from the substrate.
    i've seen a couple methods to get rid of them. a natural/safer option is to have some predatory fish. this can include gouramis, bettas, and maybe guppies. you could try taking out all the hardscape for a while, and stirring up the substrate every couple hours to give the fish a better chance of catching the buggers.
    the chemical method is to pour sparkling water into the tank after removing all livestock and sensitive plants. i've never tried it, but i've read about it.

6. OP
    OP
    NC122606

Owch, I have java moss... But thanks!

7. windrunner9189

you're welcome! i have yet to try the sparkling water, and i'm not sure if it's safe to add without hurting plants or your cycle.
    i'd imagine the damage made by the buggers wouldn't be very significant until they start breeding. meanwhile they still help clean up, like shrimp do. but i've heard of situations where the scuds out compete other shrimp for food.
    scuds come hitch-hiking on plants, did you buy any plants recently? from now on, i recommend doing a bleach dip on your hardier plants.

8. OP
    OP
    NC122606

Thanks! Yeah I got those plants on Saturday and didn’t get to put them in until Sunday I have Italian Vals, Moneywarts, Banana Plants and some Java Moss. I still have some Moss leftover in another container.

9. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Small fish species will eat them, especially fry.