Ancistrus Sucker fish?

1. C

Craig Well Known Member Member

i got my sucker fish 2day i went 2 Grosvenor Tropicals in Belfast and i said 2 the man in the store can i get 1 of these plecos and he said how big is ur tank i told him 17gallons 63 litres and he said im not sellin u a pleco i'll give u a an ancistrus they only grow 2 about 4 - 5 inches, is an Ancistrus a female bristlenose??????? im gettin my platies on friday

2. OP
    OP
    C

did sum research there lookis like thats there scientific name for the bristlenose but mine looks 2 b a female r they all nocturnal?

3. OP
    OP
    C

its just like havin a mini ornament lol its stickin itself 2 all the ornaments i hav in my tank then it loves like the cave thing i hav and the mini log in the tank cause its so dark im guessin do they come alive at night????

4. f

fletch Member Member

They are generaly all nocturnal. But like humans they all have different preferences and personalitys. Some, like my sucking catfish, have grown to love the daytime within a few weeks. Others never get used to it.

5. OP
    OP
    C

shes still very shy ive only seen her out 3 times she moved along the bak of the glass of my tank then attached herself to the bak of my power filter she seems 2 b stayin away from the front of the tank and doesnt like bein out in the open i hope she settles in alright! :(

6. f

fletch Member Member

One day you may just find her out the front. try setting your light to go off a bit later at night. She will then get used to it being on for longer and accept it as normal.

7. OP
    OP
    C

as i type this lol she is flyin around the glass and is swimmin along the front so i spoke 2 soon so maybe she just sleeps at night and is active durin the day then :) :)

8. OP
    OP
    C

is it just me whos recognised that the sucker fish seems 2 crap alot????? lol sorry 2 b so graphic but they do

9. OP
    OP
    C

can u help me out again guys c the algae wafers when i drop me of those in do i take it out if she doesnt eat it all or do i just leave it ??? please help thanks C W

10. f

fishfreak Member Member

it should be fine do u have corys or shrimp the would eat it.

11. OP
    OP
    C

i dont have a cory cat yet and i dont hav any shrimp

12. f

fishfreak Member Member

it should okey if ever do get any cories u wouldnt have to worrie about feeding them but your sucker fish eat over a period of time

13. f

fletch Member Member

I noticed that too Craig. Im glad its not just mine thats a poo machine

14. OP
    OP
    C

all the time u look at it and its crappin i mean whats goin on like!!! :mad:

15. f

fishfreak Member Member

yea they do that alot i use to have one. ;D

16. OP
    OP
    C

i think my sucker fish is also havin trouble findin the algae wafer i drop in

17. OP
    OP
    C

what do i do guys will i just drop 1 in maybe half of 1 let her find then just leave it in 4 her 2 nibble at?? it is that ok?? scared of the ammonia levels goin up u c leavin food in? but the filter should take it in shouldnt it ahhhh i dont know so many questions sum1 please help me??? :'(lol

18. OP
    OP
    C

what do u think guys?

19. G

Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Just drop the wafer in at lights out, and she should easily find it.