Anchoring Floating Stem Plant Idea

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Things like hornwort and guppy grass... tired of it floating away from where you want it to go? Tired of burying bottom of it in substrate where it just rots underneath?

Use some plastic mesh and weave the plants in it and anchor the edges of the mesh under the substrate. Should keep it elevated to keep it from rotting, but keeps the plants from taking off to wherever the current pushes them...

Any other anchor ideas, share them away for others

(Ive also used a bottle cap with holes for other plants too)

Attachments

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nice idea. You could also wrap it around branchy driftwood or lay it between a few rocks or just let it cling to other plants if your tank is heavily planted but that makes it look a bit messy.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
I received my order of water wisteria today. Eighteen stems total. I tried for over an hour to get them to stay put. No dice:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Wrapped them back in the lead and just stuck them into the gravel substrate in frustration.

So, bottle capso_O...

Getting them isn't a problem. Cutting the "X"...not a problem. It's what to do next.

My question is, how many stems would you recommend poking through each cap? Would 3 be too many? I'd like to spread these out along the back wall.

And, there aren't any roots. Is that normal? Just stem down to a stub! Have I been taken to the cleaners?

Help!

I also posted this in another thread. I'm desperate for help.

Thanks!

OP
MissNoodle

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Mongo75 said:
I received my order of water wisteria today. Eighteen stems total. I tried for over an hour to get them to stay put. No dice:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Wrapped them back in the lead and just stuck them into the gravel substrate in frustration.

So, bottle capso_O...

Getting them isn't a problem. Cutting the "X"...not a problem. It's what to do next.

My question is, how many stems would you recommend poking through each cap? Would 3 be too many? I'd like to spread these out along the back wall.

And, there aren't any roots. Is that normal? Just stem down to a stub! Have I been taken to the cleaners?

Help!

I also posed this in another thread. I'm desperate for help.

Thanks!
It won't look as nice for a bit but id float it until some roots begin to form. Ive found any "rootless" stems I had didnt plant well until they grew roots.

Otherwise, a standard water bottle lid I would do only one stem each. I drilled holes in my lids rather than cutting an X.

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Only put one stem in each bottle cap, and give at least 2-3 inch separation for root growth and nutrient absorption. First make a new clean cut at bottom of stem before planting and make sure there are no leaves going into substrate root tabs would also help.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
NoodleKeeper said:
It won't look as nice for a bit but id float it until some roots begin to form. Ive found any "rootless" stems I had didnt plant well until they grew roots.

Otherwise, a standard water bottle lid I would do only one stem each. I drilled holes in my lids rather than cutting an X.
RHONDA PIMENTEL said:
Only put one stem in each bottle cap, and give at least 2-3 inch separation for root growth and nutrient absorption. First make a new clean cut at bottom of stem before planting and make sure there are no leaves going into substrate root tabs would also help.
They'll float and start to develop a root system? Cool. I was starting to wonder if I'd been taken. I knew over the long run, the lead wasn't a solution, and had forgotten that I heard about the bottle caps just recently.

And, snip off the bottom for a clean cut.

Done and done

Snipped plants are now happily floating around and trying to avoid filter intake tubes, lol.

Thank you all

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh sorry, forgot to add, I got my anchors at etsy 8 for 5 bucks and free shipping. They are plastic and work great.

OP
MissNoodle

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I got a potamogeton anchored into a hole drilled in pvc tubing. It had no roots yet and my fish kept knocking it from the substrate. Plus previous efforts to grow roots on these plants has failed when planted in substrate so I tried this option. Its growing new shoots and some roots now too. The hole is just enough to hold the stalk. Creates a hideaway for my loaches too.

Attachments

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yup. That's good. I just do that on my spiderwood trees with my anacharis and they just throw roots down, after I'd wrap them around the branches.

New Threads